Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 36,573 times

Advertisements

Here are some details..... I moved to Las Vegas from Seattle and don't like it here. There is a lack of culture, believe it or not. And I miss trees and parks. I don't own a car and sacramento seems to have a decent light rail system (better than the practically non-existant public transportation in Vegas). I've heard to stay out of South Sacramento. Some things about me, I like anything and everything outdoors, local coffee shops, pubs, and restraunts. I graduated from UW, hopefully I can get a job. What are the REAL pros and cons of Sacramento. I want to know what you love and what you hate. thanks to everyone who answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 04:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,698,457 times
I lived in Sacramento 10 years in my 20s. Went to Sac State. IN my 30s now with kids and live in Seattle. We WILL be moving back - I absolutely hate Seattle. But maybe it's because I'm in a different stage of life then a UW student (Husband graduated UW in 1998)

ANYWAY

What is it truly you do not like about Vegas. Because Sacramento is NOT a bustling town of fun. It's quite laid back. There are many outdoor opportunities. But the majority of Sacramento and it's outskirts are suburbs with families (think Issaquah)

Midtown will give you the closest Seattle feel. I think it's alot like Wallingford area of Seattle.

It's hot - blazing hot - just like Vegas. If you like Seattle weather you will hate Sacramento. I loved Sacramento weather and absolutely can not stand Seattle weather. I'm freaking cold here.

WHy not go back to Seattle? Besides there are a ton of jobs in Seattle (not much in Sac, unfortunately)

PS - I also notice there are a TON of pubs in Seattle. Geez it's like a national past time up here. Sacramento doesn't need pubs (there are some) but it's nothing like all the booze up here in Seattle.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:59 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,277,077 times
Sacramento of the mid-1990s wasn't a bustling town of fun, except in certain select spots. Sacramento in 2008 has a lot more bustle to it. It's a laid-back sort of bustle at this point, you can choose to take part of it or not. Living outside of the central city is still not very bustling at all...

Sacramento has a few more pubs than it did back then, but what it lacks in pubs it makes up for in bars. The difference? PBR and Bud instead of Guinness. This has always been a beer-drinkin' town, partially just to keep cool in summer's scorching heat.

Sacramento's light rail and bus system are okay but not that great, although with all the recent attention on public transit hopefully things will get better (assuming that the governor stops slashing the state public-transit budget.) Most people have cars, except in the central city.

What, exactly, are you referring to when you say "culture"? Opera and symphony? Designer clothing and upscale boutiques? Big arena concerts and tons of nightclubs? Performance artists and indie moviehouses? Drive-in theaters and women's rollerderby teams? More detail will provoke more detailed answers...

Old 06-17-2008, 02:17 AM

433 posts, read 2,355,993 times
Compared to Las Vegas and Seattle, Sacramento has in my opinion a dream climate. I think the year round climate here is way underrated. Sure, we have some hot spells in the summer and fog or rain times in the winter, but overall the climate is fantastic. And it's better than the remainder of the Central Valley. Cool/comfortable nights even in the summer thanks to the marine air that moves through the nearby Delta.

Sacramento is not going to compete with Seattle in the culture department. Compared to Vegas, yes. Much more family orientated here though. The one thing Sacramento does have over both Seattle and Las Vegas is rather close proximity to some of the world's best travel/day trip destinations. It is VERY hard to beat Sacramento for the ability to visit the beautiful coast, mountains and everything in between. A travel nirvana. In Seattle, you can visit some fine places but the driving seems to take forever to get anywhere and there are really so few nice weather days to actually do it. Here, it's just the opposite. The vast majority of days are nice.

If you like trees and parks, you will love Sacramento. Much of it is a dense urban forest.

About the only real negative I can come up with is if you don't have a solidly middle class income. The lower class areas aren't that great. I've seen much worse slummy areas in other large cities, but the culture would be similar. If you can afford the moderate to high end areas here than you will likely enjoy your time in Sacramento. Like many places, a tale of two cities.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:52 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,598 times
[quote=Kingsnkali;4131157]Compared to Las Vegas and Seattle, Sacramento has in my opinion a dream climate. I think the year round climate here is way underrated. Sure, we have some hot spells in the summer and fog or rain times in the winter, but overall the climate is fantastic. And it's better than the remainder of the Central Valley. Cool/comfortable nights even in the summer thanks to the marine air that moves through the nearby Delta.

Sacramento is not going to compete with Seattle in the culture department. Compared to Vegas, yes. Much more family orientated here though. The one thing Sacramento does have over both Seattle and Las Vegas is rather close proximity to some of the world's best travel/day trip destinations. It is VERY hard to beat Sacramento for the ability to visit the beautiful coast, mountains and everything in between. A travel nirvana. In Seattle, you can visit some fine places but the driving seems to take forever to get anywhere and there are really so few nice weather days to actually do it. Here, it's just the opposite. The vast majority of days are nice.

Granted, the weather here could be much worse, think hot and humid Houston, TX, but it is far from ideal. What's worse than the heat is the May through September smog season. Horrendous air quality is the price we pay for this "beautiful", moderate climate.
With the overall poor economy, and Sacramento's local economy doing particularly bad, combined with astronomical gas prices and so forth, the "great location" advantage of Sacramento is starting to lose a lot of credibility. Most people cannot afford and extra 50 to 100 dollars on a tank of gas for a day trip to Tahoe or the Bay Area anymore. The trains run infrequently and take forever unless you have plenty of extra time, and forget about the nasty Greyhound.
Although things have improved within the city over the last 10 years, Sacramento, especially the downtown core, needs to find a way to get it's act together and revitalize itself as quickly as possible to give people a reason to want to stay in town. Not only to give the locals more to occupy themselves with but to foster some level of civic pride; something that I think is lacking here in tomato-town.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 27,175 times
Hello im thinking of moving to Sacramento from Watsonville. I have four children ranging from 11Watsonville to 21 my oldest a girl was in a car accident last march which left her paralyzed I now take care of her. My oldest boy wants to go to Sacramento state, and my third which graduates this june from high school. Wants to become a pro skater. Which im with the understanding that the epic center is the ninth best skate part in California. My youngest doesnt want toto move.My problem is where is the best area to move to. I love the country setting. Im not to crazy about crowded towns. Can you guys please recommend a great area.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:46 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,087 times
Can you please describe what you would consider a "great area" along with your budget? How far are you willing to drive from the country to the skate park, and where is the skate park?

Old 03-13-2012, 01:00 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,933 times
[quote=cityx;4149424]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
Compared to Las Vegas and Seattle, Sacramento has in my opinion a dream climate. I think the year round climate here is way underrated. Sure, we have some hot spells in the summer and fog or rain times in the winter, but overall the climate is fantastic. And it's better than the remainder of the Central Valley. Cool/comfortable nights even in the summer thanks to the marine air that moves through the nearby Delta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post

Granted, the weather here could be much worse, think hot and humid Houston, TX, but it is far from ideal. What's worse than the heat is the May through September smog season. Horrendous air quality is the price we pay for this "beautiful", moderate climate.
With the overall poor economy, and Sacramento's local economy doing particularly bad, combined with astronomical gas prices and so forth, the "great location" advantage of Sacramento is starting to lose a lot of credibility. Most people cannot afford and extra 50 to 100 dollars on a tank of gas for a day trip to Tahoe or the Bay Area anymore. The trains run infrequently and take forever unless you have plenty of extra time, and forget about the nasty Greyhound.
Although things have improved within the city over the last 10 years, Sacramento, especially the downtown core, needs to find a way to get it's act together and revitalize itself as quickly as possible to give people a reason to want to stay in town. Not only to give the locals more to occupy themselves with but to foster some level of civic pride; something that I think is lacking here in tomato-town.
To be fair, the revitalization has been well under way for the past decade. I know that Sacramento's central city is a completely different world and far better than what it was like when I moved here in 2004.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,970 times
Sacramento's problem is mainly the distance you have to drive to do things. Unfortunately the midtown area is unlivable for normal people. East Sacramento, Land Park, and environs are ideal locations but very pricey. If you are like most and live in the suburbs, you are driving everywhere all the time. Apart from this, Sacramento has a lot to recommend it. The area is full of pleasant and interesting people. The city itself is not too wild, but has plenty in the way of culture. And I agree with those who praise the climate, which is almost a perfect mix (just lacking a little snow in the winter).

The crime and gang-infested neighborhoods are easy to avoid. However, some of their "work" does spill over into better neighborhoods. Be careful in S. Land Park, Pocket, Rancho Cordova, Citrus Heights, Tahoe Park, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:48 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,933 times
S land park and pocket? Gang infested?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento