Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 07:17 PM

16 posts, read 31,389 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

So, ashamedly, I have to admit I'm one of the folks that will be contributing to the influx of people and traffic to the Salem area due to the upcoming total solar eclipse on Aug 21st 2017. Sorry.....my only defense is I'm an astronomy nerd and I planned this over a year ago.

Just checking in to see what the general feel is regarding the eclipse, and the influx of out of state spectators with respect to traffic and such. I've already secured a place to stay over a year ago, and even then, the number of booked hotels was pretty high. Can't imagine what it would have been like recently to try to book something.

Specifically, I'll be staying in McMinnville, which is "just" inside the shadow of totality. I would like to the take 99W down to Monmouth which will be much deeper in the shadow and will enjoy more totality time (30 secs vs 2 minutes). Can any locals tell me if this sounds like a good way to go? Is 99W a heavily traveled route or might it be on Aug 21st. I'm thinking I5 will be seriously congested especially near Salem and hence want to find an alternate location and travel path.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 08:41 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,827,248 times
99W really isn't an "alternate" route to Monmouth from McMinnville-- it's the route. I-5 goes nowhere near Monmouth. I imagine traffic will be heavy throughout the entire area with people trying to get those extra few seconds of totality. ETA this is just a guess, but I think a lot of people are going to have ideas about "back roads" that won't work out as planned. If it were me, I'd test it out in the morning, and if traffic is really bad going out of McMinnville, I'd turn around and take my 30 seconds.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-14-2017 at 09:10 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 09:28 PM

121 posts, read 107,046 times
You can click on any place on this interactive map to see the eclipse duration-

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/d...map/index.html

Just a few miles south of McMinnville is over a minute according to the map, so it might not be necessary to drive so far to have a decent experience.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:32 AM

15,467 posts, read 9,149,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landmissle View Post
Hi folks,

So, ashamedly, I have to admit I'm one of the folks that will be contributing to the influx of people and traffic to the Salem area due to the upcoming total solar eclipse on Aug 21st 2017. Sorry.....my only defense is I'm an astronomy nerd and I planned this over a year ago.

Just checking in to see what the general feel is regarding the eclipse, and the influx of out of state spectators with respect to traffic and such. I've already secured a place to stay over a year ago, and even then, the number of booked hotels was pretty high. Can't imagine what it would have been like recently to try to book something.

Specifically, I'll be staying in McMinnville, which is "just" inside the shadow of totality. I would like to the take 99W down to Monmouth which will be much deeper in the shadow and will enjoy more totality time (30 secs vs 2 minutes). Can any locals tell me if this sounds like a good way to go? Is 99W a heavily traveled route or might it be on Aug 21st. I'm thinking I5 will be seriously congested especially near Salem and hence want to find an alternate location and travel path.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
99W is a narrow two lane road. It will be jammed. Leave early.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:38 AM

67 posts, read 50,141 times
it never got thaaat bad

Old 12-21-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldjackson View Post
it never got thaaat bad
Actually the exodus after the eclipse certainly lived up to the predictions IMHO. Getting there was not so bad, but I spent five hours sitting in total gridlock after the eclipse. Even eight hours after the eclipse the traffic was still stop and go on I-5 through Eugene. It was that bad.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,776 posts, read 58,229,287 times
I need to get additional RV sites added to my TX Hill Country property for 2024. 4 minutes + of totality.

I missed 2017 Salem cuz I felt Nebraska had better odds of clear skies. (and it did!) 300+ miles of it (basically right down I-80. (handy for quick exit)

Old 12-22-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I need to get additional RV sites added to my TX Hill Country property for 2024. 4 minutes + of totality.

I missed 2017 Salem cuz I felt Nebraska had better odds of clear skies. (and it did!) 300+ miles of it (basically right down I-80. (handy for quick exit)
I'm kind of getting the urge to visit Texas in 2024. This being my first time viewing an eclipse, I didn't really know what to expect. I really liked some of the YouTube videos that people took of the 360 degree sunset. I didn't get much of a chance to see that, because I watched this eclipse from inside a small canyon slightly below the rim. I'm not usually a fan of flat land, but Texas could offer some nice opportunities for viewing a 360 degree sunset. I still have to think if it's worth a 5,000 mile round trip drive, though.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,776 posts, read 58,229,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm kind of getting the urge to visit Texas in 2024. .... I'm not usually a fan of flat land, but Texas could offer some nice opportunities for viewing a 360 degree sunset. I still have to think if it's worth a 5,000 mile round trip drive, though.
2024 will be during Bluebonnet season (April), Hill Country is not flat, but not mtns. And plenty of ‘hills’ for 360 view. You can find $200 flights to Austin or San Antonio. That will save to some time and money (more to spend on BBQ) coolers of PNW Salmon fly free on SWA, barter for brisket to bring home to PNW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem