Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:17 AM

523 posts, read 494,756 times

Advertisements

SA Major/Minor League Sports History.....

6 Major Sports Clubs
NBA Spurs
WNBA Silver Stars
CFL Texans*
NASL Thunder*
NFL Saints**
NBA Rockets**

8 Minor League teams

AA Missions
AHL Rampage
WFL Wings*
AFL Force*
USFL Gunslingers*
WLAF Riders*
CHL Iguanas*
IHL Dragons*

Misc
Team Rodeo-Texas Rowells*
Team Tennis-Racquets*
SFL Matadors*
ContinentalFL-Toros*

*Folded
**Part Time

Last edited by DGarcia879; 05-29-2007 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: Added extra team on list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 12:21 AM

531 posts, read 2,073,983 times
why does not san antonio have arena football?

Old 05-29-2007, 11:21 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
why does not san antonio have arena football?
We did for one year (1993, I think).

Old 05-30-2007, 12:17 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
SA won't get a team anytime soon, even with Benson's daughter as the owner.

So, what has been good for the Saints in the last year, off the field?
  • Superdome is more advanced, appealing, and in better shape than it has been in 30 years
  • Entire 2006 season sold out on season tickets
  • Entire 2007 season already sold out on season tickets, with a waiting list approaching 50,000
  • All suites sold out for the 2007 season, six months before it even begins
  • More money and support coming into the franchise than ever

All reasons why I don't see the Saints moving anywhere else. Tom Benson is happier than ever here, the franchise is playing in a stadium that is practically as good as new, every seat is sold out, every suite is sold out, every sponsorship deal is complete...everything is just going well for the Saints in NO, and IMO they won't be leaving anytime soon...period.

NOLA.com: Everything New Orleans

But don't tell that to anyone in San Antonio! I love how the San Antonio papers run articles with quotes from local "experts" saying things aren't going well for the Saints in New Orleans, and that business support is very low. However, you never see them running articles like this one, showing how businesses all over the city have stepped up to buy out all the suites in the Dome for the first time ever, or how more sponsorship deals than ever have been completed with local businesses. No no, they never run any of that interesting info.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:43 AM

Actually, the last article I read in E-N concerning the subject was talking about city leaders' decision to say "nevermind" to the Saints and NFL and allocate their time and resources to other projects.

So I guess all you insecure Saints fans can rest easy. . . for now

Old 05-30-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Actually, the last article I read in E-N concerning the subject was talking about city leaders' decision to say "nevermind" to the Saints and NFL and allocate their time and resources to other projects.

So I guess all you insecure Saints fans can rest easy. . . for now
SA has a better chance of getting the Jags from Jacksonville.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:47 AM

Fine with me, the more regional competition the better, that's why I'd love for OKC to get the Sonics. FL has too many football teams anyway (I'm including NCAA div. I teams as well).

Old 05-30-2007, 07:35 AM

The Jags are having problems with selling seats and suites. Also, corporate sponsorship (which San Antonio has a few companies that could sponsor its team).

Old 05-30-2007, 11:21 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,241,582 times
I could care less which team or how (expansion) SA gets a team, I justg want one here.

However, yes New Orleans is currently doing a good job with the Saints. But will that continue 3-4 years from now? Right now it's all about showing America New Orleans is fine (when it realistically isn't) and that the community can support their team.

But four seasons from now will that attitude still be there?

Old 05-30-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I could care less which team or how (expansion) SA gets a team, I justg want one here.

However, yes New Orleans is currently doing a good job with the Saints. But will that continue 3-4 years from now? Right now it's all about showing America New Orleans is fine (when it realistically isn't) and that the community can support their team.

But four seasons from now will that attitude still be there?
Sure will. New Orleans isn't all the way back, but the population base is close to where it was. Income sure is rising, too, and actually a lot of the lower income people have left New Orleans for better lives in cities like Houston and Atlanta.

Jacksonville is in a shaky situation now with their team, so if SA fixes up the Alamodome, and has strong customer support, no doubt you could land that team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio