Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2023, 12:26 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SITMrSfO7s

Sacramento Street Scenes at Night

It appears the lights of the Cal-EPA high-rise building are lit tonight? I have not seen that in years, perhaps it’s just lit for the holidays?

At any rate, here is a video of Sacramento Street Scenes at night. (Not my video).

0.26 seconds: Tower Bridge in West Sacramento looking East towards downtown.

10:01: Downtown Commons (DOCO) looking west down the David J. Stern Walk with Arena in the background

20:13: Capital Mall, looking west with the Capitol Bldg. Christmas Tree and the Tower Bridge down at the end of the Mall.

30:16: :Old Sacramento on Front and K Streets looking east towards DOCO.

36:28: Santa riding a Bicycle Taxi

40:22: 12th and I Streets

There is something visible in the sky in all these scenes, I wonder what it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 06:22 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times
I was at the game last night. It was popping more than K street ever was with that shyte mall

Old 12-23-2023, 07:31 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
I was at the game last night. It was popping more than K street ever was with that shyte mall
I hear you about the "shyte" part, but K Street always surprises me from DOCO(3rd to 7th) and the 800 block on how many folks frequent all those restaurants and bars. Many of them are lively and unique in that most are not "chains". Old Sacramento bars were busy too.

There is still that disconnect between clusters of vibrancy(blocks of walkable urban style restaurants/bars) between all the other clusters of vibrancy within the Grid. Too many lifeless vacant blocks with the occasional tent encampment.

I was in Austin recently and we are so much alike with their grid and ours, except theirs has way more connection and synergy and their clusters are all connected without gaps of vacant blocks and storefronts. Their homeless on the streets is increasing but tent encampments are next to nill within their grid.

I can only imagine if the main UC Davis campus sat along the borders of the Sacto River in West Sacramento and was part of their mini-grid. The energy that could come from that would be the same as what the University of Texas gives to Austin as it sits right in the heart of downtown Austin.

Having said that, and considering UC Davis's main campus is 15 miles away across a natural border of a floodplain that will rightfully never be developed, downtown Sacramento was hopping with young folks.

The Sac State University campus could be an energy source of vibrancy for the grid if the Light Rail went directly into the campus instead of out in left field by the freeway at the 65th Street Station. On a positive note, much of the new student housing is clustered around that station, now if they could only liven up that station the way they have the 29th Street Light Rail station with the new lighting features---very cool...which I think they are doing now.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-23-2023 at 07:52 PM..

Old 12-24-2023, 05:51 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times
Housing would increase vibrancy. Unfortunately liberals have created so much regulation, companies can only afford to build luxury rentals to get profit margins they need. Or the have to do low income housing to get tax breaks.

Sac lacks the private sector jobs to sustain high income housing, and too much low income will make downtown a slum again.

So we have a 'missing middle', that can only be sustained by micro studios. But who wants to finish college, get a government job, and live in a micro studio? Not anyone over 25....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento