Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 10:19 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Neither can I. To me, that's "California pricing"..............
If it was California, try at least double/triple that, if not more depending on where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 12:41 PM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I don't know why they reduced the lanes, but the section I'm referring to carries very little traffic. Most people turn down Sweet Fern. North of there, the highway takes up many acres of prime real estate, and would be much better developed as housing. That, in turn would help the "village" of Seabreeze add some more options, and diverting the traffic would be helpful for commerce. All of the parking access for the amusement park are off of Culver now.
"JW", unfortunately I can't agree with you, with respect to taking the land north of Durand Blvd./Sweet Fern for housing units. Mayb I'm a bit prejudiced, but I have memories from my youth, of driving down through that area, heading for one of the restaurants that was there, back in the early 60s, and marveling at how the terrain dropped down, and you saw the lake in the distance. It reminded me of looking out over the ocean, when I was even younger, and living in my native area in NJ.

With respect to housing, especially for seniors, in East Irondequoit, I think that the situation is being well tended to. You have the "redevelopment" of the former Bon Ton and Sears stores in the mall, the senior apartments being built on what was the "backyard" of the former Wambach Farms property, as well as senior apartments on what was excess parking lots at both St. Cecilia's and St. Salome's Catholic churches. That's a lot of available housing!

Old 01-16-2024, 01:08 PM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
"JW", unfortunately I can't agree with you, with respect to taking the land north of Durand Blvd./Sweet Fern for housing units. Mayb I'm a bit prejudiced, but I have memories from my youth, of driving down through that area, heading for one of the restaurants that was there, back in the early 60s, and marveling at how the terrain dropped down, and you saw the lake in the distance. It reminded me of looking out over the ocean, when I was even younger, and living in my native area in NJ.

With respect to housing, especially for seniors, in East Irondequoit, I think that the situation is being well tended to. You have the "redevelopment" of the former Bon Ton and Sears stores in the mall, the senior apartments being built on what was the "backyard" of the former Wambach Farms property, as well as senior apartments on what was excess parking lots at both St. Cecilia's and St. Salome's Catholic churches. That's a lot of available housing!
I wasn't just talking about housing in general. It was in respect towards the Seabreeze neighborhood, and making it more of a village.

As far as the road, to me it wastes an awful lot of real estate, and the views are why I recommend the housing as well. I really don't see enough traffic in that section. There's really enough space for both the housing, and the road.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:13 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,779,706 times
Quote:
You are correct. Irondequoit is fully developed.

There are places like Sea Breeze, that if the town got it's act together could be thriving areas with housing, restaurants and hotels. I think they screwed it up bringing the highway down to Bill Gray's. They could have built 200 high end housing units on that land, and turn the area around, and still go to Bill Grays, et al, via Culver rd.

What land? are you referring to the Irondequoit Bay State Marine Park? This land is owned by the state and is not available for development. The only other big block of land in that area is the Seabreeze Amusement Park. I for one would rather leave it than to add yet another tract of condo developments.

Old 01-18-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
What land? are you referring to the Irondequoit Bay State Marine Park? This land is owned by the state and is not available for development. The only other big block of land in that area is the Seabreeze Amusement Park. I for one would rather leave it than to add yet another tract of condo developments.

Old 01-19-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
If you notice, that roadway takes up a huge swath of land, and the lanes are divided by a median. There's just an awful lot of land and pavement, all dedicated to a road that has very little traffic. And there is an alternative street to use. The only reason I even say that is #1, the property exists and is little used. #2 more housing could really invigorate the area for both the citizens and visitors to Seabreeze. It COULD turn into a Rochester gem, but as it is, never will be. The road could be narrowed, and have room for both.

Old 01-19-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post

If you notice, that roadway takes up a huge swath of land, and the lanes are divided by a median. There's just an awful lot of land and pavement, all dedicated to a road that has very little traffic. And there is an alternative street to use. The only reason I even say that is #1, the property exists and is little used. #2 more housing could really invigorate the area for both the citizens and visitors to Seabreeze. It COULD turn into a Rochester gem, but as it is, never will be. The road could be narrowed, and have room for both.

What ideas do you have to bring life to the Seabreeze area?

Old 01-19-2024, 09:58 AM

Quote:
How is "more housing" going to invigorate that area? It's a narrow sliver of land that doesn't readily adapt to anything more than a small apartment building. That would most certainly destroy the aesthetic of the area.

And part of the reason for "not a lot of traffic" on that northernmost portion of route 590, is because the county/state narrowed the roadway north of Ridge Road, down to one lane in each direction, and also added two "roundabouts". What I don't understand, is with the lanes SO narrow, if a vehicle happens to break down, on that stretch, HTH can anybody get by???

Old 01-19-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
How is "more housing" going to invigorate that area? It's a narrow sliver of land that doesn't readily adapt to anything more than a small apartment building. That would most certainly destroy the aesthetic of the area.

And part of the reason for "not a lot of traffic" on that northernmost portion of route 590, is because the county/state narrowed the roadway north of Ridge Road, down to one lane in each direction, and also added two "roundabouts". What I don't understand, is with the lanes SO narrow, if a vehicle happens to break down, on that stretch, HTH can anybody get by???
I guess you're not seeing, or thinking as I do. No problem.

I just see an area of very little significance now, but has the potential to be a destination for the region, like Shoen Place, for instance. A nice, walkable village with shops and restaurants. The missing piece is the critical mass of local population.

I see acres of developable space, including the hillside, and still leave plenty of wooded areas.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:55 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,779,706 times
Quote:
#2 more housing could really invigorate the area for both the citizens and visitors to Seabreeze. It COULD turn into a Rochester gem, but as it is, never will be. The road could be narrowed, and have room for both.
More houses Equal more kids (especially dense housing). More Kids Equal more schools. More school equal higher taxes.

You can't build a city into a prosperity city with just housing, you need commercial and industrial projects. They have far less infrastructure overhead for the local government than a housing development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area