Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 01:46 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

No, there isn't any money that they haven't forcefully taken from taxpayers first.

It just makes no sense, because these very programs continually push the cost of living higher and higher, causing more need for subsidies. Eventually the whole thing crashes. I understand that is the goal of some, but it's completely irresponsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 02:59 PM

93,171 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
No, there isn't any money that they haven't forcefully taken from taxpayers first.

It just makes no sense, because these very programs continually push the cost of living higher and higher, causing more need for subsidies. Eventually the whole thing crashes. I understand that is the goal of some, but it's completely irresponsible.
If you work, you pay taxes and that would include people that would live in this new Bull's Head development.

Cost of living in the Rochester area is actually relatively affordable/around the national average and will vary within a state. In fact, the overall cost of living in the area may actually be lower than some Southern areas, as they deal with higher demand and have to built more infrastructure and/or keep up with what is in place now. So, there is no free lunch anywhere or a perfect system and there never was.

Again, if private market factors accounted for mixed income housing, which this is by the way, then you wouldn't have to have government intervention at all, but that just isn't the case. Same applies to attracting companies/jobs as well, as subsidies are given for that.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Again, if private market factors accounted for mixed income housing, which this is by the way, then you wouldn't have to have government intervention at all, but that just isn't the case. Same applies to attracting companies/jobs as well, as subsidies are given for that.
Nope. that's not true. It used to be when a house was built, someone paid full price for it. Nowadays, politics plays a huge role in everything. Who can "create" the most jobs, while the "bate" is actually higher taxes on existing companies. It simply doesn't add up long term.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:02 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
First off, disabled people should have help.

Second, there's plenty of housing, and code enforcement officers. It wasn't long ago that the city was encouraging multiple family housing convert to single family in a way to fill vacant housing.

Your argument that because there is a need, so they should be built, despite not having the money is just nonsense. As Margaret Thatcher used to say, eventually you run out of other people's money.

Sounds like "the minimum wage should be increased because that's what someone needs to live", even though that person doesn't produce work to match the wage.

Something else to consider is the "baby boomers". This was an unusual uptick in the birthrate that lasted for something like 15 years, or so. And yes, it eventually fostered a need for more housing, more food, more food production, etc.

What isn't discussed, however, is how the "boomers" did not reproduce like our parents did. Therefore, as we boomers die off, and we're easing into that stage of our lives (I'm a boomer), I don't see where any of the "experts" have considered what the upcoming excess of housing will do to the economy.

Think I'm kidding? On my father's side of the family, he had 3 siblings, a brother and two sisters. Those 4 siblings, together, had 8 offspring. Those 8 offspring had only 3 offspring. I wasn't all that close to my mother's side of the family, as my father changed jobs when I was young, and we left our hometown over 60 years ago.

My mother had a bunch of siblings, and some of them didn't have any children, and those that did, had 1 maybe 2 each. And those cousins of mine, to the best of my knowledge didn't have very many offspring. My family line is diminishing, and over the years, a number of my friends are childless, too.....

Old 01-30-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Nope. that's not true. It used to be when a house was built, someone paid full price for it. Nowadays, politics plays a huge role in everything. Who can "create" the most jobs, while the "bate" is actually higher taxes on existing companies. It simply doesn't add up long term.
You are referring to detached housing, while much of this will be attached, apartment/condo housing for one. Look at the plan: https://rochesterbeacon.com/2024/01/...lan-previewed/

Also, even with detached housing, you are likely going to have a family that will live there for decades and pass the home down, with the ability to appreciate and create wealth. Even in the past, many families got loans from the government(i.e.-the GI Bill)to get them started.

Also, the "bait" is actually given in subsidies to companies to produce a certain amount of jobs, but that comes with a stipulation that they will pay a penalty if they don't produce what was projected.

To leadfoot's point, that is the thing now, in terms of bigger families in the past(I'm one of 7 myself). So, in turn, you don't have the need necessarily for the bigger homes of the past and the type of housing slated for the area indicates this.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:05 AM

^ It's clear your grasp of both economics and human nature is lacking. Where did you gain this knowledge?

Old 01-31-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
^ It's clear your grasp of both economics and human nature is lacking. Where did you gain this knowledge?
Is it that or just not understanding history/criteria behind certain aspects being discussed?

Again, to stay on topic, which is tough for some, this is a mixed income/mixed use development: https://www.wxxinews.org/local-news/...monday-evening

"Project costs are estimated to reach hundreds of millions of dollars, all told – starting with construction of a new ESL branch and demolition of Bull’s Head Plaza this spring.

What comes next could include:

- 789 apartments and town houses, with a yet-undetermined set-aside of affordable units.
- 34,000 square feet of street-level retail – focused around the West Main and Genesee streets intersection.
- 34,000 square feet of office space.

Officials are talking to a potential anchor tenant, described as working in urban agriculture. It’s a national firm, they say — not a grocery or other retail operation — that only employs people with disabilities."

As referenced in the article, this is more in line with a development such as Brooks Landing also in the 19th Ward or even a smaller version of College Town in the Mount Hope neighborhood.

BROOKS LANDING MIXED-USE PROJECT: https://www.cityofrochester.gov/Brookslanding/
https://rocwiki.org/Brooks_Landing
https://rocwiki.org/Brooks_Landing_Project
Street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1310...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.collegetownrochester.com/
https://www.facebook.com/collegetownrochester/
https://www.rochester.edu/newscenter...e-town-563772/
https://rocwiki.org/College_Town
Street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1232...8192?entry=ttu

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-31-2024 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-01-2024, 09:23 AM

^ Of course. History. Living in the past. Yes, these kinds of things are just another form of the history you mention. Keeping that history alive, and front and center.

If these types of programs work, and get people off of poverty, then why after 60 years, is there more, and more of this???? No one can get a person out of poverty than that person, himself.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
^ Of course. History. Living in the past. Yes, these kinds of things are just another form of the history you mention. Keeping that history alive, and front and center.

If these types of programs work, and get people off of poverty, then why after 60 years, is there more, and more of this???? No one can get a person out of poverty than that person, himself.
You are still off topic. This thread isn't about poverty or getting people out of poverty or even poverty programs.

Again, the development has a yet to be determined amount of affordable housing allocated. This is likely done to keep people in their neighborhood, while not trying to concentrate poverty within said neighborhood, which is what other past housing developments did(aka historical housing development) and to attract others into the neighborhood. Meaning, that this development will have residents of various incomes and given the anchor tenant slated for the development, there will likely be people with disabilities that live there as well.

Again, this is more in line with other previously mentioned developments in the city, when looking at the actual plan.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:37 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:

With respect to those 789 housing units proposed for the new Bulls Head project....That's a LOT of housing, and where are those people living now??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area