Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,461 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm interested to move to Cupertino and have my eyes set on a house. Even though I have been doing my research, I am not too familiar with the Cupertino area. For all those that live in Cupertino or are familiar with the neighborhood could you give me your opinion on this house.

There aren't many houses for sale in Cupertino at the moment and this is one of the few. Do you think this house is worth it for the location, size, design and price or should I wait 6 months to see if any other houses come to the market?

[url]http://www.trulia.com/property/3029897969[url]

10380 Sterling Blvd Cupertino CA 95014

Last edited by 10380Sterling; 04-19-2015 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 08:56 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Pros:
-Nicely done house
-Great schools
-Safe neighborhood

Cons:
-Way, way overpriced (and will probably go $100k-200k above asking). Then again, its par for the course for the Silicon Valley
-Cupertino is not the most interesting community. Just suburban sprawl, albeit upscale. I would rather live somewhere lik Los Gatos
-Not much of a yard. You can tell they tore down a smaller house to build a big house on this lot

Old 04-19-2015, 08:58 PM

10 posts, read 17,587 times
What specifically are your reasons for moving to Cupertino? Schools, proximity to job, etc? Cupertino is incredibly overpriced at the moment (has been and will be for some time). There aren't many houses currently on the market because they don't stay on the market - many sell within a few days of listing.

Cupertino is quite large and while the city as a whole is desirable, there are pockets within the city which are better than others. Of course, this is all entirely subjective. Personally, I find this particular location undesirable. This particular area is a mix of old, poorly taken care of tract homes and Eichlers that are just waiting to be sold and demolished. Similar homes to what you shared are scattered in between on tiny lots. The proximity to Lawrence and the new Apple campus is a turn off for me. But, if you need the proximity to either of those then go for it.

If your main reason to be in Cupertino is the schools (assuming you have children given a house that large), I'd pay a bit more attention to which schools (elementary, middle and high schools) the house is zoned for.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:18 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10380Sterling View Post
Do you think this house is worth it for the location, size, design and price or should I wait 6 months to see if any other houses come to the market?
I'm going to guess you're the listing agent.

Did I win?

Old 04-20-2015, 02:25 PM

29 posts, read 62,972 times
Default Yes, you should wait

Quote:
Do you think this house is worth it for the location, size, design and price or should I wait 6 months to see if any other houses come to the market?

There's no doubt that the remodeling is great. I wish I have the time and motivation to do the same to our house. Other than that, I would not buy this property.

For one, the house is at a T intersection, and that is just plain not good in my book. I would not feel comfortable letting kids be in front of the house unsupervised, and backing out the car, but then it's just me.

Second, the house is too big for the lot size and you're sticking out living in a mac Mansion in an older & modest neighborhood. Not very aesthetic and not much of a community/neighboorhood feeling for a $2.6M house.

So, no, I would wait and see what else will come up.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:00 PM

327 posts, read 962,918 times
My thoughts is it's a nice home that is a total rebuild in the wrong neighborhood. Other homes on that street look rundown and from a completely different era. Plus you're already paying a premium for the land, so you're already buying into the overpriced community. Future gains are probably not as high than if you bought in a home that is in a still up and coming location like nearby Campbell. You can get a home that's more affordable there, also with good schools, and a better community vibe than this quiet little street. Speaking of quiet, you're overlooking Lawrence expressway. So I would expect it it to be not so quiet.

For 2.6 mil, you have a lot more options. Definitely worth looking around and waiting. For this much money, why Cupertino?

Old 04-20-2015, 05:01 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,685 times
As others have mentioned. Two major drawbacks:
1. End of T section. This is a concern for many people, and especially for future Asian buyers.
2. Too close to Lawrence Expwy.

But I guess there aren't many SFH houses this new in Cupertino, or nearby cities that fall into similar schools. It depends on what your priorities are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10380Sterling View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm interested to move to Cupertino and have my eyes set on a house. Even though I have been doing my research, I am not too familiar with the Cupertino area. For all those that live in Cupertino or are familiar with the neighborhood could you give me your opinion on this house.

There aren't many houses for sale in Cupertino at the moment and this is one of the few. Do you think this house is worth it for the location, size, design and price or should I wait 6 months to see if any other houses come to the market?

[url]http://www.trulia.com/property/3029897969[url]

Old 04-20-2015, 05:03 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,685 times
For so much money, if not Cupertino, what are the other options? In Palo Alto for this price you can only get a tiny rundown house with a small lot. The other neighborhoods probably do not have comparable schools (if that is a priority) or too far from work. But if it were me I would buy an older house that is in a quieter location that is not at the end of T section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsugrad03 View Post
My thoughts is it's a nice home that is a total rebuild in the wrong neighborhood. Other homes on that street look rundown and from a completely different era. Plus you're already paying a premium for the land, so you're already buying into the overpriced community. Future gains are probably not as high than if you bought in a home that is in a still up and coming location like nearby Campbell. You can get a home that's more affordable there, also with good schools, and a better community vibe than this quiet little street. Speaking of quiet, you're overlooking Lawrence expressway. So I would expect it it to be not so quiet.

For 2.6 mil, you have a lot more options. Definitely worth looking around and waiting. For this much money, why Cupertino?

Old 04-20-2015, 06:01 PM

327 posts, read 962,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
For so much money, if not Cupertino, what are the other options? In Palo Alto for this price you can only get a tiny rundown house with a small lot. The other neighborhoods probably do not have comparable schools (if that is a priority) or too far from work. But if it were me I would buy an older house that is in a quieter location that is not at the end of T section.
Pretty much anywhere else other than Palo Alto with great schools and a 15 mile radius from this home would do. There's plenty of excellent schools surrounding Cupertino that have less of a prestige premium on the dirt. New construction tends to NOt be in the most ideal locations anymore, so I would agree with you on buying an older home with a nice, quiet, and pleasant community feel to it and fix the home up good as new. Not everyone wants to delve into remodeling. But I personally find this home to be completely out of place. They should have kept the mid-century/ranch "whatever home" that existed there and tastefully remodeled it to fit the surrounding community instead of going for the teardown McMansion. For 2.6 Million, I would be far picker. Everyone has different tastes I suppose.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:02 PM

134 posts, read 255,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm going to guess you're the listing agent.

Did I win?
You are correct. He could be the listing agent. Who else will be willing to sink 2.6M in an unfamiliar area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose