Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:38 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times

Advertisements

Some of us have been discussing tattoos in the OT section and I thought I'd bring it out more in the open in the hope that others can share more with us. I got my first tattoo (mistake) when I was young and dumb and had just joined the Navy. It was of course a Navy related one and I have regretted it for almost 22 years to the point of I would never wear a sleeveless shirt or allow anyone to see it.
I guess that soured me on the idea of tattoos for decades, but then I attended Slinging Ink 2008 at the Freeman Colliseum this year with some coworkers and was seriously bitten by the bug. I got a new one on my other arm a month or so ago and finally got my old one covered up yesterday. My only disappointment with the cover up was the artwork I wanted would not work due to its amount of detail and wrong shape for covering up. The artist I've used took my second choice and free handed it to fit over the other one and I'm seriously impressed with his results.
I don't know if we can mention specific shops here, but I think it would be a great idea to share our experiences with others and maybe get some more people bitten by the ink bug.. I already have an idea for my next one and it's going to be the design I originally wanted for the cover up, but on the other arm. My latest one is so powerful it's making the first one seem pretty small and weak, so hopefully the next one will balance them out some more.
These were both done by Mark @ the Absolute Tattoo located behind Ingram Park Mall. I would highly recommend him to anyone.

Here's my first one. I need to do it over without a flash..
Inked in SA-img_0092.jpg

and here's the latest and definitely the greatest so far..
Inked in SA-img_0104smaller.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,421,762 times
Alright, let's try again! I tried replying to this earlier today but I think they were working on the forum...

I have 5 total so far, 2 from Little Rock and 3 here. I've gone to Backbone and Dandyland here, and was impressed with both. The guy I went to at Backbone left sometime ago (Mig) so I tried Dandyland out. No problems at either place!

I'll get some pics up ASAP!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 AM

11 posts, read 9,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Some of us have been discussing tattoos in the OT section and I thought I'd bring it out more in the open in the hope that others can share more with us. I got my first tattoo (mistake) when I was young and dumb and had just joined the Navy. It was of course a Navy related one and I have regretted it for almost 22 years to the point of I would never wear a sleeveless shirt or allow anyone to see it.
I guess that soured me on the idea of tattoos for decades, but then I attended Slinging Ink 2008 at the Freeman Colliseum this year with some coworkers and was seriously bitten by the bug. I got a new one on my other arm a month or so ago and finally got my old one covered up yesterday. My only disappointment with the cover up was the artwork I wanted would not work due to its amount of detail and wrong shape for covering up. The artist I've used took my second choice and free handed it to fit over the other one and I'm seriously impressed with his results.
I don't know if we can mention specific shops here, but I think it would be a great idea to share our experiences with others and maybe get some more people bitten by the ink bug.. I already have an idea for my next one and it's going to be the design I originally wanted for the cover up, but on the other arm. My latest one is so powerful it's making the first one seem pretty small and weak, so hopefully the next one will balance them out some more.
These were both done by Mark @ the Absolute Tattoo located behind Ingram Park Mall. I would highly recommend him to anyone.

Attachment 18756

Attachment 18755
Having never had a tatoo...I'm curious how long it takes to have something like that done. Very intricate...looks like hours of work.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,177 times
I am ready to get another also. I have been wondering about the good places in town so this is great info for me! Thanks.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:59 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I have a tattoo of the sun and moon emerging together. It's a small and colorful one right above my left breast. I got it done over by Ingram Park Mall.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post

Attachment 18756

Attachment 18755
that newest one looks pretty dang impressive, mr rd.......

Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
that newest one looks pretty dang impressive, mr rd.......
I agree, that eye looks very real.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:25 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
It took a little over 3 hours to complete and was pretty painful. For some reason my left arm hurts a lot more than my right for everything and I never use it for blood tests. I am really impressed with the results though, especially since it was all free hand. I'm going back after it heals to get some UV ink put in the eye and that should freak some people out if I go in a Spencers or a club
Hopefully people post some pictures. I really like seeing what people get and especially hearing the stories behind some of them. Mine are purely based on the looks and seeing just how nice it can look. I wish I could get my arms totally covered, but unfortunately that restricts your future job opportunities..

Old 04-28-2008, 01:29 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
i got mine at dandyland --- i went with lorraine --- she was awesome to work with --- very gentle, it actually did not hurt that much at all, much less than i expected --- my tattoo represents my 1st daughter --- she was born on the 1st day of spring (hence the flower) and her personality if very much like a butterfly, she just floats around to her own timing, not having a care in the world and not worrying one bit about what others think of her...

i am fixing to go back and get my 2nd that represents our 2nd daughter --- it will be a dragonfly, which very much represents her personality --- she never sits still, it always on the move, talks like she has jabberjaws...she makes me tired just watching her...

my third will represent our 3rd child, my son --- he is a PISTOL!!! --- so i am going to get a little revolver tattoo

i plan on going back to dandyland for these other tats as well...

anyway, here is mine...

Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Hey mrstxcop, my daughter went to her too!!!! And I've asked for a gift certificate to and appointment with Laraine for Mudders Day! She's great with color! Apparently, she's just plain great, 'cause she has a pretty long waiting list. Here's what my daughter got, I'll post mine after/if I get it!
Attached Thumbnails
Inked in SA-photo-40.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio