Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:08 AM

19,579 posts, read 9,584,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyAxles View Post
I'll bet you remember Ar-Pe-Ko/Tobin's (never cared for Conti's) hots, Carroll's hamburgers (if not, then Red Barn, certainly), or maybe the hot dog stand on the way to Conesus next to the Callahan's Restaurant on the corner of South Lima Road and NY 15 (what was their name...Callahan, same as restaurant).
Oh yes... I do remember Carroll's hamburgers [weren't those like .15 cents?]. Perhaps I'm putting my age stamp here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
Depends upon your heritage I suppose, being mostly German, we eat kraut on or in everything. Ever have it in mashed potatoes?
Someone once told me as I was getting a hot dog from the stand, that one could tell where they were from by what they requested on their hot dogs - as far as condiments go.

"No one, I mean no one... puts catsup on their hot dog" [excerpt from Clint Eastwood movie, 'Sudden Impact"]. I do mustard, relish and a little bit of onion. Not against kraut but don't really put it on mine. Maybe rare occurrence. Usually just do the kraut on New Year's Day.
Anyone read latest that condiments may make you fat? I just saw that email on one of those health forums. Kraut in massive amounts usually do a number on my digestive system so perhaps that's why I don't eat as much of it.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 AM

99 posts, read 288,951 times
I don't search it out for garnish on dogs either but we do cook knockwurst and such in it. Know what you mean about the digestive system but since living the low carb lifestyle it doesn't bother me nearly as much. Last night had it in a green bean casserole, outstanding!

Condiments can be fattening, you need to read the labels. You can eat all you like of regular mustard, dill relish, red hot sauce, (onions, peppers if not soaked in oil). Ketchup and some of those fancy mustards are loaded with sugar.

I liked all the Dirty Harry movies.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:18 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,728,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
One other question...why do people here think that sauerkraut on a hot dog is strange? In NYC and long island the most common topping for a hot dog is with mustard and kraut. Especially at a Nathan's restaurant or Sabrett truck/cart.
maybe because lots of places up here do the "hot sauce" on the dogs

Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Hot dogs are gross, cheaper types of hot dogs are known to contain snouts, ears, and blended organs. Machines strip as much "real meat" from the bones, the bones (along with skin, feet and heads) and put it into a giant centrifuge - that spins at an extremely high speed. Very powerful water jets are directed into the drum and the contents basically break down into a "slightly gritty pink slurry". I'll stick to hamburgers, thank you.
Ewww, Rotten Chester.
Can you say "kosher" ?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 AM

504 posts, read 1,496,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Anyone read latest that condiments may make you fat? I just saw that email on one of those health forums. Kraut in massive amounts usually do a number on my digestive system so perhaps that's why I don't eat as much of it.
Most condiments are pretty bad for you, but sauerkraut is VERY healthy. It can definitely upset your stomach if you're not used to it, though.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:40 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,165,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
maybe because lots of places up here do the "hot sauce" on the dogs
I've been all over the country and I like the different toppings from place to place because it's cool to see our differences but a hot dog with mustard and kraut is like apple pie.....and to get a strange look for the request is what surprised me.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:30 AM

I still like putting catsup on my hot dogs, hamburgers, french fries,...
Sometimes tho I'll opt for barbeque sauce on the burgers.
When you ask for toppings does the 1st item you mention mean that's what you want the most of on your hot dog or hamburger?
It's better to put the items you want on your hot dog or hamburger yourself because then you have the option of quantity for each but sometimes you have to rely on the person on the other side of the cart or counter. Occasionally have gone to the cart stands where the person on the other end is not from the U.S. and often end up w/ more of one condiment than the other.
What to do about those stale buns

Old 07-11-2009, 04:04 PM

450 posts, read 1,060,461 times
Default Is Nick Tahou's still downtown?

Been away for awhile- can you still get a "Garbage Platter" at Nick Tahou's downtown, and is the carousel still open at Charlotte?

Old 07-11-2009, 06:44 PM

99 posts, read 288,951 times
Yes to the garbage plate, Carousel I am not certain about. There is one in Seabreeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area