Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 08:41 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times

Advertisements

Never done it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 03:17 PM

325 posts, read 204,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Not sure how much paddling you do, but if SA had a scene like the Austin area there would be zero wet suits and even less pfds.
I'm pretty sure you can do it now (at least in the Southtown area) but it's definitely not as accessible/cheap as it is in Austin. Don't need a wetsuit either. It would be cool to have a similar water culture here but idk how possible it is. The Colorado seems a little bit cleaner than the SA river (at least around downtown). That sandbar thing they have going in Austin is kinda cool too.

I think they Greyhound station should go on the West side over by the VIA terminal. Honestly that huge garage on St Marys should go too lol. Both spots are prime real estate.

Old 09-29-2023, 03:48 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
What happens if you fall in? Is there a doctor on site? I can’t imagine paddle boarding on the river. I get that it’s probably hard to fall in but still.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
What happens if you fall in? Is there a doctor on site? I can’t imagine paddle boarding on the river. I get that it’s probably hard to fall in but still.
The water down in that area probably isn't thaaaaaat bad. I mean, Steve-O did a backflip off the bridge by Rivercenter at one point and he was fine.

Apparently Town Lake water is pretty gross and I fell off paddle boarding there one time lol.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:49 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
I'm pretty sure you can do it now (at least in the Southtown area) but it's definitely not as accessible/cheap as it is in Austin. Don't need a wetsuit either. It would be cool to have a similar water culture here but idk how possible it is. The Colorado seems a little bit cleaner than the SA river (at least around downtown). That sandbar thing they have going in Austin is kinda cool too.

I think they Greyhound station should go on the West side over by the VIA terminal. Honestly that huge garage on St Marys should go too lol. Both spots are prime real estate.
You can paddle in Southtown. It’s like a1.3 mile total distance compared to a ten mile out and bike at town lake. The paddle board culture is so new that it may take a bit minute to hit SA. It’s not a “keep San Antonio lane” comment by any means, it just would be nice to have an option near the city compared to the long drive. I feel like there could be a space on the south side to do it and it could even bring a great vibe down there. Get a paddle board outfitter, coffee shop, brewery, and you’d snag a lot of the active local folks. The mission reach trail is already there so you the runners and cyclists already.

As far as the bus thing, I don’t like the idea of the west side because it can already get congested. As a social worker, I’ve seen many services (Catholic charities and Travis park church) be able to support the “undesirables” (as someone else called them) from that location. With it being central it’s easy to get in and out of

Quote:
The water down in that area probably isn't thaaaaaat bad. I mean, Steve-O did a backflip off the bridge by Rivercenter at one point and he was fine.

Apparently Town Lake water is pretty gross and I fell off paddle boarding there one time lol.
Town lake is gross looking, but the growth is natural and actually good for the water. https://www.austintexas.gov/article/...lady-bird-lake

I just started paddling last summer and thankfully haven’t fallen in. I’ve taken it slowly in standing up and managing the psi of my board. It takes practice but if you get things going it’s one of the nicest outdoorsy things to do in Austin. Hit town lake around noon and you can get lots of good paddling in. I’d like to try out Boerne lake, but it’s such a trek, even if I’m staying in town.

Old 09-30-2023, 12:58 PM

1,037 posts, read 875,808 times
Downtown needs better hotels.

Not just low-grade Hyatt and Hilton, but Ritz and Four Seasons.

We attract tourists... Why not attract a higher caliber of tourist.

Old 10-01-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
Downtown needs better hotels.

Not just low-grade Hyatt and Hilton, but Ritz and Four Seasons.

We attract tourists... Why not attract a higher caliber of tourist.
Agree. Would love to see Ritz/FS or something like an EDITION or W.

There's been stuff floating around about a Dream hotel for a while and then the W has been in limbo for years. The old Wyndham is converting to an Intercontinental but that's more on the Grand Hyatt/Westin tier I guess.

The Thompson and Kimpton that's almost done are good adds to downtown though.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Agree. Would love to see Ritz/FS or something like an EDITION or W.

There's been stuff floating around about a Dream hotel for a while and then the W has been in limbo for years. The old Wyndham is converting to an Intercontinental but that's more on the Grand Hyatt/Westin tier I guess.

The Thompson and Kimpton that's almost done are good adds to downtown though.

Thompson is kinda small for what it is and it's neither luxurious or has good service.

Kimpton is a step in the right direction.

Everyone raves about Emma at Pearl, but I've always thought it was terribly overrated (and ridiculously overpriced for what you get).

Old 10-01-2023, 10:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
More livable and more true culture (as in more culture neighborhood districts, thus making it more attractive to higher end visitors and thus more conventions / high end employers.

SA has a very unique opportunity to differentiate itself from the other major TX cities and reap huge benefits for the city and it's community (and economy).

There are plenty of desirable places within a couple hours, and SA could exploit their proximity to enhance the desirability of SA. More diversified arts / cultural presentations . immersion experiences... something totally different than Houston, Austin or DFW.

Take what's good and enhance it (genuinely, not cheaply)

Old 10-02-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
More livable and more true culture (as in more culture neighborhood districts, thus making it more attractive to higher end visitors and thus more conventions / high end employers.

SA has a very unique opportunity to differentiate itself from the other major TX cities and reap huge benefits for the city and it's community (and economy).

There are plenty of desirable places within a couple hours, and SA could exploit their proximity to enhance the desirability of SA. More diversified arts / cultural presentations . immersion experiences... something totally different than Houston, Austin or DFW.

Take what's good and enhance it (genuinely, not cheaply)

A lot of great points here.

San Antonio can't seem to consistently support the arts, as we've already lost a symphony and one of the oldest community theaters in America can currently survive (San Pedro Playhouse).

The Spurs, however, they'll spend money on. Go figure.

True multiculturalism is a problem here. We lost out on true diversity like Houston and Dallas have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio