Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 10:52 PM

100 posts, read 93,713 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a public park or an open area away from traffic and hood to set up a tripod and a lawn chair for a couple of hours to photograph the solar eclipse next April?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 08:34 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
There is a picnic area on 10 west bound, about 8-10 miles west of Kerrville that sits high on a hill above the hwy. Wide open sky and a great place to watch the sun go down. I go there to take sunset pics and to watch the stars. There is another one 6 miles East of Kerrville, but it has too much traffic and light. Probably see you there.

Old 10-25-2023, 09:54 AM

501 posts, read 776,764 times
Wondering how crazy the outbound traffic on IH-10 will be that morning. And, in case you're thinking of spending the night before in Fredericksburg or Kerrville (in the totality centerline with about 2 minutes more darkness than NW SA), the following article (should be paywall free) might be of interest:
From the article- "Motel 6 is the only hotel still accepting reservations in Kerrville, the premier viewing destination, where NASA will host a watch party with scientist- speakers, live music and a front-row seat for four minutes and 25 seconds of total darkness. Admission to the festival is free, but one of the six remaining rooms at the Motel 6 will set you back $900."

https://www.expressnews.com/news/art...harecount=MQ==

Old 10-25-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
Wondering how crazy the outbound traffic on IH-10 will be that morning. And, in case you're thinking of spending the night before in Fredericksburg or Kerrville (in the totality centerline with about 2 minutes more darkness than NW SA), the following article (should be paywall free) might be of interest:
From the article- "Motel 6 is the only hotel still accepting reservations in Kerrville, the premier viewing destination, where NASA will host a watch party with scientist- speakers, live music and a front-row seat for four minutes and 25 seconds of total darkness. Admission to the festival is free, but one of the six remaining rooms at the Motel 6 will set you back $900."

I booked two nights at San Antonio's Hilton Double Tree for something like a $100/night for 4/7-9. The booking was rather uneventful. That doesn't sound too bad, or is there a catch?

Old 10-25-2023, 10:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grotte View Post
I booked two nights at San Antonio's Hilton Double Tree ...is there a catch?
From my travels in Western USA on August 21, 2017
Traffic;.. (Just in case)
  • Leave / do your commute before dawn
  • Buy gas the day before, and keep over 1/2 tank in case you're stuck in traffic.
  • Take along a picnic lunch and plenty of water (and a variety of clothing)
  • plan to stay where you are, or nearby until dark thirty.

I-10 (and parks) will probably be pretty busy, plan a couple alternate routes on back roads (without 4 way stop signs).

There will be an event at 'The Empty Cross' (hill / park near I-10). A very nice place for pictures (Especially sunrise). (but likely crowded during eclipse moment itself) https://thecomingkingsculptureprayer...e-empty-cross/

Here is a State Park on the south end of Kerrville, you can hike up a hill near water towers and get a good vista.

https://www.stateparks.com/kerrville..._in_texas.html

I'll probable just do a rural road near my cabin.

The "Ring-of-Fire' was superb while sitting on the porch of the cabin.

There will be another NASA event at the https://kerrvilletx.gov/829/Louise-Hays-Park
There is a parking Garage in downtown Kerrville with a nice rooftop view, but I think a hill overlooking the city would be best (to watch the lights come on), hopefully from a distance, so as you can also enjoy the Dark Sky. and if in the countryside... the roosters crowing.

Consider areas near Hunt and Ingram (closer to center of path, 10 min to Kerrville), plenty of empty SPACE! (avoiding Stonehenge) https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ram_Texas.html

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-25-2023 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-25-2023, 01:38 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
There is a KOA in Kerrville if you have a camper or tent. Drive by it all the time on the way to my sister's house in Kerrville. It is not in town and still kinda secluded.

Old 10-25-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
There is a KOA in Kerrville if you have a camper or tent. Drive by it all the time on the way to my sister's house in Kerrville. It is not in town and still kinda secluded.
Thanks, but: These sites are not available for your stay. Please change your dates or site details to try again.

Old 10-25-2023, 03:03 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
You're not going to find anywhere in the eclipse totality path that will be quiet. As others have said, there will be hundreds/thousands of people in town to view the eclipse. Fredericksburg is expecting its population to quadruple on eclipse day, and Kerrville will likely be the same.

Remember that Texas does not have a lot of public land. Opening a gate and driving onto a private ranch is considered trespassing, and you can legally be arrested.

Old 10-25-2023, 03:54 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Go to luckenbach!

Old 10-25-2023, 09:06 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grotte View Post
Thanks, but: These sites are not available for your stay. Please change your dates or site details to try again.
Yeah. You’re late to the party. I’ve been hearing that places in the area for totality have been booked since the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio