Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 10:31 AM

5,748 posts, read 4,124,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why assume those that move in are white? There are plenty of Black suburban folks and young professionals that would likely consider moving into a newer development like this. After all, Rochester is about 40-45% Black and there are Black suburbanites that may fit the description of what I referred to. Think of those Black suburbanites in Chili, Gates, Greece, Irondequoit, Henrietta, etc. that may not want to deal with the home maintenance anymore or the young professional looking for a place to live and wants to have cultural aspects nearby. That is what I'm referring to and if you know your city like you said you do, that is what you would consider, but I'm not sure of that.
Ok, thanks for the insult. I guess you know Rochester better than me. BTW, I do consider ALL things, not just a few, as you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 10:41 AM

93,660 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Ok, thanks for the insult. I guess you know Rochester better than me. BTW, I do consider ALL things, not just a few, as you mentioned.
No insult and I didn't say I knew Rochester better than you, but you assumed as to who would live there. If you considered all things, then why limit as to who would or would not live there(including throwing that D in there, come on. Really?)? Even then, the 19th Ward is still about 20-25% white and about 10% Hispanic(regardless of race). So, it isn't like there aren't other groups live in that area currently.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/66375892-post70.html (updated version)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-01-2024 at 10:50 AM..

Old 02-01-2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No insult and I didn't say I knew Rochester better than you, but you assumed as to who would live there. If you considered all things, then why limit as to who would or would not live there(including throwing that D in there, come on. Really?)? Even then, the 19th Ward is still about 20-25% white and about 10% Hispanic(regardless of race). So, it isn't like there aren't other groups live in that area currently.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/66375892-post70.html (updated version)
Yes, really. I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't true.

Look, since they are doing this project, of course I want it to succeed. I'm just taking an honest assessment of the overall project. The 19th ward is actually pretty nice in certain areas. I own property there.

The city messed up in letting this area languish for so long, and allow the perception of the area to fester. Now, we'll just have to sit back and watch.

Old 02-01-2024, 02:45 PM

6,491 posts, read 3,182,955 times
I'm going to simply "cut to the chase", in my overly simplistic opinion....Rochester in it's most successful era, was built upon industry, and the jobs that industry created, and sustained, for about 60-70 years. Far too many of those jobs have evaporated, and until they get replaced, by new employers, Rochester is going to suffer, and all the "affordable housing" in the world won't fix it, unless potential residents have a job that will provide a paycheck.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I'm going to simply "cut to the chase", in my overly simplistic opinion....Rochester in it's most successful era, was built upon industry, and the jobs that industry created, and sustained, for about 60-70 years. Far too many of those jobs have evaporated, and until they get replaced, by new employers, Rochester is going to suffer, and all the "affordable housing" in the world won't fix it, unless potential residents have a job that will provide a paycheck.
Again, for the last time, the development is a mixed income development and "affordable" housing is housing that meets the needs of working people, elderly, the disabled, Vets, etc. that don't necessarily qualify for lower income housing. In fact, another term for this type of housing is called "Workforce housing". Meaning people that make 60-120% of the median income of an area, which would include middle class, working people: https://ced.sog.unc.edu/2018/07/what...-it-important/ This is why I think people need to actually get the definition of what said housing entails before jumping to conclusions about it.

Also, Rochester's economy has gone from a few major employers to the talent from those firms going on to create smaller firms that employ people in the area. So, this is another thing I think people need to move on from in terms of the big, major company employing thousands of people, when 46.4% of private sector employed people are employed by smaller companies on a national level: https://advocacy.sba.gov/2023/03/07/...business-2023/

Old 02-02-2024, 09:15 AM

Quote:
The history of Rochester, and every other city started with one word. JOBS. No one came here for subsidized housing. It wasn't even heard of or thought of, and would have been rejected soundly. That all changed with the "war on poverty" starting in the 60's.

It's now 2024, and Rochester can boast of the 3rd highest poverty in the country. Also, one of the worse school districts, highest crime and highest taxes. All of these things go hand-in-hand with the welfare mentality of city hall, which is learned by the citizens.

The most dignifying thing a person could have is a decent job, and to have some money to spend as they want. Definitely not living on handouts from strangers who are struggling too.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:04 AM

6,491 posts, read 3,182,955 times
Quote:
The history of Rochester, and every other city started with one word. JOBS. No one came here for subsidized housing. It wasn't even heard of or thought of, and would have been rejected soundly. That all changed with the "war on poverty" starting in the 60's.

It's now 2024, and Rochester can boast of the 3rd highest poverty in the country. Also, one of the worse school districts, highest crime and highest taxes. All of these things go hand-in-hand with the welfare mentality of city hall, which is learned by the citizens.

The most dignifying thing a person could have is a decent job, and to have some money to spend as they want. Definitely not living on handouts from strangers who are struggling too.
At the risk of offending anyone ( ), I'm going to agree with you, 100%. A job is how I wound up in Rochester, almost 66 years ago. I was born in central NJ, and my father changed jobs, in an effort to improve things for himself as well as my mother and I, so we first went to SE PA, followed by the move to Rochester.

In my younger days, not having a job, was a source of embarrassment, but apparently not today.....

Old 02-02-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Actually, the GI Bill is an example of subsidized housing, as said housing was built to meet a need for Veterans families to have viable housing with low interest housing loans, with no down payment and which were given to "select" Vets. There are other aspects that are mentioned in this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/urba...ubsidized.html

As for the other things, much of that comes from the lack of annexation/the city land area, the aspects mentioned in the video I posted in the Finger Lakes thread about school district restructuring and the city actually has a history of having challenges addressing issues going decades back, among other aspects(like all cities to some degree).

Again, to bring it back to the topic, the housing being built is from a private company and is going to be largely market rate(basically, standard housing) with an undetermined amount of affordable/workforce housing.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-02-2024 at 10:19 AM..

Old 02-02-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:

In my younger days, not having a job, was a source of embarrassment, but apparently not today.....
When I was a kid I cut lawns, shoveled snow had a paper route. As soon as I was 16, I got a job in a local food establishment, and worked as many hours as I could.

My friends were the same way. At 18, we started buying houses. We wanted to enjoy life. Get nice cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. Nobody had to light a fire under our but to get us going. Life was good, and we were out way to late, but still got up early for our responsibilities. Young folks just don't have the same drive as our generation.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
When I was a kid I cut lawns, shoveled snow had a paper route. As soon as I was 16, I got a job in a local food establishment, and worked as many hours as I could.

My friends were the same way. At 18, we started buying houses. We wanted to enjoy life. Get nice cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. Nobody had to light a fire under our but to get us going. Life was good, and we were out way to late, but still got up early for our responsibilities. Young folks just don't have the same drive as our generation.
A simple question...Do you think a person that makes 60-120% of the median income is someone without a job?

I also ask this given that Pew views "middle class" as 66% to double median income:
A calculator(click on How We Did This for criteria): https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...-middle-class/

According to this calculator, which uses 2018 information, a person in the area making $27,361 is the lowest salary for being middle class. If you go by the standard of paying 30% of income for housing, that person should pay $8208.30 a year or about $684 a month on housing. I think this is where the "affordable/workforce housing" comes in into play.

Here is an example by the Oneida Nation for its employees: https://www.oneidaindiannation.com/o...dable-housing/
https://www.turningstoneenterprises.com/the-villages

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-02-2024 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area