Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:33 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,451,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
Been away for awhile- can you still get a "Garbage Platter" at Nick Tahou's downtown, and is the carousel still open at Charlotte?
The carousel is still there, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,350 times
Zweigles are the best!I haven't had a decent hot dog or burger since I moved to Florida almost 4 yrs ago.The hotdog here that the locals claim to be the best, is about the width of your baby finger and has little taste.The vendors are skimpy on the condiments and expensive too.Great burgers are pretty much nonexistant.Rochester has great food and I miss it everyday.We have sunshine,the ocean, very friendly people and great shrimp here,but when it comes to great food-you're the best!

Old 08-11-2009, 05:42 AM

7 posts, read 15,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
Been away for awhile- can you still get a "Garbage Platter" at Nick Tahou's downtown, and is the carousel still open at Charlotte?
we were in roch third week in july & the carousel is still open...$1.00 per ride, cheaper than the mall.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:02 AM

7 posts, read 15,088 times
i also am a rochester ny transplant to hickory nc...you talk about boring.
i like bruegger's bagels & cream cheese. fortunately, it's only a 50 min. drive to the nearest brueggers.
ice cream, forget it, there is not a friendly's or a carvel anywhere near here. there is one local chain (2-3 locations) that has made on premises ice cream, several flavors, however, it's just ice cream, nothing special.
ask for a mexican sunday & they want to call the PC police.
burgers, worse yet. the only place to get a decent burger here is chili's or long horn if you like that atmosphere.
nothing beats don's original for a cdheeseburger down on irondequoit bay, although vic & irv's hot sauce is better.

i swear i do not see the attraction to BBQ. that's all you see here. chopped pork on some sort of roll loaded with slaw, (these people are to lazy to say cole slaw). it's tasteless & boring, all you can taste are the toppings.
whan i first got here, i met a friend for lunch..she recommended a place near her office.
we walk in & approach the counter, i notice the menu board & being in NC about 2 weeks, order a burger.
10 mins later out it comes, it was grey. i called the server over & asked how this was cooked, she looked at me like i had two heads & said " in the oven". this place BAKED it's burgers. i told her if i wanted a meat loaf sandwich i would have ordered it. i'm positive this initiated a conversation with her fellow workers about the arrogant yankee.
in closimg, i hate it here, & not just because the food isn't fit for dogs.
these people down here wouldn't recognize anything good if it bit them.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:37 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times
Schwans the home delivery company is running a special right now.They give you up to $10 for free.I decided to order from their catalogue and ordered the Old Fashioned Weiners.I got them yesterday and boy was I surprised.They tasted almost exactly like the ones you get in NYC sold by street vendors.The best i've had in the area since i've been here.The kids loved them too.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:22 AM

19,536 posts, read 9,549,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer472 View Post
i also am a rochester ny transplant to hickory nc...you talk about boring.
i like bruegger's bagels & cream cheese. fortunately, it's only a 50 min. drive to the nearest brueggers.
ice cream, forget it, there is not a friendly's or a carvel anywhere near here. there is one local chain (2-3 locations) that has made on premises ice cream, several flavors, however, it's just ice cream, nothing special.
ask for a mexican sunday & they want to call the PC police.
burgers, worse yet. the only place to get a decent burger here is chili's or long horn if you like that atmosphere.
nothing beats don's original for a cdheeseburger down on irondequoit bay, although vic & irv's hot sauce is better.

i swear i do not see the attraction to BBQ. that's all you see here. chopped pork on some sort of roll loaded with slaw, (these people are to lazy to say cole slaw). it's tasteless & boring, all you can taste are the toppings.
whan i first got here, i met a friend for lunch..she recommended a place near her office.
we walk in & approach the counter, i notice the menu board & being in NC about 2 weeks, order a burger.
10 mins later out it comes, it was grey. i called the server over & asked how this was cooked, she looked at me like i had two heads & said " in the oven". this place BAKED it's burgers. i told her if i wanted a meat loaf sandwich i would have ordered it. i'm positive this initiated a conversation with her fellow workers about the arrogant yankee.
in closimg, i hate it here, & not just because the food isn't fit for dogs.
these people down here wouldn't recognize anything good if it bit them.
A BAKED Burger? Yuck !

Old 09-13-2009, 07:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
yeah that's another exaggeration...half of NY didnt' move to NC...the northern presence in the south is really over-stated. Between 2000 and 2007 about 800 people moved from Monroe County to Wake County (Raleigh area) and about 1200 moved from Monroe County to Mecklenberg County (Charlotte). There really isn't quite the "mass exodus" out of NY that many people believe. There's a definite trend, but its not like everyone in NY left or everone in NC is a transplant. There is definitely a very high transplant population in Wake and Mecklenberg Counties...with probably half of those counties' populations being trasnplants; but they aren't all from NY or even all from the North.

Goodberries is just like Abbots...frozen custard that always has a line around the corner. Only with more of a southern feel. lol
Stumbled upon this thread when researching Wegmans with the search feature. I have to say you were incorrect here about the number of people from New York state who have relocated down to NC. The number is in fact in the thousands.

In 2006 ALONE 1893 left New York CITY just for Charlotte. But there were many more from other parts of the state that made the move at that time - thousands more.

City to Middle Class: Just Not That Into You | The New York Observer

In 2007 New York lost 126,000 in population; 60,000 of whom went to Florida. Though the rest of these folks scattered all across the country, NC was in the top 3 destinations - so you can see, thousands have come here.

http://cber.iweb.bsu.edu/news/2009/011909_NYTimes.pdf

At the height of growth just prior to the recession the Charlotte metro area was seeing an influx of 80,000 newcomers a year, MOST of them from the northeast, New York and New Jersey in particular. It sure feels to us like half of the two states is down here, LOL.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 09-13-2009 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,720,443 times
Dogtown on Monroe Ave... omg, so good.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:47 AM

19,536 posts, read 9,549,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Stumbled upon this thread when researching Wegmans with the search feature. I have to say you were incorrect here about the number of people from New York state who have relocated down to NC. The number is in fact in the thousands.

In 2006 ALONE 1893 left New York CITY just for Charlotte. But there were many more from other parts of the state that made the move at that time - thousands more.

City to Middle Class: Just Not That Into You | The New York Observer

In 2007 New York lost 126,000 in population; 60,000 of whom went to Florida. Though the rest of these folks scattered all across the country, NC was in the top 3 destinations - so you can see, thousands have come here.

http://cber.iweb.bsu.edu/news/2009/011909_NYTimes.pdf

At the height of growth just prior to the recession the Charlotte metro area was seeing an influx of 80,000 newcomers a year, MOST of them from the northeast, New York and New Jersey in particular. It sure feels to us like half of the two states is down here, LOL.
There's two other people besides me from NYS in the little office that I presently work in, [Wash., DC].

Old 09-24-2009, 05:44 PM

12 posts, read 73,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Dogtown on Monroe Ave... omg, so good.
+1

Dogtown is great!! I especially like the 2 hot dog plate w/ sweet potato fries. I don't know how some people can call Zweigles dogs bland! Throw a package of red & white pop-opens on the grill and get them a little burnt on the outside, spread some coarse ground mustard and you have some flavor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area