Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:57 AM

13 posts, read 52,836 times

Advertisements

If you had to make a choice between living in Salem or Albany (or their immediate surrounding areas) which would you choose and why?

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:31 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
It would depend. If I were earning $30k a year single I'd wager I could do more with that $$ in Albany, and it's a shortish hop to Corvallis for social life, particularly from the west side.

But $50k+ with a family, I'd tend to choose Salem for amenities, schools, etc.

Also depends on what you do for work. More gov't jobs in Salem - Albany gives you better access to OSU.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
It would depend. If I were earning $30k a year single I'd wager I could do more with that $$ in Albany, and it's a shortish hop to Corvallis for social life, particularly from the west side.

But $50k+ with a family, I'd tend to choose Salem for amenities, schools, etc.

Also depends on what you do for work. More gov't jobs in Salem - Albany gives you better access to OSU.
Thanks.
We're both retired. No kids living with us. We are both active. We do a lot of cycling, so bike friendly is a plus. Night life is not an attraction, but outdoor activities (hiking mountain biking, kayaking, etc) are. We are trying to find one or two acres with a decent house, which I think we can do in either place within our budget. It's just a matter of figuring out which locale is best for our life style. Quality of healthcare is factor.
Maybe we just need to decide whether we want the road to the ocean ending at Cannon Beach or Newport. Quality of healthcare is factor.
Easy access to the great Oregon beaches is a major motivation in our move.

Ken

Last edited by Ken WA; 07-29-2014 at 03:59 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken WA View Post
Thanks.
We're both retired. No kids living with us. We are both active. We do a lot of cycling, so bike friendly is a plus. Night life is not an attraction, but outdoor activities (hiking mountain biking, kayaking, etc) are. We are trying to find one or two acres with a decent house, which I think we can do in either place within our budget. It's just a matter of figuring out which locale is best for our life style. Quality of healthcare is factor.
Maybe we just need to decide whether we want the road to the ocean ending at Cannon Beach or Newport. Quality of healthcare is factor.
Easy access to the great Oregon beaches is a major motivation in our move.

Ken
I should have said Lincoln City or Newport.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
There is access to outdoor activities no matter what city you live in around here so I don't think that impacts which city you choose. So it really depends then on what you want in a city. Salem is three times larger than Albany so you can't really compare the two.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
There is access to outdoor activities no matter what city you live in around here so I don't think that impacts which city you choose. So it really depends then on what you want in a city. Salem is three times larger than Albany so you can't really compare the two.
If you read my original post again, you will see that I did not ask for a comparison or for someone to suggest a choice for me.

I asked, "Given a choice of only those two places, which would YOU choose and why?"

For example: You might choose Salem because it is larger.
Someone else might choose Albany because they like the proximity to OSU.

My hope was that, from the comments, I could glean some positive aspects of both places that perhaps I wasn't yet aware of.

Ken

P.S. If a respondent should answer that they would not choose either of these two places, they will, in the context of this thread, be forever damned to wander homelessly along the lush shore of the Salton Sea.

Last edited by Ken WA; 07-29-2014 at 10:14 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 10:17 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken WA View Post
If you read my original post again, you will see that I did not ask for a comparison or for someone to make a choice for me .

I asked, "Given a choice of only those two places, which would YOU choose and why?"

For example: You might choose Salem because it is larger.
Someone else might choose Albany because they like the proximity to OSU.

My hope was that, from the comments, I could glean some positive aspects of both places that perhaps I wasn't yet aware of.

Ken
I live in Salem because Albany isn't particularly appealing and it is way too small a town for me. It is also why I don't live in any of the surrounding cities. Too small.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
What I can't figure out is why Albany's even on the table. No one lives there unless they have to. You should look at Corvallis instead.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What I can't figure out is why Albany's even on the table. No one lives there unless they have to. You should look at Corvallis instead.
Albany is on the table because I started the thread.

(and I'm pretty sure, I've never been off of I-5 as I passed through, Unless you are talking pre I-5. My dad may have stopped for gas on Hwy 99, when I was a kid)
I'm a UW alum, so there is probably an ordinance banning me from living in Corvallis, or Eugene for that matter. My Dad was raised in Oregon, so maybe I could get some sort of legacy exception.
Ken

Last edited by Ken WA; 07-29-2014 at 11:18 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Albany's a dump. It's all flat. Corvallis is closer to the Coast Range and has a better overall ambiance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem