Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,336,439 times

Advertisements

Is it true that for long tunnels, they place police officers with proper ventilation to assist with people who may get stranded so they can avoid gas poisoning? Sorry for such an obscure question. There is money on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,829,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
Is it true that for long tunnels, they place police officers with proper ventilation to assist with people who may get stranded so they can avoid gas poisoning? Sorry for such an obscure question. There is money on this.

Well, the overall ventilation for tunnels in NY is amazing. I've seen a few documentaries on that very subject Having been through my share of tunnels (from NY/NJ) and having friends that are Port Authority cops (they run the bridges and tunnels) ..I can tell you this. There are indeed police officers stationed inside the tunnels. There is a small rail on one side of the tunnel and a small rail car runs on it. This is the transport for the officers. The officers have a small office off to the side about half way through.
I don't know if this answers your question thoroughly...but it is what it is.
One can survive perfectly fine for a long time in the tunnel due to the extraordinary ventilation.
So yes, police with proper ventilation are stationed in the tunnels...but not specifically for the reason that you stated.
Supposedly, the air is replaced in the major tunnels every 90 seconds. I'll try and find you a link.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM

153 posts, read 521,362 times
I don't believe that is true. I used to travel the Chesapeake Bay tunnel, and my understanding is that there are ventilation buildings on several man-made islands that prevent carbon monoxide buildup in the tunnel.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:17 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,829,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGSA View Post
I don't believe that is true. I used to travel the Chesapeake Bay tunnel, and my understanding is that there are ventilation buildings on several man-made islands that prevent carbon monoxide buildup in the tunnel.
That's correct....there are buildings land side to ventilate the tunnels in NYC as well.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:02 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,895,927 times
There is a ventilation system that changes the air every 90 seconds. The cops in the tunnels are there without masks or ventilation systems. They stand and watch the traffic and report on accidents or heavy traffic and help control the flow of traffic. There are also cameras watching the traffic flow also. Think about it, the cops in the tunnels do not wear breathing apperatus, so it must be OK. I lived in NYC and NJ, so I've been through the tunnels lots of times. I've also done the Cheasapeak Bay Bridge-Tunnel, same system for those tunnels.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:35 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,336,439 times
Damn, just lost 20 bucks. I said they were there for that purpose. Them being there for other reasons won't fly with my wife.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:41 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,895,927 times
If you pout enough, she may take you out for dinner with the $20.00. At least the dollar menu at Wendy's or Mickey D's. Be sure to say "your right, dear".

Old 12-02-2008, 04:52 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,404,874 times
they have them in Norfolk/Virginia Beach as well. They also park cars at the entrance and exit just in case. The one that connects Norfolk with Portsmouth doesn't have any ventilation, or if it does, it seriously sucked. Then again that was in the 80's. I still have vivid memories of my eyes tearing up bad and breathing what tasted like raw gasoline any time I was stuck in it because of an accident.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:07 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,335,863 times
I lived in Virgina Beach, lots of tunnels there under the water ways. Some were long, and I never saw any police officers inside of them.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:11 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,404,874 times
you never saw them walking along that sidewalk thing on the side with the railing? It was usually tunnel workers, but I occasionally saw cops. It was most common in the Portmouth tunnel by downtown Norfolk and the other one on that street that went through ODU. It's been over 20 years since I've been there, so I'm sure it's changed quite a bit. I would imagine OSHA would probably frown on workers being exposed to all those fumes these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio