Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 06:40 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,984,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornandraisedSA View Post
I'd love to learn what our members do for a living - names of companies or other specifics aren't necessary. Maybe this:
1.What do you do? I am a retired USAF intelligence officer now working as a goverment contractor

2. Are you happy doing it? It pays the bills, but I wouldn't use the term 'happy' to describe it.

3. If not, what would you want to do? Something outdoors, or be a cop.

4. Are you formally trained/educated in your field? We attend a lot of training, much like I did when I was in the military; but a majority of it ends up not being used in our day-to-day jobs. Sometimes I think it is simply resume fodder. I have an undergrad degree in Geography and a MS in Management Info Systems, and I am working on a second masters in Strategic Intelligence. Was going to work on a doctorate, but was talked out of it by a bud who has one. He said that unless I wanted teach at the university level, or seek an educational administration position, it really isn't worth the time, effort and cost to get a doctorate. I have to agree, and as such I decided to pursue a second graduate degree.

I have great respect for teachers and believe that although we could never pay them enough for what they do, we could always pay them more. I also agree with Kinky Friedman that we need to let teachers have more say in the overall educational system than they currently have. I would love to teach, especially at the elementary school level; but my current job is much more lucrative and we have gotten used to the standard of living it provides. Maybe one day when I have stashed away enough money to get my kids through college and pay off the house I can finally do something I like instead of something that pays well...

Finally, I think we need a geocaching thread in the main S.A. forum. I have always been interested in that hobby, and have a Garmin Nuvi 350 which should be capable enough to find the caches. Not that I have a lot of spare time, but it could be a fun family activity and I always try to find time for those. Just this past Saturday we hiked up to Comanche Tower simply because we went right by there on our way home from New Braunfels.

Cheers! M2

Old 12-03-2007, 06:50 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,984,233 times
Quote:
"What is Geocaching?

Essentially, using multi-million dollar technology to search for tupperware in the woods."
Best explanation I have ever heard! hahaha

Cheers! M2

Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 AM

732 posts, read 3,552,880 times
1.What do you do?
Currently, I'm a Stay-at-home-mom. In my "former" life, I was an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher at a university up in Canada. (My husband and I are both from Regina,SK Canada-if you watch "Corner Gas" you'll know where that is.)

2. Are you happy doing it?
Yes, I love being able to be home with my two little girls. I do, however, miss the camraderie and diversity of teaching international students. For now, however, I am savoring every moment of my daughters' "firsts".

3. If not, what would you want to do?
When the kids start school (we should have a greencard by then....) I plan to re-enter the workforce in some capacity but don't quite know whether it will be in my former field or in something else completely. The world is my oyster!.....well, at least I hope it will be.....

4. Are you formally trained/educated in your field?
I have a B. Ed. and did everything to complete my Masters in Education but defend my thesis.... I may go back to school to do that someday....

That pretty much sums it up!

Old 12-03-2007, 08:18 AM

545 posts, read 2,283,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
OK, I'll start. This was in a thread a long time ago, so I guess I could go dig it up, but I don't recall it being specifically about this topic: Geocaching. I am looking to get into this as a hobby, and for some outdoor exercise. I've already signed up on geocaching.com, so that I can search for local geocaches. There is also a ton of info about the various GPS trackers out there. That's where my questions come in. There's so many out there! At Wallyworld today, I looked in the electronics dept. and saw a Tomtom for $148, regularly $248, but the kid working that dept sent me to Sporting Goods when I told him what I wanted it for. Over there they had a handheld Garmin (? I think?) and it looked entirely suitable. If anyone is into this, could you DM me with any info you think I'd find pertinent? Muggles can ignore!

This should be an interesting thread! Great idea, weather nerd!
Stick with the Garmin unless you're going to use it for directions in the car as well. The little Garmin handheld is perfect for tromping through the woods. My impression is that the Tom Tom's and the like are good for finding addresses...not sure how easy they are to use when you're trying to find a specific lat/long, but I've never used one, so I can't speak intelligently about them.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 AM

545 posts, read 2,283,631 times
1.What do you do? Educational technology (district level, staff development, co-teaching, idea guy)

2. Are you happy doing it? yes, but I miss working with kids sometimes

3. If not, what would you want to do? open an Internet cafe/coffee house in a Mexican beach town somewhere

4. Are you formally trained/educated in your field? BS (appropriately enough) in Elementary Ed, MA in Ed Tech

Old 12-03-2007, 02:03 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,976 times
Quote:
I'd love to learn what our members do for a living - names of companies or other specifics aren't necessary. Maybe this:

1.What do you do?

Stock Broker

Yes, Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to be in this field.

Only other thing is win the Lottery.

Yes, although in non-traditional methods. I have all my licenses.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:57 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,450,912 times
1. Nurse

2. Yes, that is why I am still doing it!

3. Cruise Agent

4. Yes, Nursing Degree Not interested in more formal educations at this point of my life, but would LOVE to take cooking classes any and everywhere. One of my FAVORITE things are the cooking classes at Central Market!

Sapphire...I love your byline too...have NO idea what movie you guys are talking about, but it is cute!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:46 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
It's from the upcoming "Alvin and the Chipmunks" movie, which looks to be extremely funny, even considering I was never a fan before. The trailers are hilarious. (to me, of course)

Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,275 times
Quote:

1.What do you do?
Torn between Engineering and Meteorology Majors
Quote:
Of course, anyone willing to give up sleep and free time has to love there field.
Quote:
Entrepreneur
Quote:
In the process..

It's gonna get cold tonight y'all, remember Pipes, Pets, & Plants

After that... enjoy nice warm weather for the next several days.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:31 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,386,345 times
The TomTom does give the lat/long, so you could use it as a handheld, BUT the battery life is only about two hours..

speaking of Canada, this show is beyond funny.. Chilly Beach (http://www.chillybeach.com/chillynew/root.html - broken link)

and I'm a defense contractor in the IT field that has pretty much trained myself on how to do everything. I do have formal training and am enrolled in school now, but mostly I know what I know because I wanted to know it..

Definitely not happy where I am though and looking to move to South Dakota in hopefully near future. I want cold and I want a lot less people, but don't want North Dakota, so that's how I cam up with South Dakota..
Hopefully I can find something up there and would also like to get into online teaching. I think the idea of working and never leaving home would be SO sweet.. not to mention it would totally drive my kids crazy if I could make enough money for a comfortable living and never have to leave home. I think I can do it with my retirement pay, the soon to come increase in disability pay, and an online teaching job..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio