Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 06:38 AM

94,397 posts, read 125,375,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
x2

People here love to argue semantics, but at the end of the day a lot of us who left the region for greener pastures did it for career and economic reasons.

far as my posts in the Rochester sub-forum are concerned, the vast majority have been about Rochester's sick economy, and how the job situation has been bleak for roughly 30 years. I felt sick after reading just recently that Rochester's manufacturing employment dropped over 40% in 10 years, from 2000 to 2010. I should've gotten the heck out of there sooner, it's no wonder why people I worked around and for were so miserable, back in the early-to-mid 2000's.

Bob Duffy is an idiot when it comes to economics and how a business is run, plus he's had a cushy state pension and other perks over some years, now. I guess the Chamber there in town couldn't find anyone else for the job. Then again, they had another idiot, Sandy parker, in charge of it for decades, she did virtually nothing for the area, after her gig as a secretary at a local school. She married one of the worst businessmen, ethics-wise, in the Rochester area, in recent years.

That town is all about connections and "who you know".
The problem with this is that manufacturing employment in the United States peaked in 1979. So, if you are still looking at strictly manufacturing jobs without obtaining more skills, then you going to be left behind, regardless of location.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 08:14 AM

5,798 posts, read 4,194,904 times
Quote:
x2

People here love to argue semantics, but at the end of the day a lot of us who left the region for greener pastures did it for career and economic reasons.

far as my posts in the Rochester sub-forum are concerned, the vast majority have been about Rochester's sick economy, and how the job situation has been bleak for roughly 30 years. I felt sick after reading just recently that Rochester's manufacturing employment dropped over 40% in 10 years, from 2000 to 2010. I should've gotten the heck out of there sooner, it's no wonder why people I worked around and for were so miserable, back in the early-to-mid 2000's.

Bob Duffy is an idiot when it comes to economics and how a business is run, plus he's had a cushy state pension and other perks over some years, now. I guess the Chamber there in town couldn't find anyone else for the job. Then again, they had another idiot, Sandy parker, in charge of it for decades, she did virtually nothing for the area, after her gig as a secretary at a local school. She married one of the worst businessmen, ethics-wise, in the Rochester area, in recent years.

Depends on how you look at things. Strickly looking at the numbers doesn't tell the whole story. Keep in mind the 55,000 Kodak jobs, 15,000 Xerox jobs and thousands of B&L jobs lost. We had 5 Fortune 500 Headquarters. So dowtown has lost a lot of daytime residences and large companies devestated, the smaller companies picked up the slack. There's now 60 or more optics companies and 120 software/IT companies filling downtown. So we have had job growth. It's just been overshadowed by the huge job loses. Through all of this we haven't lost population, or not much. We faired far better than Buffalo who lost 25,000 jobs in the steel industry and then lost 300,000 people. Another city to compare to is Detroit. The auto industry dominated Detroit, as Kodak to Rochester. When the auto industry went bust, there was nowhere else to get a job, because all the small businesses were gobbeled up. But again, maybe the decline of K,X,B&L led to the creation of the smaller co's here. So t may not be something to write home about, we are surviving.

I do agree with you. Our public representatives don't do squat for the region

Old 03-20-2019, 03:59 PM

1,914 posts, read 3,481,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The problem with this is that manufacturing employment in the United States peaked in 1979. So, if you are still looking at strictly manufacturing jobs without obtaining more skills, then you going to be left behind, regardless of location.
That's not how it works in my world.

High-tech manufacturing is strong in parts of the U.S. One of those parts is not Rochester, NY.

I do consulting work on the side, due to the fact that American manufacturing was (and in many ways still is in some sectors within it), neglected for decades. I refuse to do any consulting in NY, even in my native Rochester. There's barely anything left in that area within manufacturing.

Highly-skilled people like myself continue to leave Rochester, and NY in general, due to the lack of opportunities, the high taxes, and other factors that make that part of the country a miserable place to live.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:50 PM

94,397 posts, read 125,375,400 times
Quote:
That's not how it works in my world.

High-tech manufacturing is strong in parts of the U.S. One of those parts is not Rochester, NY.

I do consulting work on the side, due to the fact that American manufacturing was (and in many ways still is in some sectors within it), neglected for decades. I refuse to do any consulting in NY, even in my native Rochester. There's barely anything left in that area within manufacturing.

Highly-skilled people like myself continue to leave Rochester, and NY in general, due to the lack of opportunities, the high taxes, and other factors that make that part of the country a miserable place to live.
Don’t get me wrong, there is still manufacturing in the area and state. There examples in the Upstate NY job openings thread and has been mentioned earlier in this thread.

However, that earlier statement I made isn’t something I made up and this article breaks down the current state of manufacturing as well: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...put-has-grown/

Old 03-21-2019, 08:21 AM

IEC in Newark to create 362 jobs

https://www.fltimes.com/business/iec...1faac7d3f.html

Old 03-21-2019, 12:32 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,337,057 times
Riverwood Tech Campus mirrors Silicon Valley culture, brings tech startups to Henrietta

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ak/1900854002/

Old 03-21-2019, 05:33 PM

558 posts, read 302,160 times
53 out of 53, per WSJ. Based on hard data.

A few hundred potential jobs and a refurbished campus in search of tenants does not alter their findings.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:54 PM

1,914 posts, read 3,481,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Depends on how you look at things. Strickly looking at the numbers doesn't tell the whole story. Keep in mind the 55,000 Kodak jobs, 15,000 Xerox jobs and thousands of B&L jobs lost. We had 5 Fortune 500 Headquarters. So dowtown has lost a lot of daytime residences and large companies devestated, the smaller companies picked up the slack. There's now 60 or more optics companies and 120 software/IT companies filling downtown. So we have had job growth. It's just been overshadowed by the huge job loses. Through all of this we haven't lost population, or not much. We faired far better than Buffalo who lost 25,000 jobs in the steel industry and then lost 300,000 people. Another city to compare to is Detroit. The auto industry dominated Detroit, as Kodak to Rochester. When the auto industry went bust, there was nowhere else to get a job, because all the small businesses were gobbeled up. But again, maybe the decline of K,X,B&L led to the creation of the smaller co's here. So t may not be something to write home about, we are surviving.

I do agree with you. Our public representatives don't do squat for the region

They allowed critical optics, optics components (the metal parts the lenses are put into), high-end military, etc., work, to be cut off from Kodak, and turned loose in area shops that I wouldn't recommend people go to work for. Some of those shops were started by ex-Kodakers who goy massive severance packages during the 90's. Some of those optics shops are doing well, the rest are sub-par, same for a lot of the machine shops.

So the work was turned loose on companies that did train, and most of them continue to not train people. Meanwhile, those ex-Kodakers had top-shelf training, in-house.

The disparities in local manufacturing there are striking. Virtually nobody under age 50 worked for the Big Three, 20-30 years ago, even smaller shops wouldn't hire and train for a long time. Now all of a sudden companies are scrambling for help. Too bad for them, and even with a degree who wants to work in a factory, anymore?

I have zero sympathy for Rochester employers who "can't find people", and the same holds for other metros. They treated their good help like garbage, and are now reaping what they sowed. DoD and spending by other nations' militaries kept Rochester manufacturing from a total collapse, wituj the last 15 years. There's very little non-military manufacturing activity in the area, which speaks volumes.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
They allowed critical optics, optics components (the metal parts the lenses are put into), high-end military, etc., work, to be cut off from Kodak, and turned loose in area shops that I wouldn't recommend people go to work for. Some of those shops were started by ex-Kodakers who goy massive severance packages during the 90's. Some of those optics shops are doing well, the rest are sub-par, same for a lot of the machine shops.

So the work was turned loose on companies that did train, and most of them continue to not train people. Meanwhile, those ex-Kodakers had top-shelf training, in-house.

The disparities in local manufacturing there are striking. Virtually nobody under age 50 worked for the Big Three, 20-30 years ago, even smaller shops wouldn't hire and train for a long time. Now all of a sudden companies are scrambling for help. Too bad for them, and even with a degree who wants to work in a factory, anymore?

I have zero sympathy for Rochester employers who "can't find people", and the same holds for other metros. They treated their good help like garbage, and are now reaping what they sowed. DoD and spending by other nations' militaries kept Rochester manufacturing from a total collapse, wituj the last 15 years. There's very little non-military manufacturing activity in the area, which speaks volumes.

What sucks is so many managers in large companies have terrible people skills. Much better to work for an actual company owner. Unfortunately they don't have the deep pockets of large companies

Old 03-21-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
x2

I'm wondering if you know about some of RIT's programs of manufacturing and remanufacturing and sustainability. Although we have shrunk in manufacturing it's mostly because the product (film) has gone away. We still have a lot of manufacturing and precision manufacturing as well as R&D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area