Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 08:52 PM

325 posts, read 205,305 times

Advertisements

If this route does well I don't see why a direct to London wouldn't be a possibility. Paris seems more like a stretch. It seems like AUS is biting off more than they can chew when it comes to LHR, so who knows, maybe SAT can nab one of those routes.

It still has a way to go, but SA as a whole doesn't get enough credit IMO. This city has come FAR in the past 10-15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 10:16 PM

1,038 posts, read 877,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
If this route does well I don't see why a direct to London wouldn't be a possibility. Paris seems more like a stretch. It seems like AUS is biting off more than they can chew when it comes to LHR, so who knows, maybe SAT can nab one of those routes.

It still has a way to go, but SA as a whole doesn't get enough credit IMO. This city has come FAR in the past 10-15 years.
San Antonio is woefully behind. They never saw the forest for the trees when they should have and are now steamrolled by the other big three Texas cities.

But, I digress...

The airliner term you're looking for is nonstop, not direct.

Would love to see LHR/LGW and CDG, but no legacy airlines are going to run thst route out of a city that's just been called one of the poorest for its size. Carriers need to see dollar signs, which is precisely why AA pulled their nonstops to JFK. The customer just wasn't there.

Old 09-23-2023, 12:16 AM

325 posts, read 205,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
San Antonio is woefully behind. They never saw the forest for the trees when they should have and are now steamrolled by the other big three Texas cities.

But, I digress...

The airliner term you're looking for is nonstop, not direct.

Would love to see LHR/LGW and CDG, but no legacy airlines are going to run thst route out of a city that's just been called one of the poorest for its size. Carriers need to see dollar signs, which is precisely why AA pulled their nonstops to JFK. The customer just wasn't there.
Didn't Delta just add a JFK flight? The JetBlue JFK route is pretty new too. Maybe a Gatwick flight on a different carrier could happen, idk. I think Austin had a direct there a while ago and lost it. If the numbers are there maybe a BA flight to LHR is feasible, but AUS being so close adds a level of complication most cities don't have. I do agree that whatever the airport/city shot callers were doing 15-20 years ago set the city back. They should have been putting this energy into the airport back when AT&T was still around.

I've always seen SA as a tale of 2 cities in a lot of ways. They're building a 40k sqft Lamborghini dealership out by Fair Oaks (which absolutely stomps the puny one in Austin), Porsche just built a massive dealership on I-10, LV and Gucci standalones at La Cantera are a couple years old at most, new developments with giant houses going up left and right on the N/NW side, etc. There's obviously a market here for higher end things despite how it looks on paper. Miami is poor on paper too but that doesn't tell the full picture.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:35 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,051,562 times
Quote:
Didn't Delta just add a JFK flight? The JetBlue JFK route is pretty new too. Maybe a Gatwick flight on a different carrier could happen, idk. I think Austin had a direct there a while ago and lost it. If the numbers are there maybe a BA flight to LHR is feasible, but AUS being so close adds a level of complication most cities don't have. I do agree that whatever the airport/city shot callers were doing 15-20 years ago set the city back. They should have been putting this energy into the airport back when AT&T was still around.

I've always seen SA as a tale of 2 cities in a lot of ways. They're building a 40k sqft Lamborghini dealership out by Fair Oaks (which absolutely stomps the puny one in Austin), Porsche just built a massive dealership on I-10, LV and Gucci standalones at La Cantera are a couple years old at most, new developments with giant houses going up left and right on the N/NW side, etc. There's obviously a market here for higher end things despite how it looks on paper. Miami is poor on paper too but that doesn't tell the full picture.
It still baffles me that SA can "support" a huge Lamborghini & Porsche dealership....so there is hope. Maybe it has something to do with our close proximity to the Mexican states of Coahuila & Nuevo León which are known to have a lot of wealthy people.

Old 09-23-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:

DL did add JFK. That was a plus for DL flyers.

JB is about to discontinue SAT-JFK, as their numbers dropped dramatically when the partnership with AA was dissolved a couple of months back.

The Lambo dealership is centered squarely at getting Mex National business (and they will). It's not really for locals, considering the bubble who can afford them here is very, very small.

Porsche needed more service bays, so that was inevitable. Principle took forever to make that decision (10+ years). Also taken into consideration that Porsche's most popular model is also their cheapest: The Macan. You can get into one for as low as $57k. Since debuting in 2015, it's allowed a whole other contingent of drivers to afford a Porsche. Dealerships are slammed.

As for luxury goods shopping, we have nothing compared to Dallas (North Park and HPV) and Houston. La Cantera is a few decent stores, surrounded by low-end. They attract someone new (like Scotch & Soda), but they end up closing pretty soon thereafter. San Antonio simply doesn't yet have the constant capital to keep these brands alive and doing well.

LV will always attract people. I hate saying this, but look at who goes into their store. It's not the well-heeled. It's the people who are going into mass credit card debt to have that status symbol, plastic-coated canvas bag.

Bottom line, San Antonio is nowhere near where it should be and there's no real answer to how we get there from here. You can't just magically attract high paying salaried jobs into a city that used to a low hourly wage.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:04 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,665,220 times
hey now, the poors gotta live somewhere. This country has enough unaffordable metros as it is. Sometimes good enough IS good enough.

/stirpot

Jest aside, I've driven to IAH for my ocean crossing needs for over 12 years now. Heck, I used to do it when I was stuck in Del Rio, and that was double the drive. The convenience of a 30 minute drive is just not an inflection point when it comes to a once a year 1200-2000 dollar ocean-crossing city pair. For the Florida Man/Mickey Mouse stuff/ domestic tourism stuff sure, SAT suffices.

Old 09-24-2023, 12:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,739 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
It still baffles me that SA can "support" a huge Lamborghini & Porsche dealership....so there is hope. Maybe it has something to do with our close proximity to the Mexican states of Coahuila & Nuevo León which are known to have a lot of wealthy people.
Those car customers don't seem to be flying 'commercial'.

I'm sure they MUST travel private charter (for various reasons).

Only Frankfurt makes sense from SAT to fill the seats to western Europe (due to military population)

I doubt SAT could fill a LHR flight

Maybe SAT could pick up a Guam or South Korea regular commercial flight.

Old 09-24-2023, 07:07 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Those car customers don't seem to be flying 'commercial'.

I'm sure they MUST travel private charter (for various reasons).

Only Frankfurt makes sense from SAT to fill the seats to western Europe (due to military population)

I doubt SAT could fill a LHR flight

Maybe SAT could pick up a Guam or South Korea regular commercial flight.
With SAT's two main air carrier runways at 8500', I don't think Guam or South Korea nonstop service is possible. London is certainly a possibility, though.

One of those two runways is slated to be extended out to 10,000', which will facilitate nonstop service to more intercontinental destinations. But, there still would have to be sufficient demand to make such flights economically viable. The failure of Air Canada service between San Antonio and Toronto just a few years ago still weighs on my mind. They couldn't fill those small Embraer jets, and pulled out when the subsidy ran out.

Old 09-24-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Those carI'm sure they MUST travel private charter (for various reasons).
These aren't all PJ customers.

With leases, a lot of folks can get into a $150k+ vehicle.

Flying private is a whole other level of having money.

Old 09-24-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The failure of Air Canada service between San Antonio and Toronto just a few years ago still weighs on my mind. They couldn't fill those small Embraer jets, and pulled out when the subsidy ran out.
This right here. 100%.

SAT can offer as many incentives as they want, but once they run out, if the locals aren't taking the flights, the routes will evaporate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio