Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 08:52 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvl View Post
I lived in Fairport for 28 yrs. Yes, the taxes are high but the schools were great, the roads were great, the town services were wonderful. To say that wages are low is a bit of a stretch. Not with the ppl I knew and lived around. We also kept our houses updated. Not sure if you are just talking inner city or what, but you couldn't be more incorrect from what I saw and lived.
Fairport is beautiful! The upkeep isn't cheap. They have nice roads which again aren't cheap. A great library. The canal which is WONDERFULLY maintained especially compared to some other nearby towns. Local restaurants. A butcher!!! How many places can claim to have butcher nowadays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You're right--property taxes are sky high here!

We have relatives who moved to TN and KY, and they're paying thousands less per year on homes with more square footage. A friend moved to SC in 2013 and is thrilled with her low property taxes, but she's complaining about some other tax they impose there. She also complains about the roads lol.
I lived in SC for 3 miserable years. I couldn't wait to move back to NY! Built my dream home and never planned on coming back. Those cheap taxes come with other problems....crappy roads...HORRIBLE schools and remember the adults went to those schools...There are TONS of taxes in SC that aren't property taxes on your house like people here are used to. Tax bills for water and sewer are more than triple what I pay in NY. Then there's the library, fire, etc tax bills. And our insurance plans were quite a bit more for both our cars and house. It does add up and is quite spendy considering what you get. Then again you do get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Mvl

102 posts, read 146,498 times
Yes! I forgot! My auto insurance more than doubled when I registered my car here in MI.
Another thing that you truly don't appreciate until you live somewhere that doesn't have it is car inspections. I know we always complained about inspections but it is a safety issue not only for the operator but for others on the road. Here they don't do inspections and you should SEE and HEAR some of the cars around here which probably contribute to the cost of auto insurance!
I also forgot to mention re zoning.....everyone here has "toys". Boats, snowmobiles, campers, pickups, etc and they are all sitting in driveways. I have one neighbor who has 3 boats, a fifth wheeler and 2 snowmobiles sitting in/ next to his driveway. Looks like a used car lot. And this is in a nice neighborhood! And nothing can be done. He apparently has 6 motorcycles in his walk out basement as well. Fire hazard?

Old 12-30-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvl View Post
Yes! I forgot! My auto insurance more than doubled when I registered my car here in MI.
Another thing that you truly don't appreciate until you live somewhere that doesn't have it is car inspections. I know we always complained about inspections but it is a safety issue not only for the operator but for others on the road. Here they don't do inspections and you should SEE and HEAR some of the cars around here which probably contribute to the cost of auto insurance!
I also forgot to mention re zoning.....everyone here has "toys". Boats, snowmobiles, campers, pickups, etc and they are all sitting in driveways. I have one neighbor who has 3 boats, a fifth wheeler and 2 snowmobiles sitting in/ next to his driveway. Looks like a used car lot. And this is in a nice neighborhood! And nothing can be done. He apparently has 6 motorcycles in his walk out basement as well. Fire hazard?
We were so amazed by the vehicles on the road in SC. No inspections there either. Bungee cords and duct tape holding pieces and parts together. I've never seen so many cracked windshields. That's dangerous because it affects the structural integrity of your vehicle.

Zoning was a nightmare. We were in an uncorporated part of the county. Junkyards we common front lawns....looked like Sanford & Son all over.

We had an HOA who was useless. They couldn't keep board members! In one month the entire board resigned, a replacement board was made, and they quit....all in one month! In SC, you're taxed on all those toys plus the registration. The tax is annual real property tax. And you already paid sales tax.

When I hit the NY border during my move back, I seriously thought about getting out of my SUV and kissing the ground! Oh to be back with normal people!!! I really DO appreciate what I have in the FLX and I'm not even originally from this part of the state.

I have absolutely no desire to ever relocate again. People keep telling me I'll want to go FL when I retire. I ask them if they have ever been there. I have. I have ZERO interest in living in FL.....cockroaches big enough to move furniture...mosquitoes the size of pelicans.....hell no! Not to mention hurricane insurance!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:55 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Zoning was a nightmare. We were in an uncorporated part of the county. Junkyards we common front lawns....looked like Sanford & Son all over.
That'd be kind of neat. Lots to see.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
That'd be kind of neat. Lots to see.
No it wasn't.....piles of trash, rusted metal pieces and parts, stacks of old rotten tires, basically trash! Nothing to see. Some places smelled bad. Who wants to live next to a trash heap?

Old 01-04-2016, 11:36 AM

I was thinking more like antique tractors and other stuff from those antique shows. I gotcha now.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:39 PM

5,697 posts, read 4,093,071 times
The proposed 2016 Monroe County budget is $1,173,961,647. The largest appropriation is for Human services and is about half of the entire budget- $538,286,504.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,770 times
Default Rochester taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
The proposed 2016 Monroe County budget is $1,173,961,647. The largest appropriation is for Human services and is about half of the entire budget- $538,286,504.
Wow that's sad. What is the unemployment percentage there?

Old 02-19-2016, 06:27 PM

5,697 posts, read 4,093,071 times
It's the greed of the NYS government. They always have to get their's first, and they screw themselves and the residents along the way. Not that your total housing expense could be reduced, but if they lowered taxes by, lets say $1000 per year, you would see your house value would rise about 20,000. That would be a win-win situation because now the assed value of your house went up. The ratio of value/ tax would be better for the citizens and the government in the end would still get just as much money.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:18 PM

I know people with 12k tax bills. I like Rochester, but facts are facts. If people can explain away 12k each year, have at it. Ofc, you'll get the random person that says 12k is nothing. Chump change, is that the expression?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area