Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 03:22 PM

16 posts, read 8,262 times

Advertisements

Cottonwood.
Rochester region is very stable. It's not like Florida in any way, shape or form (I lived in central FL). If you can handle the winter you will like it much better here.
The hackerspace is defunct.
The makerspace is very much alive and welcoming new people. I am an active member. It's in a pretty scruffy neighborhood and building. But all good ones are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 05:13 PM

224 posts, read 136,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroROCdotNet View Post
Cottonwood.
Rochester region is very stable. It's not like Florida in any way, shape or form (I lived in central FL). If you can handle the winter you will like it much better here.
The hackerspace is defunct.
The makerspace is very much alive and welcoming new people. I am an active member. It's in a pretty scruffy neighborhood and building. But all good ones are.
"All good ones are" hahaha I love that. And I'm sure you're right.

I truly think we'll be able to handle the winter, and even enjoy it. It's going to be a huge change for us obviously. I have a few questions on the topic of winter which I'll post later.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:18 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,093,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
"All good ones are" hahaha I love that. And I'm sure you're right.

I truly think we'll be able to handle the winter, and even enjoy it. It's going to be a huge change for us obviously. I have a few questions on the topic of winter which I'll post later.
Bristol Mountain is a nearby Ski slope if you want to trying skiing or boarding

Old 06-07-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Bristol Mountain is a nearby Ski slope if you want to trying skiing or boarding
I would love to try skiing. I saw on the Bristol Mountain website they have good deals on rentals https://www.bristolmountain.com/rentals/ Another thing I'm excited to do is sledding!

Old 06-07-2022, 07:49 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,789 times
Quote:
I would love to try skiing. I saw on the Bristol Mountain website they have good deals on rentals https://www.bristolmountain.com/rentals/ Another thing I'm excited to do is sledding!
Lots of great places to go sledding/tubing around the area. Northampton Park and Black Creek Park are 2 of our favorite spots.
Here is a link to some other great sledding hills in the area. https://daytrippingroc.com/sledding-...und-rochester/

Also, here is a map of all of the parks in the Monroe County Park System. Not to mention all of the local parks throughout the county and surrounding counties.
https://www.monroecounty.gov/files/p...s%20Map.pdf?v2

Last edited by gt87; 06-07-2022 at 07:59 AM..

Old 06-07-2022, 08:27 AM

Looking at the link showing the sledding hills I saw that Ellison Park in Penfield has an ice skating rink. Skating on an outdoor rink would be a really special experience I think! From that same source (DayTrippingROC) I saw this list of ice rinks, and found several more outdoor options. Yay how fun! https://daytrippingroc.com/ice-skati...und-rochester/

Old 06-12-2022, 12:10 PM

There is an interesting street we've driven on a couple times now - Mitchell Rd in Pittsford. Beautiful homes and this fascinating one lane bridge. Drivers take turns crossing in each direction. No signage or signals directing traffic.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0830...7i16384!8i8192

Old 06-12-2022, 02:29 PM

5,695 posts, read 4,093,071 times
Quote:
There is an interesting street we've driven on a couple times now - Mitchell Rd in Pittsford. Beautiful homes and this fascinating one lane bridge. Drivers take turns crossing in each direction. No signage or signals directing traffic.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0830...7i16384!8i8192
Yes, that is cool. there are a couple other single lane bridges over the canal in the area, but I believe they are all signaled. Have you visited Shoen Place along the canal in Pittsford yet?

Old 06-12-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Yes, that is cool. there are a couple other single lane bridges over the canal in the area, but I believe they are all signaled. Have you visited Shoen Place along the canal in Pittsford yet?
We went to Schoen Place on a couple of our trips here when we were checking out the area. The first time we went on a boat tour which was really lovely. The second time was March 2020 - we had lunch at Aladdin's and it was a memorable experience because that night was when all NY restaurants had to stop dine-in service. We're looking forward to returning and enjoying all of the restaurants and other businesses there. Such a fabulous place to walk around.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:48 AM

I walked around Schoen Place this past Wednesday mid-day and went back again with husband for an early dinner yesterday afternoon (Sunday) and both times the place was busy and bustling. It seems like there is barely enough parking - I can imagine at certain peak times finding a spot might be impossible.

I went shopping at Eastview Mall, very nice. I'm finding the fashion here kind of interesting. Both my husband and I feel like we need an entirely new wardrobe (after the past 16+ years living in FL...) It's nice here around Rochester I'm seeing a pretty wide range of styles.

So many places we want to explore around the area. We want to see Lake Ontario (maybe outdoor dining with a view of the water?) and also planning a day down in Canandaigua - probably the water temp is still too cold to swim but I was thinking of renting a canoe. Also want to check out Sonnenberg and Main St. In Rochester, I want to visit Mount Hope Cemetery. We did the tour of Susan B. Anthony home on a previous visit.

We are loving the restaurants here. Hoping to find a really good sushi place. Also still need to figure out a pizza spot - tried 2 so far and they were good but I bet we can find even better. I've been getting groceries from Wegmans but I have to tell you I'm really curious to try Tops to see how they compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area