Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 12:15 PM

84 posts, read 94,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
You have no need to care about "over the top" it's extremely rare. I never heard about the videos you posted. Rochester is a pretty middle in regards to politics, and don't see much expression either way. I think you will love the Canandaigua/ Rochester area, and I would love to have a beer with you
Very nice. Not seeing much public expression either way would be ideal. I suppose another scenario I'd be fine with would be if there were just as many democrat displays as republican. Then I'd feel like I was living in a place with diversity of opinion where no one feels fearful to express their view. I actually like the idea of living in a true 'purple' area. But at this point, after living in rural and remote parts of Florida for a little too long, if I had to choose between moving to a more blue location or a more red one, I'd go blue.

I really think somewhere up there around the Finger Lakes could be perfect for me, just need to find the town with the best mix of what I'm looking for. My house in Florida is sold and I'm staying in vacation rentals down here through April. I'll be up in the Finger Lakes area starting in May, looking for a house / townhome / condo to buy.

Since this is the Rochester forum I will say - oh my gosh some of the Rochester suburbs look absolutely fantastic and it is very tempting to buy there. But that far north I probably wouldn't get down to the Finger Lakes as much as I'd like to for swimming and paddle boarding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 03:51 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer81 View Post
Very nice. Not seeing much public expression either way would be ideal. I suppose another scenario I'd be fine with would be if there were just as many democrat displays as republican. Then I'd feel like I was living in a place with diversity of opinion where no one feels fearful to express their view. I actually like the idea of living in a true 'purple' area. But at this point, after living in rural and remote parts of Florida for a little too long, if I had to choose between moving to a more blue location or a more red one, I'd go blue.

I really think somewhere up there around the Finger Lakes could be perfect for me, just need to find the town with the best mix of what I'm looking for. My house in Florida is sold and I'm staying in vacation rentals down here through April. I'll be up in the Finger Lakes area starting in May, looking for a house / townhome / condo to buy.

Since this is the Rochester forum I will say - oh my gosh some of the Rochester suburbs look absolutely fantastic and it is very tempting to buy there. But that far north I probably wouldn't get down to the Finger Lakes as much as I'd like to for swimming and paddle boarding.
Perhaps the Victor/Farmington area would be a happy medium, as it is a growing outer suburban/exurban area with plenty of shopping, but is still within close proximity to Canandaigua Lake and Rochester.

Old 11-13-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps the Victor/Farmington area would be a happy medium, as it is a growing outer suburban/exurban area with plenty of shopping, but is still within close proximity to Canandaigua Lake and Rochester.
This is the general area that I'm referring to: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...,-77.029106,11

Old 11-14-2021, 09:55 AM

^ Yep I'm definitely including that area in my search. I've been to Victor before but have not spent any real time there - just went to the mall a couple times, went to a hair salon once, a couple restaurants. Farmington I know nothing about but the location seems pretty good being a short distance from Canandaigua and also not too far from Rochester.

I really love the look of Brighton but like I said before I think if I relocate that far north I wouldn't end up getting down to the Finger Lakes as often as I'd really like to.

Another area I've started considering is Corning / Painted Post. I could use Hammondsport as my access onto Keuka Lake. Would be about a half hour drive. I'd rather be closer than that to a lake ideally though.

I contacted the Ontario County Dem Committee to ask about the political climate. (They have an awesome chat feature on their website.) Two of the officers responded to my questions and they agreed that while the county has a republican majority the cities of Canandaigua and Geneva lean democrat. They said the county has been trending more and more democrat as new folks have moved there in recent years. More local democrats are running for office and winning and the Ontario County Dem Committee is growing. Would be interesting to now contact the Ontario County Republican Committee and get their take.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:25 PM

Hmmm I just realized Brighton is only a half hour to Canandaigua, at least according to google maps... I always think of the Rochester suburbs as being a little too far from the Finger Lakes because Keuka has always been my location when I'm up there, and it's a good hour to Rochester from there. But if Canandaigua became my Finger Lake of choice for swimming and paddle boarding maybe the Rochester suburbs could actually work!

Old 11-14-2021, 09:38 PM

95 posts, read 155,005 times
So you don't want to live in a particular place because there might be some people there who are are different from you? It seems sad to arrange your life around your own stereotyping, bigotry and hatreds.

Old 11-15-2021, 05:11 AM

^A segment like this doesn’t help, for some…

Why the 'Proud Boys' and other extremist groups have a hold on Upstate New York: https://cnycentral.com/news/local/wh...state-new-york

With that said, I wouldn’t go around saying that this is a big thing up here. Maybe more than people want to believe(I was actually a part of a group researching the topic in college for a class some years ago), but not as big as this segment may make it seem like as well.

To be fair, It looks like the OP is looking for a more politically balanced area to live in.

Old 11-15-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post
So you don't want to live in a particular place because there might be some people there who are are different from you? It seems sad to arrange your life around your own stereotyping, bigotry and hatreds.
Your first sentence is an inaccurate characterization. Your second sentence is an interesting opinion and I will sincerely examine it.

Old 11-16-2021, 10:10 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer81 View Post
^ Yep I'm definitely including that area in my search. I've been to Victor before but have not spent any real time there - just went to the mall a couple times, went to a hair salon once, a couple restaurants. Farmington I know nothing about but the location seems pretty good being a short distance from Canandaigua and also not too far from Rochester.

I really love the look of Brighton but like I said before I think if I relocate that far north I wouldn't end up getting down to the Finger Lakes as often as I'd really like to.

Another area I've started considering is Corning / Painted Post. I could use Hammondsport as my access onto Keuka Lake. Would be about a half hour drive. I'd rather be closer than that to a lake ideally though.
If you're looking at Victor, check out Mendon and Honeoye Falls. Conesus Lake is nice, and Geneseo, nearby is a college town. This is probably the closest you can get to be near a Finger Lake and Rochester. 15 minutes to Henrietta.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:04 AM

Here is an article about potential development coming to Canandaigua…

Uptown Canandaigua now 'shovel-ready.' Here's what businesses will be on site: https://www.democratandchronicle.com...es/8765092002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area