Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 06:53 AM

5,774 posts, read 4,155,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
4 jobs? LOL.

LOL to you. Reading comprehension is important. Jumping to conclusions is not. I notice this a lot nowadays. Where did I say my job was in optics??? My field is in a job that until the past few years, would there only be one or 2 advertised in a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 06:58 AM

5,774 posts, read 4,155,173 times
Quote:
Try finding a good company there to work for.

There are plenty of good and great companies. If you'll notice, Rochester always ranks high on the "Best Employer" list.

Maybe what it is, is that the best companies only hire the BEST employees, too.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:19 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,466,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Oh you're right. It would be better to buy an overpriced, garbage house in Greenville where the worst real estate market exists. And instead of price appreciation that you'd get in Rochester, your overpriced house will even go down in price.

No thanks.

Rochester one of the best markets in the US. Greenville on the other hand. One of only 3 to see a decline in what is an overall hot climate for real estate.

Sounds like buyers are really loving that. No thanks.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/real-est...=prn_investors
LOL, we haven't seen a price decline here since we arrived in '08.

We're doing great. Other people who have moved to the area from NY and elsewhere are doing great, too.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:21 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,466,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Rochester has far better jobs and a far more diverse economy than Greenville.
I wouldn't have advanced in my career in that toilet, manufacturing in Rochester collapsed. During that collapse, I worked my tail off and went to school, only to find there were no advanced manufacturing jobs to speak of in that area. Our professors and instructors told us to leave as soon as we graduated, no opportunities in and around Rochester were to be had, same for the rest of NY. My wife and I stuck around for 3 more, very long, years, and left for good.

Judging by info in this forum about how "great" real estate is there, i would have been better off with no education beyond HS, and just peddled overpriced Rochester homes for a living, ripping people off.

Quote:
Greenville and all of SC is reliant on exports to China and BMW. Great job by your business leaders pinning so many jobs to one communist country and an automotive company on the decline.

Mark my words. BMW is so far behind on the next generation electric car, has so many new competitors and is an aging and deteriorating company. And the future with China trade is grim.
An electric bus manufacturing company opened in this area in recent years. Note that they didn't open in Rochester, NY.

Automotive and aerospace here are doing great.

How's GM doing ? Last I checked Honeoye Falls is gone, Henrietta is closing, and the plant in the city isn't doing well, according a friend who was a plant manager there but saw the writing on the wall, and left.

Seriously, rust belt attitudes and ignorance just doesn't play well in other parts of the country.

Quote:
SC has an economy that is going to crumble in a recession with so much reliance on exports and not creating homegrown jobs. Rochester on the other hand is very diverse with many homegrown companies.
Hardly any good firms there to work for, anymore.

BMW continues to do well, sorry you guys in NY have such a terrible manufacturing sector.

Record year for BMW, I don't know anyone who works there who makes under $80K/year plus bennies:

https://greertoday.com/greer-sc/bmw-...19/2020/01/23/

Quote:
And Rochester has a much better economy geared towards STEM.

Rochester ranked 39
Greenville ranked 48.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...ssionals/9200/
Wallethub, LOL.

Yet we continue to attract STEM grads from all over the world, Rochester simply does not.

You should get a job at the D&C or the RBJ writing puff articles about how "great" the economy is in that area. Be sure to emphasize how much the taxpayers there have been ripped off through the years, with no net-gain in employment numbers and other metrics critical to a metro's economy.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:54 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,333,428 times
Quote:

BMW continues to do well, sorry you guys in NY have such a terrible manufacturing sector.

Record year for BMW, I don't know anyone who works there who makes under $80K/year plus bennies:

You should get a job at the D&C or the RBJ writing puff articles about how "great" the economy is in that area. Be sure to emphasize how much the taxpayers there have been ripped off through the years, with no net-gain in employment numbers and other metrics critical to a metro's economy.
Does China pay you for your Chinese homerism? You should start learning Chinese so you can write articles for the Chinese media telling them how great BMW and Volvo are since the Greenville economy is owned by them. BMW is a crappy company that only exports to China anymore. BMW is getting stomped on by Tesla and other electric car makers. Volvo is another major provider of jobs in SC. Volvo is another dieing automotive company owned by China.

Record year for BMW?

Especially when you lie about your sales numbers lol. BMW is in trouble and now is faking their sales numbers.

like I said. Start practicing your Chinese.

https://carbuzz.com/news/the-feds-ar...ged-fake-sales

Old 02-16-2020, 10:58 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,333,428 times
Quote:

Indeed has 585 manufacturing jobs in Rochester right now.
Greenville, 529 jobs.

You really are channeling the Chinese media. Fake news

Old 02-17-2020, 05:56 AM

6,542 posts, read 3,217,300 times
Quote:
How many of those are direct-labor "optics" jobs?
While an engineer or two may do the design work, lenses don't grind themselves into shape, ultrasonically clean themselves, coat themselves with various formulations of chemical materials, then assemble themselves into optical systems. So yeah, there are indeed highly skilled, "direct labor, optical jobs"......

Old 02-17-2020, 09:26 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,830,297 times
Quote:
Try finding a good company there to work for.
I work for a great company and doing very well for myself, same for the wife.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:37 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,830,297 times
Quote:
I work with manufacturers in the Rochester/Buffalo/WNY area on a daily basis and since early 2018 many have been operating at capacity and have actually had to turn away jobs. 2018 and 2019 were record years for us and 2020 is off to a fantastic start as well. To say we have a "terrible manufacturing sector" is ridiculous. The biggest complaint I've heard is not being able to find qualified applicants. And these are well paying jobs that don't require a masters and 10+ years of experience either.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:02 AM

6,542 posts, read 3,217,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I work with manufacturers in the Rochester/Buffalo/WNY area on a daily basis and since early 2018 many have been operating at capacity and have actually had to turn away jobs. 2018 and 2019 were record years for us and 2020 is off to a fantastic start as well. To say we have a "terrible manufacturing sector" is ridiculous. The biggest complaint I've heard is not being able to find qualified applicants. And these are well paying jobs that don't require a masters and 10+ years of experience either.
I agree, and I'll add that it's just a change in perception. People in my age group, and those older, lived and worked in the Rochester area when GM, Kodak, and Xerox were the prime employers, along with a number of other "medium sized" companies. Therefore, when we look at today's job landscape, we can't help but look back at when we were working, and employed by outfits that had 10,20,50,000 employees, and think that an 80-100 employee shop is rather puny.....even though there are now 100-150 of them, compared to 6-8 big employers, in our day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area