Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:19 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Sure will. New Orleans isn't all the way back, but the population base is close to where it was. Income sure is rising, too, and actually a lot of the lower income people have left New Orleans for better lives in cities like Houston and Atlanta.
To correct you, the income isn't rising, the income is the same but with lesser low income residents the average is increasing but that is to be expected with what happened to new Orleans.

Quote:
Jacksonville is in a shaky situation now with their team, so if SA fixes up the Alamodome, and has strong customer support, no doubt you could land that team.
We need a new stadium, preferabily in the downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 12:30 PM

554 posts, read 2,306,283 times
Just curious...what makes you say that we need a new stadium, rather than rennovating the Alamodome?

I don't have an opinion either way, so I'm curious to hear your reasoning.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:46 PM

If we want any real chance at landing a NFL team a new stadium would be crucial.

The Alamodome is too outdated for anything other than a temperary home for any team while a new stadium is constructed.

There are many reasons for this, one being that new NFL owner will move their team without a new stadium being a for sure thing. A new stadium equals more revenue for the owner.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:44 PM

159 posts, read 784,696 times
The Alamodome is very out of date be NFL standards, its not even close. If you have ever been to Reliant Stadium you will know what I mean. I do think the city of SA could very well support a NFL team, if cities like NO, Buffalo, Jacksonville and Tampa Bay can. Heres the problem, San Antonio has to build a up to par stadium first. We would have to get rid of the dome and hold all dome events in the new stadium. Fixing the dome up is not an option, it was built with football field specs but not for a NFL football team. We will never be in the hunt without a stadium, that OLD dome wont cut it. So we will have to ask the tax payers for a new stadium, for a team we might not get. Thats the only option.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:52 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
The reason that I have heard quoted is that the TV market is too small, not the population. There are vast areas of sparsely populated land to the south, east, and west that would not provide viewership, so while SA is a large metropolitan area, its' overall market is not as large as other equivalent (or slightly smaller) cities.

Also, saw an article on CNNSI, I think, mentioning that Mark Cuban was trying to get an investment group to start a competing football league. The initial proposal is for 8 teams, and SA was listed as a probably location. Of course, that is years (and millions) of dollars away, but that might be interesting.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:58 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I'd like to see SA get an NFL franchise (probably won't be for another 10 years, if ever), and Austin get an MLB team and relocate the RR Express to NB. Lastly, UTSA needs to get it's football prog. up and running.

If .

Austin will never get an MLB team for a couple good reasons. First, Austin is not really enamored with having pro sports in their city because of their love of the Longhorns in all sports. Maybe the NBA could work there because the Longhorns basketball team does not receive that much support but you have the Spurs to the south anyway.

Another reason is that even combined with San Antonio, the area is still too small to have an MLB team. You better have an owner who can be willing to pay to get players and build them through the farm system. Because chances are, if you're not a historic or big market franchise, you will find it hard to win. The only reason the Rangers aren't winning is because of their idiotic owner. But Tampa Bay had aspirations of grouping Orlando in it's metro to support baseball and they nearly contracted the team. So the grouping thing may not work with a city that's 80 miles apart from each other.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:26 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
I have also heard that Austin is Astro-land, too.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:49 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Yep. But to be fair. Austin and San Antonio is Cowboy-land but I think they can support an NFL team. Well San Antonio, anyway. Because Austin loves the Longhorns tooooooooo much and for good reason. Hook Em'

Old 05-30-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The initial proposal is for 8 teams, and SA was listed as a probably location. Of course, that is years (and millions) of dollars away, but that might be interesting.
It's actually two other people starting the league one being attached to Google, it will be called the UFL, United Football League and start play in 2008. SA is one of the 8 considered for a team. The first three announced for a team are LA, Las Vegas, and Mexico City.

If I had to guess I'd say the five remaining teams would go to:

San Antonio
Toronto
Orlando
Portland
San Jose

Old 05-30-2007, 05:43 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Mark Cuban is an idiot. This thing is going to be just like the XFL. There already isn't enough talent to go across the 32 teams in the NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio