Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:06 PM

288 posts, read 927,244 times

Advertisements

I was at Vance Jackson and Callaghan and I saw it too! The flash was north of me and slightly east. I thought I was going crazy until I read this. I know exactly what heat lightening is. I have grown up in Texas and it happens all over the place. That was not heat lightening. I am not a skeptical person, but my mind did wander when I saw this. I even stood around for a bit wondering if I had just seen a bright flash in the sky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 07:34 AM

667 posts, read 1,568,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshin View Post
People, please. No UFO crap. My high school science teacher always proclaimed, that there is no such thing as heat lighting - kind of a misnomer. I guess I need to research again. That being said, I saw the flashes through my windows, down here off Austin Hwy.
WHAT IS HEAT LIGHTNING?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:44 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,379,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
I was at Vance Jackson and Callaghan and I saw it too! The flash was north of me and slightly east. I thought I was going crazy until I read this. I know exactly what heat lightening is. I have grown up in Texas and it happens all over the place. That was not heat lightening. I am not a skeptical person, but my mind did wander when I saw this. I even stood around for a bit wondering if I had just seen a bright flash in the sky.
OK...now four of us admit to having seen it. SAFD....it sounds like from your position and where the rest of us saw it, it may have been in the far North Central area....like maybe Stone Oak....or even Hollywood Park?

I think news of this got lost in the election coverage. Honestly, I am not a mystery chaser and don't tend to over react to oddities, but on a "normal" news day, this would have gotten more attention.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:55 AM

905 posts, read 2,962,235 times
I'm wondering if it could have been a searchlight that malfunctioned out at one of the new businesses off 281/Evans Rd. I still think it was some kind of explosion, but I don't know what businesses are out there.

I guess we'll never know...

Old 11-05-2008, 09:30 AM

944 posts, read 3,065,161 times
I'm surprised that nobody has suggested that it was "The Second Coming."

Old 11-05-2008, 09:42 AM

152 posts, read 412,875 times
I can vouch for the power outage.

I was outside near my vehicle when the electricity in the entire apartment complex went out (near 281 and Bitters) about 8:00 that night - the same time all of you saw the flash. It flickered 2-3 times and then went out. It was out for about 30 minutes, and then came back on and stayed on with no other interruptions. No storms were in the area as I could see the stars pretty clearly overhead.

I didn't notice anything strange in the sky, but then again I had 30 ft. tall buildings surrounding me. I figured it was a transformer, but who knows.

One thing I did find interesting is that while all of the power was out my tv mysteriously came on for 5 minutes, and a bunch of lines and shapes came across the screen. There was also a weird noise playing from the speakers. Sounded like a coded message of some sorts. I then went to go outside, and as I opened the sliding door I swear I saw a creature, about 3-4 ft. tall I reckon, leaping off of the deck and over the roof. Weird.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:39 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,337,784 times
Well I was there when the transformer blew at Our Lady of the Lake during there fire and yes, it could be that because there was a bright flash but it was acompanied with a large boom!!! Then all the lights everywhere went out. It was a sight to see.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has suggested that it was "The Second Coming."
We were saving that for you.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyd78 View Post
I can vouch for the power outage.

I was outside near my vehicle when the electricity in the entire apartment complex went out (near 281 and Bitters) about 8:00 that night - the same time all of you saw the flash. It flickered 2-3 times and then went out. It was out for about 30 minutes, and then came back on and stayed on with no other interruptions. No storms were in the area as I could see the stars pretty clearly overhead.

I didn't notice anything strange in the sky, but then again I had 30 ft. tall buildings surrounding me. I figured it was a transformer, but who knows.

One thing I did find interesting is that while all of the power was out my tv mysteriously came on for 5 minutes, and a bunch of lines and shapes came across the screen. There was also a weird noise playing from the speakers. Sounded like a coded message of some sorts. I then went to go outside, and as I opened the sliding door I swear I saw a creature, about 3-4 ft. tall I reckon, leaping off of the deck and over the roof. Weird.
Guyd.....are you sure you didn't fall asleep watching "Signs"..... ???

Old 11-06-2008, 06:52 AM

152 posts, read 412,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Guyd.....are you sure you didn't fall asleep watching "Signs"..... ???

Could have, but I doubt it. However, I do remember watching that movie a few years back, but I don't remember how it ended. I'll have to add it to my movie queue, and watch it again.

I still have a feeling that it was just a transformer. Makes more sense. I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio