Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:20 AM

8 posts, read 33,696 times

Advertisements

How long does it take to get to the beach/ocean from downtonwn San Jose???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 12,069 times
Default Beach drives

Hi,

Assuming regular traffic, downtown San Jose to the beach in Santa Cruz is about 45 mins to an hour. Weekend traffic in the summer is pretty heavy, so if you can leave before 10:00 a.m. it's about the same, after that, the traffice on Hwy. 880/17 backs up for miles and it's one looooong trip.

Take care,
Terry

Old 04-06-2007, 06:47 PM

26 posts, read 133,752 times
I am looking to move back to california from texas

need help with some information.
I used to live in san jose about 20 years ago, at the southwest corner of the I-280 and higway 17,near the Marijane Hamann park

It was a great nieghboorhood is it still a good nieghboorhood?

Old 04-12-2007, 07:52 PM

17 posts, read 172,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigirl78 View Post
I might find myself moving to San Jose due to a job. I don't know anything about the area. I currently live in the East Bay. For apartment hunting on Craigslist, the parts of SJ are organized into Downtown, North, South, East, and West. Are there any of these areas that are better than others, when apartment hunting? I am looking for modern apartment buildings with restaurants and shops nearby. Is the downtown area great to live in, or is it pretty shady?

Any help would be appreciated! Also, I will be working near the south border of San Jose. If I work there, and choose to live in a different part of San Jose, would there be tons of traffic getting there?

Thanks!

San Jose's a pretty safe city. It has just under a million people and only 26 homicides in 2005. thats very low compared to Oakland,Frisco,Fresno,Los Angeles. You don't have to worry about gangs cause in San Jose it's mostely Nortenos and surenos fighting over crap that started in the 1960's in prison with the Nuestra Familia and the Mexican Mafia. So if your hispanic and you wear a lot of Blue or Red then watch out. Nortenos wear red and Surenos wear blue.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:30 AM

3 posts, read 13,970 times
If you're going to the beach, check out Capitola Village... really cool place, but further away than Santa Cruz (maybe 60min-75min). Carmel and Aptos are other nice beach towns close to San Jose.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:17 PM

679 posts, read 2,838,594 times
I read with interest that some are telling you that South San Jose is full of a lot of older homes and advising that you stay west of Monterey. Where do these people live! I have lived in South San Jose for 27 years and it is beautiful and clean. One of the best areas in San Jose, which encompasses, Almaden, Blossom Hill, Santa Teresa, Bernal, Silver Leaf. Some very, very nice homes and subdivisions built close to the foothills. If you are going to work in South SJ, you can find beautiful housing in the area. IBM/Hitachi is in the process of tearing down to make room for more housing. Me...I'm moving to Texas. I love San Jose, but looking for simpler times and losing the rat race. Best to you.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,654 times
Yes. Thank you so much everyone. I am also looking at jobs at the San Jose Public Library and don't know a thing about the city. This was really helpful. I live in SF and will consider moving if I am offered a position.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 PM

170 posts, read 464,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potranco View Post
I am looking to move back to california from texas

need help with some information.
I used to live in san jose about 20 years ago, at the southwest corner of the I-280 and higway 17,near the Marijane Hamann park

It was a great nieghboorhood is it still a good nieghboorhood?
Hi potranco,
I grew up there. The last time I drove through it has held up pretty well. The residents have taken care of their houses. There are some streets that look nicer than others but overall. I noticed one of the tract homes on the west side of the park listed for $1mil. last year. Hope that helps.

Last edited by AlwaysLooking; 03-19-2008 at 11:43 PM..

Old 03-19-2008, 11:38 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,858,550 times
Technically San Jose has a tiny piece of saltwater waterfront on SF Bay. Then again, Alviso isn't what most people consider to be the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephaj View Post
How long does it take to get to the beach/ocean from downtonwn San Jose???

Old 05-25-2008, 05:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,492 times
I'm new in the USA (came in March this year), and in June I should move to (probably) San Jose. My wife & daughter will come in June, so now i look for apartment. Could someone say if there are some places/neighborhoods in San Jose where I shouldn't look for apartment - i mean in terms of safety / loudness etc. For me it doesn't matter, but i worry for my girls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose