Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:59 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,584 times

Advertisements

Rocklin, Loomis, Newcastle, Roseville, Granite Bay, Auburn. No reason to drive from Anatolia when you could live in Lincoln or the above mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 01:07 AM

491 posts, read 1,261,450 times
Be careful of that area of "New Rancho". Some of the area has problems from toxic wastes created by the manufacture of rockets (primarily Aerojet) from the 1960's. See http://www.ewg.org/node/15913 There are especially problems with ground water. I remember some articles in the Sacramento Bee about year or two ago about it. I would do a search on the problem either on Google or the Sac Bee. My wife works with someone who had a baby and lives in that area and they are scared to death about the problem. They thought they got a great deal on their new house and then found out about the pollution problem. They think they were lied to by the builder.

I live in "Old Rancho". It's ok, but you have to check it out on a street by street by street basis. There are some really bad apartment complexes that you do not want to live within three or four streets of. The good news is that it is one of the cheapest "acceptable" areas around, but you have to be careful.

Last edited by ElectroPlumber; 10-21-2009 at 01:17 AM..

Old 10-23-2009, 02:43 PM

29 posts, read 86,696 times
^ Yeah, I remember Rancho being more of an industrial area, especially the sections right off of Folsom Blvd. It's probably one of the more dangerous suburbs of Sac. Not like ghetto or anything lol, but a place you wouldn't want to walk around at night.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:12 PM

109 posts, read 377,712 times
Anatolia is a new community that is off the Jackson Freeway behind the old Mather AFB. It has its own Club House. Its a new neighborhood with big homes and the children are sent to some of the highest performing schools in the the Elk Grove Unified School District.

I think its a fair criticism to say that is remote and distant from the rest of the region, possibly a little dull and lacking excitement but its definitely not dangerous place to live.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:32 AM

409 posts, read 957,228 times
Anatolia is rather remote and I hope it stays that way. It's quiet and safe so that my wife and family take strolls in the evening or take the dogs to any of the three parks and let them run around (with a pooper scooper of course). neighbors are friendly and If we want to shop its an easy drive to the local stores in Rancho or Folsom either by Grant Line/White Rock Road or the freeway. Additionally, we have a new Walgreens across the street for basic items (milk, cleaning supplies, meds and the like). The kids in Anatolia attend the local elementary school which despite opening only two years ago has had two years of strong academic performance (check out the API). Older kids attend the highly rated middle (K. Albiani) and top performing high school (Pleasant Grove) in the EGUSD (again, check out the API). As for "be careful of the new Rancho" and "Rancho is... the "more dangerous suburbs of Sacramento" it's time for a reality check. I dont have to worry about Anatolia "street by street" and the water for the community is not derived from the local groundwater ( and I'm not planning on digging a well in my backyard anytime soon) Please, if you like cookie cutter retailers at your doorstep, neighbors that are more interested in appearances and the need to look down on others, congested streets, and overpriced real estate, by all means look at those other communities.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 18,328 times
can any one please tell me about mills middle school . and the area around jc pennys outlet . is it safe should i move there . i have kids and one will be attending mills if i decide to move there. i have not seen the area i have been dealing with a realtor by phone please can some one tell me what they think ans know thank you so much. i work alot and and have 4 kids im a single mom

Old 07-11-2010, 10:12 AM

290 posts, read 544,399 times
Hi 200Miles,

Rancho is kind of going through a lot of changes regardless of what some people here may say. There is a reason they incorporated because Sac County is just clueless. They are making improvments in the area. In a couple years I think people might be suprised with the resurgence of Rancho especially the new areas of Rancho South of Sunrise.

I went to Cordova High years ago and back then they were pretty good schools (Mills and Cordova). Top rated athletic programs in the nation. After Mather Airforce Base closed Rancho Cordova kind of degenerated a bit. I've been told the schools arent as good as they use to be but again thats hearsay.

I do know there is a lot that is intended to be done in Rancho and that includes a lot of rebuilding and improvements. If you are considering Rancho I would definitely check out the new homes South of Sunrise. Not Anatolia one, but the new Kavala Ranch Area. I'm a big Folsom advocate, but I must say I was really impressed with the home my co-worker purchased in Kavala Ranch. Great deals, huge lots, great neighborhood, all new properly qualified buyers and hardly a rental anywhere. Also even though that area is considered Rancho the school District is Elk Grove school District. Eventually they will be building brand new schools in that area. In several years that area will get developed and yes Folsomites, merge with new housing that will be built on the other side of highway 50 (Grantlline, Prairie City Road area). You can see where the unfinished roads are heading. Right now the houses in Kavala Ranch are a great deal and we are talking good home builders (Lennar, Tim Lewis).

As far as school rankings check this site out
Elk Grove
Test Scores for Elk Grove Unified School District | GreatSchools

Rancho
Rancho Cordova Schools - Rancho Cordova California School Ratings - Public and Private

And overall comparison
Select a City Near Rancho Cordova
School Rankings for the City of Rancho Cordova, CA

If you can afford it Folsom is top notch area and great schools. Orangevale is not bad and probably not as pricey as Folsom. Gold River is a very nice area in Rancho but its pricey and has expensive HOA's. If I was to buy a house in Rancho I would definitely check out Kavala Ranch or look if there is something you can afford in Gold River. The area near Mills is kind of the older area of Rancho. Not quite sure what the neighborhood is like these days.

By the way, looking at the rankings from that website Mills doesnt seem to be very good.

Last edited by webdev; 07-11-2010 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 06:34 PM

151 posts, read 397,499 times
I spent a year in Rancho Cordova, and location wise, it was easily the most horrible experience of my life. I guess I'd live there if the other options were East St. Louis or Watts, but short of that I'd probably pick anywhere else.

The cops were at our apartment (which was about $1100/mo) almost every other night.

I couldn't walk my dog 10 feet without it grabbing a chicken bone somebody had tossed out of their car and on to the side of the road).

My wife got creepy looks from guys that didn't live anywhere near there.

The cops tasered a coke dealer in the apartment below us.

I got physically threatened by a drunk neighbor.

My wife got harrassed walking out of the Safeway.

There are zero entertainment options.

Several cars were stolen out of the parking lot of our apartment (a steering wheel club is essential).

We would drive at least to Sunset to do any kind of shopping.

Sure, there's probably cheap housing--it's cheap because nobody wants to live there. There's no way I'd buy a house in Rancho, especially when there are devalued properties in desirable neighborhoods. I don't see any factors putting upward pressure on Rancho properties any time soon. The one exception would be if the southern part (south of 50) were ever able to split off--but that seems like a political pipe dream.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 PM

290 posts, read 544,399 times
FentonForche I gather you moved out in the older area near coloma etc? Those apts along Coloma are not the best places to live. The area south of sunrise is so far and away from regular Rancho. I dont even consider it Rancho. Secondly, if people are going to bark about Rancho what can you say about Gold River? Again it all depends on the area "within" Rancho. Gold River IS in Rancho regardles of what Gold River people say. My point is there are nice areas of Rancho (Gold River), and affordable, new and nice areas of Rancho (south of sunrise, Anatolia, Kavala Ranch etc). You are correct about the shopping, entertainment, restuaraunts in Rancho. Not much in Rancho. But Folsom, and Roseville arent that far away. Heck Folsom is ony about 15+ minutes away from Anatolia area. Just go right up Douglas to Grant Line.

Last edited by webdev; 07-13-2010 at 10:12 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 11:00 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdev View Post
FentonForche I gather you moved out in the older area near coloma etc? Those apts along Coloma are not the best places to live. The area south of sunrise is so far and away from regular Rancho. I dont even consider it Rancho. Secondly, if people are going to bark about Rancho what can you say about Gold River? Again it all depends on the area "within" Rancho. Gold River IS in Rancho regardles of what Gold River people say. My point is there are nice areas of Rancho (Gold River), and affordable, new and nice areas of Rancho (south of sunrise, Anatolia, Kavala Ranch etc). You are correct about the shopping, entertainment, restuaraunts in Rancho. Not much in Rancho. But Folsom, and Roseville arent that far away. Heck Folsom is ony about 15+ minutes away from Anatolia area. Just go right up Douglas to Grant Line.
To the best of my knowledge, that comment is incorrect. I believe they remain in the unincorporated county area.

I recall those residents being rather vocal with county officials in objecting to plans from Rancho Cordova to add an exit on Rt 50, between Sunrise and Hazel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento