Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 06:58 AM

94,380 posts, read 125,347,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
The latest announcement regarding Rochester's road network is that there will be a lot more speed enforcement on Route 104, through the northern part of Irondequoit, as "reconstruction season" begins. Don't get me wrong, the construction workers need a safe environment to work in, no question. But the ballyhoo from Hochul, that there were 3 cars clocked at over 100MPH, in this zone, recently???

First of all, there's NO WAY anybody could be travelling that fast, between 7AM and 8-9PM on that road. There's just too much traffic going 60MPH. Secondly, if these cars were truly clocked at that speed, later in the night, were there construction workers actually on the job, at that hour??

I'm not saying that I condone 100MPH on the Route 104 expressway, but let's be realistic. Unless the workers are on the job, 24 hours a day, I don't see any reason why traffic has to be restricted to 35-40MPH, when no work is ongoing.
An article on this...

Parts of State Route 104 to see enhanced speed enforcement as construction begins: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ro...ruction-begins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 08:38 AM

5,798 posts, read 4,193,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^This likely plays a part in STAMP's location: https://www.gcedc.com/stamp
I don't see any reason that Genessee county was better than my suggestion. In fact, it would have been probably $200 million, and counting, cheaper, with ALL the utilities right there, as well as the workforce.

A total waste of money.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I don't see any reason that Genessee county was better than my suggestion. In fact, it would have been probably $200 million, and counting, cheaper, with ALL the utilities right there, as well as the workforce.

A total waste of money.
Again, as we've discussed this before, this likely played a big part as to why that site was selected: "STAMP is a green manufacturing mega-site developed to deliver hydropower, utilities, and talent from a strategic location in New York. STAMP’s 1,250-acre campus sources high capacities of low-cost renewable power from Niagara Falls. With $1 billion of announced investments and over 500 buildable acres available STAMP is the ideal place to develop advanced manufacturing projects."

So, it is able to tap into the low cost power and has a big site to build onto. Plus, it is in the middle of two metro areas with a combined 2.2-2.3 million people, among other factors mentioned on the website.

It is also no surprise given that the Batavia micro area has long been noted by Site Selection Magazine, likely due to these factors. From last month's edition of the magazine: https://siteselection.com/issues/202...ranking%20ever

It is still within the Rochester Combined Statistical area. So, it still would be a benefit to the area.

Old 04-19-2024, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Again, as we've discussed this before, this likely played a big part as to why that site was selected: "STAMP is a green manufacturing mega-site developed to deliver hydropower, utilities, and talent from a strategic location in New York. STAMP’s 1,250-acre campus sources high capacities of low-cost renewable power from Niagara Falls. With $1 billion of announced investments and over 500 buildable acres available STAMP is the ideal place to develop advanced manufacturing projects."

So, it is able to tap into the low cost power and has a big site to build onto. Plus, it is in the middle of two metro areas with a combined 2.2-2.3 million people, among other factors mentioned on the website.

It is also no surprise given that the Batavia micro area has long been noted by Site Selection Magazine, likely due to these factors. From last month's edition of the magazine: https://siteselection.com/issues/202...ranking%20ever

It is still within the Rochester Combined Statistical area. So, it still would be a benefit to the area.
Not at all convinced. Webster/ Ontario is more centrally located within NYS, and closer to Syracuse.

Low cost power is available anywhere, but my suggestion already has major power lines, and substation.

Chances are, the STAMP facility may not get finished. It was foolish, and poorly planned.

BTW, I know Buffalo touts it, but Rochester never does. Why didn't they just build it in Niagara Falls?

Old 04-19-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Not at all convinced. Webster/ Ontario is more centrally located within NYS, and closer to Syracuse.

Low cost power is available anywhere, but my suggestion already has major power lines, and substation.

Chances are, the STAMP facility may not get finished. It was foolish, and poorly planned.

BTW, I know Buffalo touts it, but Rochester never does. Why didn't they just build it in Niagara Falls?
It isn't as centrally located as the Syracuse or Utica sites though. Both of which have chip plants built or slated to be built.

Also, while there there are pockets of low cost power via NYPA, the Niagara Falls site is where that makes all of that possible.

Again, the site is in between 2.2-2.3 million people, if not more. So, the site is strategically located in WNY to capture that large population.

Perhaps that is a part of the issue, as the site again, is actually in the Rochester Combined Statistical Area. So, that may be on the regional economic development corporation that serves the area.

Keep in mind that there are companies slated for the STAMP site already: https://www.gcedc.com/stampprojects

Old 04-19-2024, 10:04 AM

Quote:
It isn't as centrally located as the Syracuse or Utica sites though. Both of which have chip plants built or slated to be built.

Also, while there there are pockets of low cost power via NYPA, the Niagara Falls site is where that makes all of that possible.

Again, the site is in between 2.2-2.3 million people, if not more. So, the site is strategically located in WNY to capture that large population.

Perhaps that is a part of the issue, as the site again, is actually in the Rochester Combined Statistical Area. So, that may be on the regional economic development corporation that serves the area.

Keep in mind that there are companies slated for the STAMP site already: https://www.gcedc.com/stampprojects
Why would a Rochester based economic commission locate in Syracuse? Foolish response.

Again getting carried away with population numbers. How many people will potentially work there? Surely not 2.2 million.

So far there is Plug Power, which isn't operating yet, and hasn't made a profit. It's heavily taxpayer subsidized. Not really a serious company until it is profitable on it's own.

Edwards vacuum is still a future developer.

The head of ED in Genessee lies on the video voicing the high interest in STAMP.

Just put together the TWO Buffalo Billions, the STAMP, Duffy's dismissal as Lt. Governor and Kathy Hochel's appointment and it's clear to me that Cuomo was eying the presidency, and use Buffalo as an example of his leadership.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Why would a Rochester based economic commission locate in Syracuse? Foolish response.

Again getting carried away with population numbers. How many people will potentially work there? Surely not 2.2 million.

So far there is Plug Power, which isn't operating yet, and hasn't made a profit. It's heavily taxpayer subsidized. Not really a serious company until it is profitable on it's own.

Edwards vacuum is still a future developer.

The head of ED in Genessee lies on the video voicing the high interest in STAMP.

Just put together the TWO Buffalo Billions, the STAMP, Duffy's dismissal as Lt. Governor and Kathy Hochel's appointment and it's clear to me that Cuomo was eying the presidency, and use Buffalo as an example of his leadership.
I didn't even say that. You touted a site that is more "centrally located" and my response is that it isn't as centrally located within the state as sites in Syracuse and Utica. That was my point there.

Again, the STAMP site is centrally located within WNY and has other aspects as to why it was located there. It isn't that the site doesn't have interest, but it has yet to materialize. It also would make more sense if WNY were to be selected for a chip site due to the location within the region.

Old 04-19-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I didn't even say that. You touted a site that is more "centrally located" and my response is that it isn't as centrally located within the state as sites in Syracuse and Utica. That was my point there.

Again, the STAMP site is centrally located within WNY and has other aspects as to why it was located there. It isn't that the site doesn't have interest, but it has yet to materialize. It also would make more sense if WNY were to be selected for a chip site due to the location within the region.
I said that because the link said centrally located in NYS, not WNYS. Read your own links.

You are very optimistic a on a number of things, but don't forget about reality.

Old 04-19-2024, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I said that because the link said centrally located in NYS, not WNYS. Read your own links.

You are very optimistic a on a number of things, but don't forget about reality.
What are you even talking about? Being centrally located in NYS isn't even mentioned in the STAMP website.

In fact this is in that website: https://www.gcedc.com/stamplocation

Again, this isn't about optimism, but about staying on topic first and giving a reasonable explanation. That other site you are referring to isn't as centrally located within the state as sites in the Syracuse and Utica areas. That's as real as it gets.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-19-2024 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-21-2024, 06:39 AM

Here is some new information from the Rochester Construction Watch Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rocconstructionwatch/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area