Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:46 AM

77 posts, read 93,459 times

Advertisements

Jules, some of your points are well-taken... however, we HAVE tried to get involved. The answer I receive most is "Call the Bexar County Sheriff's office". It's sad to me that the dumping of animals seems to be just an expected part of living here. I have lived coast-to-coast in small towns and bigger cities, and I have NEVER seen anything like this.
I was also wondering if any other Westcreekers are ever bothered by the dirtbike riders... maybe it's because we are on the backside of the subdivision. First of all, they are using private property and we have spoken to the property manager who told us the owner has given nobody permission to use the land. It is so annoying to listen to them--especially on an early weekend morning. To their credit, the deputies come out, but by the time they arrive, the kids are usually gone. I'm not against dirtbikes... I just think there must be a place to enjoy them without disturbing people. All I want to do is to be able to sit on my porch and enjoy the Sunday paper.
I'm not trying to "bash" Westcreek... we bought a home here with the intentions of staying. It's been devastating to find after eight months of living here, that the neighborhood is not what we had hoped for and that we will take a hugs financial loss to get out. Nobody buys a home assuming that will happen.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:04 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Red face Agreed!

missmypfc, Oh! I so totally agree with you about the dumping of animals thing!!! Ya wanna hear something really aggrivating? When we lived out in the country, somebody dumped a dog near our house (had a rope tied around it's neck, with thorned sticks dragging from the rope). We nursed it back to health and let it hang around our place. But then one day it got into the goat pen and attacked one of my goats (which was an expensive milk goat). When you live on a semi-working farm, ya can't have dogs that attack livestock, so we went about trying to find the appropriate place to take the animal. Calls to every humane society, animal shelter, etc., etc. in Bexar and Atascosa county and the last place we were referred to was the county Sherriff's office. Wanna know what they said? "We have nothing to help you out with. I'd suggest DISPATCHING of the animal." Yeah! Told by the sherriff's office to shoot the dog!! (And no we didn't, we were able to find a home for him - in the city, away from livestock.) All this to say, dumping of animals occurs way too much! I've even heard people publicly admit to it! ugh! I just don't think that it's worse in Westcreek than it is in other neighborhoods that are on the borders of the city.

And, please keep trying to get involved. Go to the HOA meetings. Find out exactly what the HOA has jursidiction over and work to change the things that need help. If their answer is to call the sherriff, then the HOA probably doesn't have jursidiction over it. A quick way to find out would be to get your docs out and check. That way, if it is something they're supposed to be doing, you'll know. And truly, I'm not bashing you, I'm really just trying to help. You're right, nobody buys a home with the intention of leaving soon and taking a financial loss. But why not see if you can help things to improve?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:20 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,803 times
About seven months after we moved in we had our van broken into and the overhead dvd player was stolen. We were one of about eight houses that were hit in The Woods and Country Oaks. I thought the HOA would like to know about the rash of break ins so I called and left a message with them. I never got a call back which to me signified how much they cared about the individual homeowner. Sounds silly maybe but it was how I felt at the time.

I spoke to all my neighbors to let them know about the break in and apparently it wasn't as uncommon as I thought. It was then they told me it wasn't a good idea to leave the garage door open because people do drive around looking for exactly that situation. I may be just working in the back yard but I always close the door if I'm not out front. We as neighbors also look out for each other. There's been a time or two where we've forgot to close it and someone stopped by to let us know.

Earlier this year a lady two doors down from us had her car vandalized.

Since the original breakin I've installed motion sensor lights out front (back too) and have them set for dusk to dawn so there's always some illumination out front.

Dirt bikes - I love to ride too but have to agree that there's a time and a place. They used to ride quite a lot near the park. There is a road that goes down to the creek bed across from the park which is where I think they were offloading the bikes. I'd like to see that fenced/gated. If you can you might want to see how they are accessing the area behind your property and see if the property owner would be willing to restrict access. Definitely keep on calling the sheriff. I mentioned the riding at the park to one of the guys checking ID's at the park one time and they are definitely interested in catching them.

HOA - How about some good things? I like the events they have organized such as the yard sales, summer picnic, easter, and I think the upcoming Oktoberfest might be fun. The community center seems to be well utilized.

HOA - The other side - They don't make effective use of the web site or email to keep residents informed of what's going on in the community. How about publishing the agenda in advance for the monthly meetings?

Landscaping - I walk or run nearly every day and I can't do it without stepping aside/over, ducking, or going into the street because of everyone's overgrown plants. Just going down Military itself is bad. The amount of rain we've had this year shouldn't be used as an excuse. The bush at the NE corner of Saxonhill/Military has never been cut back from the sidewalk in the two years we've been here (there's a path worn in the grass from people walking around it). The area near the CPS "temporary equipment storage area" is an eyesore. Anyone notice how they've secured one of the rusted out green metal boxes there? Black electrical tape believe it or not.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:21 PM

77 posts, read 93,459 times
Goodmanm,
I agree with you... I love that there are always activities and classes going on. However, I would trade all of that for returned phone calls... that is what I was trying to get across to jules07. The Westcreek website is useless, too.
Yes, the dirtbike riders are coming in along the creek MOST of the time. Although, I noticed about seven yards down, the guy put a gate in his back fence and he is one of the ones doing this-- encouraging his kids to trespass on private property and use it as they please. I tried to talk to him nicely and he said things I can't write here. That's what you get for trying to be nice. People just don't care about their neighbors. And when you have the parents participating... well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
I think the landscaping in Westcreek as a whole, is very lame and frankly, boring. Even our entrance to Highpoint is ugly compared to some of the other subdivisions around the area. Well, you live and learn. We had three days to find a home and a realtor who really didn't want to do much work. Now, I know where I wish I was living and it will be years before we can make that happen. Lesson learned... rent for six months when you move to a new city.
Just another question for anyone... Who is responsible for mowing the weeds in the middle of the road up by the schools? They are now 8 ft tall. I believe it's past the Westcreek boundary lines, but someone has to be responsible to mow it.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:55 PM

797 posts, read 2,992,331 times
My struggles with the HOA are probably because it is my first time participating in a HOA. I am just not comfortable with getting "permission" to do every little thing. As a matter of fact I have avoided doing any exterior improvements in the front or rear of my house just because of the whole need for approval. I think this contributes to why the landscape in the area in general is pretty boring. It's hard enough to live in a "cookie cutter" neighborhood without making it worse by restricting individuality in landscaping and exterior paint colors.

I am a very social person and am prone to make small talk with just about everyone I meet. Sitting around the pools this summer was very enlightning. I heard on more than a few occasions complaints about:

1. The limited pool schedule and why was the community center pool closed and the sports park pool was left open when the new pool is better suited for children.

2. The intense scrutiny over every person using the pools, (eg. every person in your house over 12 must have ID card and must bring it with them to use the pool).

I would like to see an automated card key system at the gates for residents who are current on their dues and offering extended hours with a "swim at your own risk" and no life guard on duty.

I agree involvement is probably the key, however how much consideration my suggestions would get is doubtful. It seems to me they would respond better to a group of voices not just one.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:35 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Wow...I know that we bought a long time ago (1994) but at that time you were given the bi-laws for the HOA and actually had to sign that you agreed to abide by them...has that changed in all these years? I know what a pain it is to get these "improvements" written down and turned in, but in all these years we have never had one disapproved or a problem with them, it was just a matter of notifying them and ensuring that the "improvements" did not devalue our neighbors property.

I think if you will look at areas around town WITHOUT active HOA's you can see the reason HOA's are a good thing....my darling mother lives in Live Oak and there is a yahoo near her that has EVERY yard ornament EVER MADE (and then a few that were not even MEANT to be yard ornaments) taking up his entire front yard...even has a "suit of armor" guarding his front porch....and you think YOU will have resale issues...trust me, this guy is NOT helping anyones property values with his "work of art"!

As far as Westcreek resale values, I believe that they have been very good...so I would not worry too much unless you let your yard go and your home maintenance is not kept up...than there will be issues wherever you are trying to sell.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:41 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmypfc View Post
Yes, the dirtbike riders are coming in along the creek MOST of the time. Although, I noticed about seven yards down, the guy put a gate in his back fence and he is one of the ones doing this-- encouraging his kids to trespass on private property and use it as they please. I tried to talk to him nicely and he said things I can't write here. That's what you get for trying to be nice. People just don't care about their neighbors. And when you have the parents participating... well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
When you know it's them doing it, call the sheriff and turn them in! It would also be interesting to know whether they got approval from the HOA for the gate......

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
My struggles with the HOA are probably because it is my first time participating in a HOA. I am just not comfortable with getting "permission" to do every little thing. As a matter of fact I have avoided doing any exterior improvements in the front or rear of my house just because of the whole need for approval. I think this contributes to why the landscape in the area in general is pretty boring. It's hard enough to live in a "cookie cutter" neighborhood without making it worse by restricting individuality in landscaping and exterior paint colors.

I am a very social person and am prone to make small talk with just about everyone I meet. Sitting around the pools this summer was very enlightning. I heard on more than a few occasions complaints about:

1. The limited pool schedule and why was the community center pool closed and the sports park pool was left open when the new pool is better suited for children.

2. The intense scrutiny over every person using the pools, (eg. every person in your house over 12 must have ID card and must bring it with them to use the pool).

I would like to see an automated card key system at the gates for residents who are current on their dues and offering extended hours with a "swim at your own risk" and no life guard on duty.

I agree involvement is probably the key, however how much consideration my suggestions would get is doubtful. It seems to me they would respond better to a group of voices not just one.
You don't need any special permissions for landscaping, not sure about the paint colors. I think they would be pretty reasonable. I put in the paperwork for my deck and it was approved at the next review meeting. I think it took me about 5 min to fill out.

I do understand why the have the ID requirements. If they didn't we'd have people from the surrounding communities who don't have a pool showing up at our doorstep. There's no way they'd allow the swimming with no life guard on duty. Not only that but with a card swipe system we'd probably end up having the pool vandalized.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:30 PM

41 posts, read 53,096 times
I agree about the lack of street lights... I do not like how the subdivision is so dark. I also have to agree about the HOA and their lack of response to issues. We didn't get "permission" to do our landscaping... mulching, small bushes, limestone, etc. If they dared to complain, I would take them around to all the rental homes that are abandoned and look terrible with 3 ft high grass. What I did only enhanced the street as a whole. They should be thanking us for investing in the yard and neighborhood. Our landscaper told us he only gets permission in writing for really extensive jobs.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:22 PM

422 posts, read 1,450,736 times
A few months back, someone stole both my boys’ bikes from my garage or driveway. Before then, we usually didn't think twice about leaving the garage door open or not. I suspect it was someone driving through our neighborhood looking for such opportunities. Pretty much happens all over the city. Thief’s usually travel to where the merchandise can be located, which is usually not in their own neighborhoods. I was sad!

Other than that, pretty uneventful.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:53 AM

173 posts, read 617,459 times
We have been in WC for about a year and a half now and we have been happy overall. I guess we are really lucky to have great neighbors and when I go walking/jogging around most folks I encounter seem friendly enough. However, I have been noticing more and more lazy yard care! That REALLY bothers me since nice yards/upkept homes make such a strong impression on folks coming into the neighborhood. Some residents who have lived here a while have told me that there IS a slow and steady decline happening in overall appearance of the neighborhood.

I agree that as homeowners we need to be involved w/ the HOA but I also feel that the dues we pay help to ENSURE they are doing their job enforcing the HOA rules. It seems like the HOA has lost it's "bite".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio