Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 04:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,990,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Funny that I saw this thread.

I never really considered moving to the Bay Area, because I like SoCal more, BUT, I saw a job listing here in Phoenix, for a appliance delivery&installer job in Hayward, they will pay relocation and wage is $1,400/week with benefits. So I applied and will see what happens. It would be a 40% bump in pay for me (make $1k/week now here in Phoenix). Plus it would get me to California.

And I already live in an "improving" inner city neighborhood now in Phoenix, so Hayward would actually be a step up lol
40% is not enough actually, at least in my book. You might want 2x!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 04:58 PM

131,188 posts, read 12,268,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I would also make sure you will be paid by the hour, & not by the delivery, as traffic is a nightmare.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:58 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,694,719 times
Quote:
Don't need to see a 2x increase when rent will be my only real expense increase. Don't have kids, which is a big plus atm. Food won't be much more expensive, gas maybe 15% more, but I don't drive that much, so overall, other than rent, overall budget would be maybe 30% more than what it is now

Old 08-10-2017, 05:07 PM

197 posts, read 272,192 times
Quote:
Don't need to see a 2x increase when rent will be my only real expense increase. Don't have kids, which is a big plus atm. Food won't be much more expensive, gas maybe 15% more, but I don't drive that much, so overall, other than rent, overall budget would be maybe 30% more than what it is now
Our car insurance doubled going to
CA from AZ. I dropped State Farm and searched elsewhere.

Everything is more and more difficult in CA. It makes you appreciate how easy and good life is in Arizona.

I made $100k in California and it wasn't enough money, even in the far East Bay. But I have kids.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Cali income taxes are really high! Do the math to find your real take-home pay!

Old 08-10-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
Our car insurance doubled going to
CA from AZ. I dropped State Farm and searched elsewhere.

Everything is more and more difficult in CA. It makes you appreciate how easy and good life is in Arizona.

I made $100k in California and it wasn't enough money, even in the far East Bay. But I have kids.
I'm familiar with you, and you seem to want a much higher standard of living than me

Old 08-10-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Cali income taxes are really high! Do the math to find your real take-home pay!
AZ has state income tax as well, we aren't Nevada or Texas or Florida

Old 08-10-2017, 07:47 PM

173 posts, read 171,429 times
This thread reminds me of the AZ forums. Whenever someone comes on saying that they want to move to AZ, the answer by the other forum members is to stay where they are. Same is going on here.
What's good for one person might not be for another. I've met people in the Bay who are in their mid-40s, almost 50 and are OK renting that $2000 1 bedroom apartment forever because what's important to them is living in the Bay Area. I've also met people who have moved away from the Bay because to them, having a big house and having their money go further is what they value.
I say do it if you get the job. If it doesn't work out, then at least you tried and you could just move to Southern California. I know you don't like AZ and life is way too short to live somewhere you don't like. Besides, if California doesn't work out at all, there are other places to try out other than AZ.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
AZ has state income tax as well, we aren't Nevada or Texas or Florida
It's your life. I wouldn't want you to think you are getting a 40% raise to find out after taxes it is only 15% and tour expenses increase by 30%

Old 08-11-2017, 01:02 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,796,417 times
Quote:
Funny that I saw this thread.

I never really considered moving to the Bay Area, because I like SoCal more, BUT, I saw a job listing here in Phoenix, for a appliance delivery&installer job in Hayward, they will pay relocation and wage is $1,400/week with benefits. So I applied and will see what happens. It would be a 40% bump in pay for me (make $1k/week now here in Phoenix). Plus it would get me to California.

And I already live in an "improving" inner city neighborhood now in Phoenix, so Hayward would actually be a step up lol
I read posts like this and think "You naive fool,this will not end well."
The 40% increase in salary will not balance out the increase in income Tax and home prices being 6-7 times more expensive.
I don't think $67,000 a year is going to be a step up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland