Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 12:58 PM

6 posts, read 132,163 times

Advertisements

I might find myself moving to San Jose due to a job. I don't know anything about the area. I currently live in the East Bay. For apartment hunting on Craigslist, the parts of SJ are organized into Downtown, North, South, East, and West. Are there any of these areas that are better than others, when apartment hunting? I am looking for modern apartment buildings with restaurants and shops nearby. Is the downtown area great to live in, or is it pretty shady?

Any help would be appreciated! Also, I will be working near the south border of San Jose. If I work there, and choose to live in a different part of San Jose, would there be tons of traffic getting there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 02:17 PM

41 posts, read 282,059 times
Traffic in San Jose is not as bad as it is in the East Bay. It's actually pretty steady and there has been work in expanding Highway 87 and it should be completed by Spring next year. Sounds like you will be working in the Santa Teresa area of San Jose which is the most south you can get.

I would recommend not living anywhere in the East side of San Jose (due to the heavy influx of traffic and higher crime rates). If you like modern apartments, downtown San Jose would be a great place for you to live. They have been building new places to live and they continue to do so. Plus, it's a hop, skip and a throw away from shops, restaurants and clubs. San Jose is the 10th Largest U.S. city. It's the safest city in its population class as well.

Another area I would recommend would be the Santana Row area of San Jose, typically called West San Jose. South San Jose is pretty good too. I live in Japantown, which is located about 2 miles north of downtown San Jose and that's a great area to live too. Average renting costs for a 1 bedroom, modern apartment would be about $1400 a month.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:20 PM

Thank you so much! Another person just told me today about Santana Row, so I'll definately check it out.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:35 AM

20 posts, read 183,910 times
Willow Glenn is a nice area in SanJose. Older and up-itty, if you're into that.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:41 PM

Well, I'm in my very late 20's, so I'd like to avoid the whole SJSU crowd, and I know a lot of them get off-campus housing. What part of town is that in?

Old 12-14-2006, 07:42 PM

Most of the off-campus housing is located in the downtown area that surrounds SJSU campus. You can tell which houses they look like. They are those older, bigger houses with many rooms. I'm in my late 20's too. If you have any other questions you can email send me a private IM.

-Romeo

Old 12-19-2006, 07:40 AM

5 posts, read 80,580 times
Default re san jose area

what would you refer to as east san jose. can state any specific places that we should steer clear from. is the area around the sjsu a safe place to live in?

Old 12-20-2006, 12:32 PM

The area around SJSU is choppy. Obviously if you live around any major college, you will have your frat houses and cheap apartments. There are plenty of brand-new condos and apartments being built around SJSU though. Some of these places are very safe and very, very nice. San Jose I should mention is one of the safest cities in the US. This can be either a good thing (low crime) or bad thing (too many cops in the downtown area).

East San Jose would consist of areas around Eastridge Mall, Story Road, King Road, East Capitol Expressway...I hope this helps somewhat. The thing I really don't like about the area is the heavy, heavy traffic not just on the highway that goes through the area (highway 101), but also the heavy, heavy traffic off the highway through the commercial and residential areas. They can be very bad and beware of some drivers who just cut in front of you or don't let you turn into a lane. You should be an aggressive driver to get to where you want to go.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:44 AM

63 posts, read 365,341 times
Downtown: The area NW & NE of SJSU are a lot of off-campus housing. The area SE of SJSU is seedy. There are newer housing areas in the SW region which is putting you closer to the downtown area. Again, tho, it is touch and go as to bad versus good areas. Prices are high if you get into one of the good areas. The area is very hispanic.

North: This is close to the border of Milpitas and if you are working in South SJ then this would be a long commute for you. The area is very asian.

South: This is bordering Morgan Hill with fringes of Almaden. Prices are even lower. Area is mainly white with pockets. This was once one of the trashier areas of the city, but because of the rise in prices in the inner city areas, people have fled out this way and alot of the older housing is rolling over and being rebuilt.

East: Very Hispanic & Asian in the flatlands. Gangs, bad schools. But then you have the east hills on the outskirts and those are very high priced. Which doesn't really make sense to me because although you have a great view and a golf course, you have to drive through the ghettos to get to your million dollar home on the hill.

West: This is one of the better areas to be in. Of course, there are pockets of bad neighborhoods.

Be very weary of:

North & East SJ (White Rd., Quimby, Story Rd., Tully Rd., Capital Expwy., Alum Rock Ave., King, Mckee, Senter Rd., McLaughlin Ave., Monterey Hwy.)

Burbank area (Naglee, San Carlos, Park, Parkmoor)

Downtown (numbered streets 4th - 30th)

Anything listed as Near the Fairgrounds, The stadium, Kelly Park, Lake Cunningham, SCV Medical Center

I am looking for modern apartment buildings with restaurants and shops nearby.

The first thing that comes to mind is Santana Row. But that is expensive and noisy. Basically SF living where your apartment is over the shops/stores.

Also, I will be working near the south border of San Jose. If I work there, and choose to live in a different part of San Jose, would there be tons of traffic getting there?

Be more specific. What will be the closest intersection?

When you hear terms like North San Jose, South San Jose, those are humungous areas. No matter where you go, you will always have bad neighborhoods. Yes, even in Los Gatos & Cupertino. San Jose is the 8th most populated city in the U.S.. It takes up 178 sq miles and has 28 zip codes! You have to choose an "area" and then go drive around in that area and see what parts you like.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:36 AM

Thanks Klpeake for all this great info! My job is right off of the Bernal Rd exit (?) of 101, on Silicon Valley Blvd. I guess I'll just have to drive around that area to see what's happening over there in terms of housing, etc. I thought I would start with livelier areas first, though. I am starting to see how big San Jose really is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose