Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 09:34 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,536 times

Advertisements

They want everyone to switch to electric cars, but maybe we need to build up the infastructure first. My dad grew up in Milwaukee. Recall him talking about how you could take the interurban all the way down to Gary, Indiana. There were trains. You could either to Chicago. They ned to fix the roads and other things first due to all the traffice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 10:31 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
..a very fine city, but it is not Washington D.C., Chicago, NYC, Boston, etc. It doesn't strike me as having the population (or more particularly the population density) or a major, centralized (downtown) business hub to justify light rail.
One of San Antonio's major business sectors is tourism and conventions, and in a sense the airport - downtown are the business hubs for this important part of the economy.

More comparable cities to SA that have had light rail for years would be Denver, San Diego and Salt Lake City. Several stretches of the San Diego trolley run along existing thoroughfares and are elevated to avoid taking up lanes on existing streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The 12-mile line will run from the area around the San Antonio International Airport, along San Pedro Avenue, through downtown and south to Steves Avenue near Mission Concepcion.
?
That sounds a little longer than 12 miles

Old 04-09-2024, 05:29 PM

20 posts, read 10,962 times
Default Green Line

I don't believe VIA can build this project without major disruption to traffic and to all the neighborhoods along this line. Hardly anyone rides VIA now. It will be another boondoggle that will be built for the tourists to have a ride from the airport to downtown. Locals will be few in number who ride it. It will cause major traffic jams becuse of the elimination of vehicular lanes. I'm sure the head of VIA will have to resign.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:04 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Maybe students and business people will use it rather than hire a ride.
San Pedro isn't particularly busy street, so I don't think there will be any traffic havoc.
Many other US cities have this system, so why not San Antonio?
More info, map and rendering:

https://sanantonioreport.org/via-adv...e-airport-bus/

https://communityimpact.com/san-anto...n-san-antonio/

Last edited by elnina; 04-11-2024 at 02:19 AM..

Old 04-11-2024, 05:01 AM

3,257 posts, read 1,410,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badback7127 View Post
I don't believe VIA can build this project without major disruption to traffic and to all the neighborhoods along this line. Hardly anyone rides VIA now. It will be another boondoggle that will be built for the tourists to have a ride from the airport to downtown. Locals will be few in number who ride it. It will cause major traffic jams becuse of the elimination of vehicular lanes. I'm sure the head of VIA will have to resign.
I can’t comment on if this effort will be a major disruption to traffic (even if it is though, I’m not certain that would be a reason to kill the project….it’s not terribly unusual for major public works projects to be temporarily challenging to those using the roads). I also don’t know for certain if the proposed Green Line route maximizes the potential to reduce congestion in the roadway by maximizing ridership relative to other route options. I also don’t know if VIA is certain to bungle the implementation. All of the issues you mentioned are certainly legitimate points to consider, however those points would be the same regardless of the transportation type, e.g. dedicated bus lanes, light rail, etc.

My thought is, that if one is going to expand public transit, and if this they want to focus on the airport to the downtown corridor, then using dedicated bus lanes seems like the most cost effective solution. As I said before, I’d love to see light rail, but as mentioned in the article posted by Elnina, it’s way more expensive than a dedicated bus lane solution.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:06 AM

69 posts, read 95,791 times
I think a dedicated bus line is a fine, relatively low-cost compromise. The amount of ridership it gets will probably be a strong indicator of whether there is sufficient demand for a light rail. I am skeptical, but who knows. I do not think the downtown work/office demand really supports it, but an airport to downtown line for tourists/conventioners may have some legs.

Last edited by hschulz3; 04-11-2024 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-11-2024, 11:01 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschulz3 View Post
I think a dedicated bus line is a fine, relatively low-cost compromise. The amount of ridership it gets will probably be a strong indicator of whether there is sufficient demand for a light rail. I am skeptical, but who knows. I do not think the downtown work/office demand really supports it, but an airport to downtown line for tourists/conventioners may have some legs.
If covid never happened, the downtown/office demand probably would have been much stronger. A lot of people still continue to WFH.

WFH culture is stronger than ever now as a lot of people like to "work" at home these days.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:58 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe students and business people will use it rather than hire a ride.
San Pedro isn't particularly busy street, so I don't think there will be any traffic havoc.
[/url]
Looks like:

North of DTSA- Runs along San Pedro Ave.
Thru DTSA - Runs along St Mary's St.
South of DTSA- Runs along Roosevelt Ave. and stops somewhere near Mission San Jose.

Originally I was assuming it went all the way to Brooks Transit Center but that doesn't look to be the case. I still don't get how the flyer touts 11.7 miles if it just seems like more. The Spanish flyer mistakenly says 1.7 miles. Guess Via forgot to proof read it.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:39 PM

3,257 posts, read 1,410,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post

WFH culture is stronger than ever now as a lot of people like to "work" at home these days.
I gather you don’t approve.

Old 04-12-2024, 06:09 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I gather you don’t approve.
I didn't have much of an opinion on it until some people at my job, including myself have been experiencing issues dealing with problems that arise from people that work from home both at the company I work for and contractors or clients.

The main issues are that emails not being responded to quickly enough or in some cases not at all. Not always available to take a phone call. Sometimes they will say they are "not at home at the moment"...wtf

We just recently had to fix an issue caused by a WFH employee that will probably cost us over million once fixed. The root cause was that she ignored a chain of emails addressed to her specifically over a course of two months so there was some missed opportunities to fix the problem early on with minimal impact to the company. It boggles my mind she is still employed and still a WFH employee at that but at least she was removed from the project so we don't have to wait for her input or decisions.

Last edited by Azure110; 04-12-2024 at 06:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio