Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 09:55 AM

24 posts, read 56,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabu View Post
SALEM!!! Been here 4 yrs (97304). I can bike everywhere. Go on weekends to capital & join bike club rides. Saturday market is great. Riverfront park always has something going on. I drive to Wallace park with grandkids & play at water, then walk across bridge with g'kids & walk to the capital, mall, children's museum, Riverfront park(carousel).Great hiking 45 min drive East. (Great hiking at Silver falls but crazy in summer&limited trail for dogs) Beach 45 min West..Dallas DRIVE IN (5 Stars!)for summer movies (summer movies free@waterfront park). Wineries locally & plentiful fresh upick farms. Very pet friendly. I'm 52 originally from Seattle & FOUGHT to NOT move here. ("Why would anyone choose to live in OR?") Lived Portland 10 years before Salem. Now i won't move! Oregon is friendly & great for outdoor, active healthy people. Salem is best of all worlds (except Hood River..I'm a water person but Hood River's too pricey) Good luck & welcome!!
Totally agree! I've been to Salem several times to visit. I will be moving there this Summer. Can't wait! My wife has been allowed to work from home through her employer and I will be going to the Veterans job fair at the Salem Convention Center in March. We are waiting to sell our property in Arizona to buy one in West or South Salem soon after the move.

Phoenix, Arizona is too boring, has dirty air and is basically too brown. If you look in the paper here for things to do, it lists bars, nightclubs and dining. In that order. Sad really. If there is a festival or event, you must travel an hour and a half to get to it. The closest rivers and lakes are an hour away. Local city ponds have left their fountains and water circulation pumps broken causing the water to stink with stagnation. 40% of Arizona forest has been burned or ruined by bark beetles in the past ten years. Budget cuts have left state parks and recreational areas looking like hell. Very little access to inexpensive preschools for kids. Most of our food, including vegetables is shipped in from other states. The state fair is plagued with gang activity. Its getting worse.

Lets keep going on Salem. Western Days fireworks in Independence near the river. Multiple local lakes and ponds stocked regularly with rainbow trout. Farm co-ops. Streams running though land and properties throughout the valley. Fresh seafood. Bed and breakfasts close by. Awesome Skiing, snow play and camping to the East. Cleaner air. Yes , there are problems. What place doesn't? Though some have a lot more than others. You have it good Oregon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 01:18 PM

13 posts, read 52,899 times
Default Found SomewhereEelse

Just to let anyone who is curious know:

After several disappointments and frustrations trying to buy a home in the Willamette Valley, we just purchased a home in Manchester, Washington. It was not a matter of better or worse places to live, but rather a question of where homes that we liked were available. Available being the key word.

I know I will be happy there because I grew up in and lived most of my life in the Puget Sound area. My wife is compromising, because the Willamette Valley reminded her of rural NE Iowa where she grew up. However, she absolutely loves the house and property we found. Thanks to everyone for their posts on this thread and others. They were very helpful and we appreciate the time that was spent to help us.

Ken

Old 02-03-2015, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,875 times
Albany has much higher crime rate considering the size, verses Salem has much better and more good neighborhoods to live in. And great access to hwy to beach.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:46 PM

200 posts, read 62,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken WA View Post
Just to let anyone who is curious know:

After several disappointments and frustrations trying to buy a home in the Willamette Valley, we just purchased a home in Manchester, Washington. It was not a matter of better or worse places to live, but rather a question of where homes that we liked were available. Available being the key word.

I know I will be happy there because I grew up in and lived most of my life in the Puget Sound area. My wife is compromising, because the Willamette Valley reminded her of rural NE Iowa where she grew up. However, she absolutely loves the house and property we found. Thanks to everyone for their posts on this thread and others. They were very helpful and we appreciate the time that was spent to help us.

Ken
Hi Ken
Sorry you had A hard time trying to buy a home in the Willamette Valley area.So many good cites to choose from both small and large.I bet buyers selling in California and Arizona are buying more in Oregon right now.
Never been to that part of Washington you are moving too,but I bet it is very nice area also.

I know the no sale tax is nice in Oregon.But which state is more friendly to retire in,as in less tax over all?

My family lives around Albany right now.I like smaller towns,and Salem being so close,we can head up their about 3 or 4 times a month.
I also like to ride my bicycle.I just do not like the long wet winters.So might head to east Oregon or Washington when I get closer to retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreampatch View Post
Albany has much higher crime rate considering the size, verses Salem has much better and more good neighborhoods to live in. And great access to hwy to beach.
Going by city-data,Salem has more crime per 100,000.
But is way down from about 10 years ago.
As for neighborhoods almost every town has good and bad areas.Both towns have
very nice neighborhoods and I would be happy in either city.
oh and Albany has easy access to hwy to beach also.

Last edited by jjbnum3; 07-22-2015 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem