Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 09:22 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times

Advertisements

I was at that Jimi Hendrix concert in 1970! And also Janis Joplin in that same time period at the MA.

Haha....and Tiny Tim! Tiptoe trough the tulips.....

......I have NO idea why we ended up at that concert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 09:50 PM

139 posts, read 504,354 times
Default I leave for a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
and the saga continues...
I leave for a month and all hell breaks loose. Glad I found Part 2. Good to be back home.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,324 times
I thought Janis was in the arena but it didn't matter I didn't think she was really there anymore. I just remember her spinning round and round and that band playing too loud. I remember Jimi walking on stage and leaving exactly an hour later. He did the same thing spinning round and round playing too loud and then leaving. Just fulfilling there contracts. It was way different when I saw him at Municipal Auditorium a year or two earlier

Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I thought Janis was in the arena but it didn't matter I didn't think she was really there anymore.
I remember her at the Arena also. I was up by the stage and saw her kick some guy from the audience in the head, when he tried to pass her a whiskey bottle!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:35 PM

Wow I was up there right next to Snookie Flowers amp. I didn't think my ears would ever recover..huh ? Huh?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:52 PM

I used to go all the way back and up to the top of the Arena. I use to love the way the bands sounded back there. I have never to this day ever heard a recording of a live performance that sounded like that. I like Jimmy Pages's decription the best. The lightning the thunder and the hammer of the gods. If he never really said that he should have!

Old 04-22-2009, 12:08 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,084 times
Quote:
I used to go all the way back and up to the top of the Arena. I use to love the way the bands sounded back there. I have never to this day ever heard a recording of a live performance that sounded like that. I like Jimmy Pages's decription the best. The lightning the thunder and the hammer of the gods. If he never really said that he should have!
LOL!!! He said that, alright. I was there!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
Quote:
I thought Janis was in the arena but it didn't matter I didn't think she was really there anymore. I just remember her spinning round and round and that band playing too loud. I remember Jimi walking on stage and leaving exactly an hour later. He did the same thing spinning round and round playing too loud and then leaving. Just fulfilling there contracts. It was way different when I saw him at Municipal Auditorium a year or two earlier
I think you're right. I remember entering from the back left side from the stage and that is definitely not the MA. My older bro and his girlfriend took me to see Janis to introduce me to being 'cool'. Not sure I was paying attention to anything other than trying to pretend I was as old as he was. (I think I was 13? It's funny...but Jimi and Janis are such a blur to me, it's almost as if we saw them at the same concert. Did Jimi do SA before or after Janis? Anyone remember?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:26 AM

237 posts, read 851,087 times
Quote:
It was way different when I saw him at Municipal Auditorium a year or two earlier
Thank you for mentioning Hendrix at Municipal Auditorium Dwangle ol' buddy as that's a lovely thot in itself. I really love that old place since they bussed us school kids down there from junior highs around town after lunch at 1 pm on Fridays to hear the symphony orchestra rehearse by playing parts of their Saturday night program. That was my earliest exposure to large scale live music performance and definitely gave me a taste for such events be they classical, rock & roll, R & B or whatever. The symphony program lasted maybe an hour & a half so we also got out of classes early because we didn't have to ride the bus back to school. So, we could hit a double feature monster mash at the Texas, or a big-time A movie at the Aztec or Majestic. Or just wander around downtown to visit Alamo Hobby Shop on Broadway, navigate the Riverwalk years before the endless tourist traps took over or do another favorite thing by just standing on a corner to people watch.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 PM

I had forgotten about trips to hear the symphony. I can't remember how often we went but it was a memorable occasion everytime. I remember seeing a biblical one based on Noah and flood. It had spectacular lighting effects and was professionally done and left a lasting impression on me. We also got to tour the missions, usually toward the end of the school year. Another special memory. I think I would enjoy it just as much now. I probably went to every rock concert they ever had at the Municiple Auditorium. Me and a buddy of mine would ride the bus downtown to the Texas Theatre every saturday for the monster movies. I remember Godzilla Vs. The Thing, The Green Slime (everybody got a free sample!)and Journey to the End of the Universe. Guess what was at the end of the Universe? EARTH!! What a twist! Never thought of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio