Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 12:08 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I have found Rochester's suburbs to be very walkable. I believe most towns require sidewalks in their subdivisions. People walk, jog, ride bikes, walk their dogs, rollerblade like crazy in my neighborhood, and we don't have sidewalks. I think we are rated healthier than many other cities.
Are there areas outside of the villages and the 12 Corners area of Brighton in the suburbs that come to mind in terms of being able to walk to stores, shops, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 05:01 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are there areas outside of the villages and the 12 Corners area of Brighton in the suburbs that come to mind in terms of being able to walk to stores, shops, etc.?
Your definition and mine might be different. That being said, the suburbs have lots of corner plazas to walk to.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Your definition and mine might be different. That being said, the suburbs have lots of corner plazas to walk to.
I think it is, but I was curious of neighborhoods where one could safely walk to such plazas, stores, etc., similar to villages, city neighborhoods or even an area like the previously mentioned 12 Corners area. That is what many people usually think of when the term walkability comes up. So, that was what I was referring to versus making a judgment on what you may think it is.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:42 AM

Aren’t there parts of Webster outside of, but connected to the village and nearby shopping, that offer walkability? I believe parts of Greece may offer some walkability to stores, shops, etc. safely as well, but I wasn’t completely sure.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I think it is, but I was curious of neighborhoods where one could safely walk to such plazas, stores, etc., similar to villages, city neighborhoods or even an area like the previously mentioned 12 Corners area. That is what many people usually think of when the term walkability comes up. So, that was what I was referring to versus making a judgment on what you may think it is.
I know what you mean. Your definition is of a more "Urban" or dense group of buildings which generally aren't in the towns, except for villages.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean. Your definition is of a more "Urban" or dense group of buildings which generally aren't in the towns, except for villages.
Not necessarily, as I mentioned villages and a suburban area with some walkability(12 Corners). So, I’m thinking strictly in terms of being able to safely walk to amenities via sidewalks or even having the option of using transit/buses or bike lanes. A place can be walkable without be highly urban of dense. This isn’t to argue, but to clarify my question and point. For instance, there is quite a bit of shopping just west of the village of Webster, but wasn't sure if the neighborhoods just outside of the village had infrastructure for people to walk to those stores/plazas outside of Route 404.

With the 12 Corners area, you have sidewalks in the residential areas, which can allow people to walk to the stores, restaurants, shops in that area. So, I was wondering there was something similar in other suburban areas.

Just looking around, Irondequoit appears to have such areas where there are sidewalks in residential areas near the shopping on Titus Ave, Hudson Ave and Ridge Road.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-25-2022 at 08:35 AM..

Old 06-25-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Aren’t there parts of Webster outside of, but connected to the village and nearby shopping, that offer walkability? I believe parts of Greece may offer some walkability to stores, shops, etc. safely as well, but I wasn’t completely sure.
Yes, the commercial area of Webster to the west of the village is connected pretty well with sidewalks.

In Greece, of course there's Ridge Rd, Dewey Ave, Mt Read and Maiden Lane and the Latta Long Pond area.

All of these areas have fully developed housing and sidewalks.They are very "walkable". People generally drive to the commercial groupings to pick up food and supplies, and they drive. Then they will go home, put on their sneakers and go for a walk. So, the potential is there. People are tied to their cars, and lugging home $200 worth of groceries by foot doesn't make sense.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:23 AM

224 posts, read 136,488 times
We're in a very suburban feeling neighborhood just east of the 490. We can walk to Bushnell's Basin which has a few restaurants and stores. It's about a 1 mile walk to get there.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:42 AM

^Thanks both of you for the examples. Yeah, I’m not thinking so much about walking with a huge amount of groceries, but walking to a restaurant, shop, store or even to the grocery store for a few things without having to drive every time would be nice in this high gas price society we are in now.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
^Thanks both of you for the examples. Yeah, I’m not thinking so much about walking with a huge amount of groceries, but walking to a restaurant, shop, store or even to the grocery store for a few things without having to drive every time would be nice in this high gas price society we are in now.
I'll say. I've got a brand new truck that gets 17 MPG and a 10 year old car that get's 28 MPG. I mostly drive my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area