Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 08:06 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotte View Post
Thanks, but: These sites are not available for your stay. Please change your dates or site details to try again.
Gosh. Sorry man. I had no idea the event was going to be so popular. Nothing special about Kerrville either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2023, 09:53 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You're not going to find anywhere in the eclipse totality path that will be quiet. As others have said, there will be hundreds/thousands of people in town to view the eclipse. Fredericksburg is expecting its population to quadruple on eclipse day, and Kerrville will likely be the same.

This is really the only answer. Judging by the last total eclipse, there wasn't a single space that was quiet.

People flew in from all over the world and rented cars thinking they would get out to the "middle of nowhere" (think Montana, Idaho, Oregon), only to find themselves surrounded by hundreds of people. To be near a major city with an airport? Forget about it.

Old 10-26-2023, 09:56 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Yeah. You’re late to the party. I’ve been hearing that places in the area for totality have been booked since the summer.

Yep, we booked our timeshare for Fairfield Bay AK exactly 13 months out from the eclipse. We considered Kerrville initially because we could stay in SA, but they were already having eclipse projections a year and half ago, so we decided on a much quieter area and we'll rent a boat and watch it from the lake.

We also booked a whole week because traffic to the path of totality will be ridiculous, so we will arrive there a few days ahead, plus flights and rental car availability closer to the date was also an issue. We booked everything way way out.

Old 10-26-2023, 01:00 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Yeah. You’re late to the party. I’ve been hearing that places in the area for totality have been booked since the summer.
I saw a few cabins available through Fredericksburg Escapes for $2000 per night.

Old 10-26-2023, 02:26 PM

100 posts, read 93,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You're not going to find anywhere in the eclipse totality path that will be quiet.
My bad. I used sloppy language. By the "quiet" I meant not having a CVS being looted right behind me.

Old 10-26-2023, 04:40 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Quote:
My bad. I used sloppy language. By the "quiet" I meant not having a CVS being looted right behind me.
That won’t happen in Kerrville. It’s a safe place, and many residents are retirees. But there are going to be a LOT of people there that day!

Old 10-26-2023, 06:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,693 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Thanks, but: These sites are not available for your stay. Please change your dates or site details to try again.
You don't need a place to camp, correct?
Quote:
I booked two nights at San Antonio's Hilton Double Tree

I have room for hundreds more (camping), currently only hosting (8).
Plan to have (4) empty rental houses on eclipse date, and sold out and GONE from Texas on the 9th.

On to the next chapter.

Last Total eclipse, farmer friends in Oregon did 3 night minimum stay $100/ night. Free food, BBQ, and entertainment. They paid off their farm in 3 days. Something 40 yrs of farming could never have done.

Mother nature is powerful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio