Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 07:27 PM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer81 View Post
Yes it looks like there are plenty of years Rochester does get over 100" of snow. That is incredible! I like snow, I don't like driving in general. I think a 4 wheel drive vehicle would be a good idea but this just seems like a bad time to buy.

Regarding the "south of the thruway" weather report - is that where there is the most lake effect snow accumulation? And then north closer to Lake Ontario gets less snow? Or is it the opposite? Lake effect only happens with the Great Lakes not the Finger Lakes right? The Finger Lakes are too small to produce that same effect? I believe some of them can freeze enough that people walk on them and maybe even ice skate? That would be amazing.
I never paid attention to their snow accumulations, I only know that all the weatherman for some reason use the thruway as a divider. As I said, there is a snowband off of Lake Eire, but I believe it ends before reaching Canandaigua. I think somewhere just east of I 390.

The worst lake effect snow occurs in Webster and Ontario
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 07:06 AM

913 posts, read 559,331 times
There is something of a "snow hole" south of the Onondaga Escarpment (which runs very roughly 15-20 miles south of the Niagara Escarpment) in this region. It gets about 40% less snow than areas closer to Lake Ontario. It's not well known that this is the case, even it appears among residents who don't pay much attention, but it definitely shows up in average annual snowfall maps. That said, it's an average, and individual years can be exceptions. The lake-effect snow in the area tends to be more powdery than the snow to the east.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:48 AM

84 posts, read 94,132 times
Very interesting info about the weather patterns there!

There's a condo complex in Canandaigua that I'm in love with but no covered parking... I guess that could be a big problem. It's not really brushing the snow off my vehicle that I'm concerned about, it's more the fact that I don't use the car very often and I'm not sure how that would affect it to be sitting out in the cold covered in snow for long periods.

Then there is another condo complex, which had been mentioned earlier in this thread, where I kept noticing units for sale and looked into it - found this article about the drama going on there: https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ny/5584521001/

Old 11-11-2021, 08:03 AM

I was looking for videos about Canandaigua on Youtube and unfortunately found these. While I am genuinely happy for these folks, I do not want to be around this kind of stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU0lIaHt33Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9iHhj_I4RM

Old 11-11-2021, 08:38 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
In that case, look into Ithaca and the surrounding area, which has a different vibe in that regard.

I believe Skaneateles would work as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-11-2021 at 08:53 AM..

Old 11-11-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I was looking for videos about Canandaigua on Youtube and unfortunately found these. While I am genuinely happy for these folks, I do not want to be around this kind of stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU0lIaHt33Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9iHhj_I4RM
A bunch of people having fun on a nice summer day. You can't just ignore them and walk away?

I see comments like these too often, but never the opposite. Hmmm

Old 11-11-2021, 08:52 AM

The main thing that steers me away from Ithaca is I have the impression that Cayuga Lake is not good for swimming.. I'd really like to be close to a Finger Lake with clean water.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:54 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
The main thing that steers me away from Ithaca is I have the impression that Cayuga Lake is not good for swimming.. I'd really like to be close to a Finger Lake with clean water.
This should help: https://www.visitithaca.com/attractions/cayuga-lake

Old 11-11-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
A bunch of people having fun on a nice summer day. You can't just ignore them and walk away?

I see comments like these too often, but never the opposite. Hmmm
I have been living in rural Florida for a long time. Here, they like to carve his name into the bodies of live manatees. I don't want to go to all the trouble of moving only to feel like I might as well have stayed where I was.

My dad (who died last year) was a huge donald trump fan. I love my dad very much and miss him. I love talking with republicans (much prefer it to talking with democrats.) However, these over-the-top displays of devotion have always just been too creepy for me. I don't want to be around it and I am certain he's running and winning in 2024 so this will not be ending any time soon.

You say you have seen comments like mine too often but never the opposite. If you look around city-data you will definitely see it the other way around, plenty of folks who want to relocate away from "liberals" / move to a "conservative" area. People have different preferences for different reasons.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I have been living in rural Florida for a long time. Here, they like to carve his name into the bodies of live manatees. I don't want to go to all the trouble of moving only to feel like I might as well have stayed where I was.

My dad (who died last year) was a huge donald trump fan. I love my dad very much and miss him. I love talking with republicans (much prefer it to talking with democrats.) However, these over-the-top displays of devotion have always just been too creepy for me. I don't want to be around it and I am certain he's running and winning in 2024 so this will not be ending any time soon.

You say you have seen comments like mine too often but never the opposite. If you look around city-data you will definitely see it the other way around, plenty of folks who want to relocate away from "liberals" / move to a "conservative" area. People have different preferences for different reasons.
You have no need to care about "over the top" it's extremely rare. I never heard about the videos you posted. Rochester is a pretty middle in regards to politics, and don't see much expression either way. I think you will love the Canandaigua/ Rochester area, and I would love to have a beer with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area