Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:31 AM

734 posts, read 3,017,048 times

Advertisements

Inked in SA-picture-001.jpg

It's not the greatest, but I like it. It needs retouching, and I was told they'd do it for free! But I'd have to go back to Maui It was done at Skin Deep in Lahaina. It's on my lower back.

Now you know why I'm Turtle Mom! I also swam with sea turtles for the first time in Maui!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 08:39 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,402,807 times
That's pretty cool and I've never seen anything like it. It's always interesting hearing the stories behind some of them, but so far none of mine really have a story except the one I got covered up. The story behind that was to never get something done that will tie you to one thing without really thinking about it first. yours could probably have more waves added to the sides and that combined with a some additional color would give it new life. They also have UV reactive ink now and I'm going to try that next time. I'm going to start by adding some to the eyeball and see how that works out.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
that chest tat is awesome. I would like to get one, but havent gotten the nerve yet. I think I will by next year. I'd like to get a tat of the rock band KISS. I've been a fan since the age of 8. so I know i wouldn't regret it.
I won't lie and say it won't hurt, but the pain goes away pretty quick. The pain of the needles eventually wears out after a couple hours and the pain afterwards is akin to a sun burn, severity depends on where you get it. Soft flesh is going to hurt bad, tough skin that's normally in contact with other things won't hurt as much.
Portraits are very popular right now and some of them are almost scary with their realism. The July 2008 issue of Tattoo Flash has a special section just on portraits and that will give you a good idea of how good they can get.
BTW, the guy that did mine has a couple portraits on his page and his talent for free handing is amazing.. marcpp (http://www.absolutetat2.com/pages/marcpp.htm - broken link)

Old 05-24-2008, 07:34 PM

80 posts, read 227,848 times
I have several tattoos, and will absolutely get one or two more. I also made the mistake of getting one at an unripe age.(18) I was young and wanted one, so I went into a shop and picked one off of the wall of cookie cutter images. It's a nice butterfly, and I've added my older son's name to it to both make the tattoo less "generic" and make it more special to me. My other one is quite large - tribal art on my lower back (OUCH) and I'm much happier with that one because it was hand drawn. I told my kids that I would never stop them from expressing themselves with tattoos, I just want them to wait until they're older so they get something that's meaningful and DRAWN by an artist, rather than choose from the "fast food menu" like I did the first time around. (I hope I don't offend anyone - this is just my insignificant opinion!)

Old 05-24-2008, 07:41 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,045,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJack View Post
I have several tattoos, and will absolutely get one or two more. I also made the mistake of getting one at an unripe age.(18) I was young and wanted one, so I went into a shop and picked one off of the wall of cookie cutter images. It's a nice butterfly, and I've added my older son's name to it to both make the tattoo less "generic" and make it more special to me. My other one is quite large - tribal art on my lower back (OUCH) and I'm much happier with that one because it was hand drawn. I told my kids that I would never stop them from expressing themselves with tattoos, I just want them to wait until they're older so they get something that's meaningful and DRAWN by an artist, rather than choose from the "fast food menu" like I did the first time around. (I hope I don't offend anyone - this is just my insignificant opinion!)
If they're offended, they should leave the thread.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:15 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,426,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I won't lie and say it won't hurt, but the pain goes away pretty quick. The pain of the needles eventually wears out after a couple hours and the pain afterwards is akin to a sun burn, severity depends on where you get it. Soft flesh is going to hurt bad, tough skin that's normally in contact with other things won't hurt as much.
Portraits are very popular right now and some of them are almost scary with their realism. The July 2008 issue of Tattoo Flash has a special section just on portraits and that will give you a good idea of how good they can get.
BTW, the guy that did mine has a couple portraits on his page and his talent for free handing is amazing.. marcpp (http://www.absolutetat2.com/pages/marcpp.htm - broken link)
That's some great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
Attachment 20271

It's not the greatest, but I like it. It needs retouching, and I was told they'd do it for free! But I'd have to go back to Maui It was done at Skin Deep in Lahaina. It's on my lower back.

Now you know why I'm Turtle Mom! I also swam with sea turtles for the first time in Maui!
That's a really cool tat - simple, but obviously full of meaning for the bearer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
that chest tat is awesome. I would like to get one, but havent gotten the nerve yet. I think I will by next year. I'd like to get a tat of the rock band KISS. I've been a fan since the age of 8. so I know i wouldn't regret it.
I saw one of the KISS 'faces' - just the black eye paint - I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

My wife says I can't put anything on my chest. She's borderline about my shoulders.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:32 PM

898 posts, read 2,896,958 times
should get something like this? its kinda small though isnt it?..LOL

Old 05-25-2008, 11:09 AM

That is sweet looking, but I don't even want to imagine the pain all that fill caused.. I remember wondering WTF the artist was doing when he was coloring in my black bands; it seemed like he was just going over and over and over all in the same place..

that's the price you pay for beauty though

as far as not making a mistake, that's definitely something the poster should get through to the kids. My first was when I was 19 or 20 and was a spur of the moment thing. My second one came about 22 years later, so I had plenty of time to think about it.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:57 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,426,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
That is sweet looking, but I don't even want to imagine the pain all that fill caused.. I remember wondering WTF the artist was doing when he was coloring in my black bands; it seemed like he was just going over and over and over all in the same place..

that's the price you pay for beauty though
Next time you go in, ask them to show you the needle arrangement. Then you'll see why it takes so long to color in! I had a guy show me before we got started. It doesn't take that long really to fill in (so to speak) and a skilled artist will be good at it...

I'm going to have to visit your friend Mark soon!

Old 05-25-2008, 04:46 PM

he definitely has skillz, but he is also a perfectionist and I think that's why the fill took so long. When it comes to tattoo's I'm down with Machiavelli and the end result is all that really matters. I wanted to get one next weekend for my birthday, but Mark is going out of town for a family thing, so I'll just have to wait one more week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio