Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:49 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,110,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Before it was a park it was an amusement park, surrounded by hotels and restaurants. That's the heritage of Charlotte and this plan aims to revitalize that.
You really don't know what's going on.

No, they are not revitalizing any such thing.

Back in those days -- before 1920, there were activities for everyone. The developer is not providing any activities. Only housing and a couple of restaurants.

The housing limits activities for the general public.

The only people who benefit in this hare-brained scheme is the development company.

See what experts know for a fact about responsible waterfront development, and you'll see that Rochester has it all wrong. The developer gave them the wrong information so that he could benefit financially. He does not have the city's best interests in mind: Project for Public Spaces | How to Transform a Waterfront
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 09:51 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,326,955 times
I didn't mean to say that they are revitalizing an amusement area. I was meaning to say they are bringing interest back to a dead area.

Honestly, it's not what I would want either. I have been very outspoken about a retail boardwalk there, one of NONE on the great lakes. Then build whatever you want in the background and it will be successful. Give the people something to want aside from an old neighborhood with dying retail, a gang-filled park, and a bacterial-filled beach.

#CharlotteBoardwalk

Give me a reason to want to visit that cesspool aside from seeing family, please. I beg of you.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,883,585 times
Attracting massive crowds to the beach shouldn't even be a subject of discussion since they're doing away with 2/3rds of the parking. Nobody is going to want to go down there because you won't be able to find anywhere to park.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Attracting massive crowds to the beach shouldn't even be a subject of discussion since they're doing away with 2/3rds of the parking. Nobody is going to want to go down there because you won't be able to find anywhere to park.
That's a good point. They go from too much parking now to not enough. I can't imagine trekking from as far up Lake Ave as the Parkway just to get to the beach.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:26 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,110,850 times
Quote:
I didn't mean to say that they are revitalizing an amusement area. I was meaning to say they are bringing interest back to a dead area.

Honestly, it's not what I would want either. I have been very outspoken about a retail boardwalk there, one of NONE on the great lakes. Then build whatever you want in the background and it will be successful. Give the people something to want aside from an old neighborhood with dying retail, a gang-filled park, and a bacterial-filled beach.

#CharlotteBoardwalk

Give me a reason to want to visit that cesspool aside from seeing family, please. I beg of you.
So we agree on something. Activities are needed. Reasons to go there. People don't go to the beach to see condos. It's a 2.8 acre spot. Certainly they can do something with it to benefit the city and not benefit a developer and his foreign investors.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:13 AM

5,757 posts, read 4,128,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
People don't go to the beach to see condos.
With condos, people don't have to GO to the beach. They are already there!!!

What Charlotte needs is a critical mass of residents to support the retail shops. Once that proportion is met, you will see both residential and retail will grow. Just look at downtown. There are about 5-6000 people residing there now and retail is just starting to return.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
With condos, people don't have to GO to the beach. They are already there!!!

What Charlotte needs is a critical mass of residents to support the retail shops. Once that proportion is met, you will see both residential and retail will grow. Just look at downtown. There are about 5-6000 people residing there now and retail is just starting to return.
I've heard this over and over. Mixed use is what they needed to do for that.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:44 AM

5,757 posts, read 4,128,356 times
Quote:
I've heard this over and over. Mixed use is what they needed to do for that.

Mixed use is exactly what the city has proposed.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Mixed use is exactly what the city has proposed.
Excellent. Putting just residential up is pointless, as is senior housing to erase the parking lots. There are a lot more people outside of the area that need to have reasons to get down there.

I've been saying it forever: boardwalk with retail shops; aquarium (county and university co-op); decent bars and restaurant scene.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:07 PM

355 posts, read 391,478 times
I remember one time while attending the Rib Festival, the fighting and Wilding of teens. Experience was horrible, extremely unsafe for a family outing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area