Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 10,979 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Colorado, Wyoming, Mexico City and in Chicago for most of my adult life. The things that I love about Chicago are: the diversity of people, great food, jazz, blues, great art and cultural opportunities. I do hope I find the same in Santa Fe. As you can see by my name, I am Hispanic. My family settled in Santa Fe in 1750 - I going home so to speak. I am an active, youngish, retired female. I plan to live in Eldorado alone. My question is - are the residents welcoming? I do receive the monthly newsletter and there are many activities available in the area however, the important thing is people contact. I do know several people there and at least 5 people that I have worked with are or have moved to the area. Another concern of mine is quality medical care. Although I am healthy, I am also older. Any suggestions regarding a reliable medical center in Santa Fe. (I have good med insurance). Lastly, any suggestions regarding a moving company? Thanks HMA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 01:46 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hm aragon View Post
I have lived in Colorado, Wyoming, Mexico City and in Chicago for most of my adult life. The things that I love about Chicago are: the diversity of people, great food, jazz, blues, great art and cultural opportunities. I do hope I find the same in Santa Fe. As you can see by my name, I am Hispanic. My family settled in Santa Fe in 1750 - I going home so to speak. I am an active, youngish, retired female. I plan to live in Eldorado alone. My question is - are the residents welcoming? I do receive the monthly newsletter and there are many activities available in the area however, the important thing is people contact. I do know several people there and at least 5 people that I have worked with are or have moved to the area. Another concern of mine is quality medical care. Although I am healthy, I am also older. Any suggestions regarding a reliable medical center in Santa Fe. (I have good med insurance). Lastly, any suggestions regarding a moving company? Thanks HMA
Hello!

After recently moving here (LC) al I can say is to check everything out well. You may want to visit these sites:

badmovers.org and,
movingscam.com

If you decide to move yourself, AAA members get a respectable discount with Hertz/Penske moving trucks.

Haven't heard anything one way or the other about Northern NM medical care. I have had good experiences with one medical clinic here in LC. Best thing is to ask people who you personally know and trust who live in the area for doctor recs.

~Cali-girl

Old 01-05-2007, 11:59 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Hi hm aragon!

I have been gone over the holidays and just saw your post.

I will be moving to Eldorado later this year ~ we are having a house built on a lot we own there. I don't know anyone in Eldorado, but am looking forward to this as a great adventure. I suspect with the many activites there, that Eldorado might be a good place to meet other people who are also "active, youngish and retired" like us.

I am already doing some research online looking for doctors, dentists, vet, etc. I also plan to ask my doctors here in Kansas if they can recommend anyone there.

Sounds like you will get to Eldorado before we do. Let me know how you like it. Maybe we will meet one day as neighbors!

Old 01-30-2007, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 7,315 times
Hi --
Eldorado is full of interesting, creative, brilliant people who are also very friendly, in my opinion. However, most are couples. Plus, it might be colder in the winter than you think - be sure to check that out! The snow still is covering our outside furniture and we weren't prepared for such wind chills. Personally, if I were single I'd be in the town of Santa Fe. With the one-acre minimums out here you might be lonely. Then again, you may feel it's worth it for the incredibly beautiful starry nights, howling coyotes, hopping jackrabbits, getting back to your family roots, and long walks alone. If you get involved in things I think you'll find people very welcoming. Good luck!! Nancy

Old 02-02-2007, 07:38 PM

271 posts, read 1,125,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
Hello!

After recently moving here (LC) al I can say is to check everything out well. You may want to visit these sites:

badmovers.org and,
movingscam.com

If you decide to move yourself, AAA members get a respectable discount with Hertz/Penske moving trucks.

Haven't heard anything one way or the other about Northern NM medical care. I have had good experiences with one medical clinic here in LC. Best thing is to ask people who you personally know and trust who live in the area for doctor recs.

~Cali-girl

Hello:
I will be retiring by the end of the year and will be moving to NM, somewhere around the Santa Fe area but I don't know exactly where. Tell me what is El Dorado?

Old 02-04-2007, 02:28 PM

101 posts, read 448,619 times
Hi, I've lived in El Dorado since 1997, although currently looking to move. My opinion on El Dorado is somewhat mixed. I think that El Dorado is a nice, kind of quiet place. For the most part everyone should be welcoming, although watch out for trust funders and Californians, but they're not that big of a problem, as there is are many other singles and family types who are friendly!

It's rather isolated out there, a lot of times you will not know who your neighbors are, however there are a lot of community events that occur every so often. Roads tend not to get plowed, as seen in last's month snowstorm that dropped a whopping(For NM anyways) two feet of snow.

But other than that, just sit back and relax in your new home and enjoy the beauty of nature!

Old 02-18-2007, 05:04 PM

51 posts, read 325,822 times
I too have been wondering about Eldorado. There is a beautiful one year rental that I am considering but will be there solo until the fall. I have been looking in Santa Fe too but the area of ED seems a lot more spacious.....can anyone comment on crime? (And is the coyote thing something to be nervous about?) Thx!! I appreciate your experiences.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:27 PM

101 posts, read 448,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecoach View Post
I too have been wondering about Eldorado. There is a beautiful one year rental that I am considering but will be there solo until the fall. I have been looking in Santa Fe too but the area of ED seems a lot more spacious.....can anyone comment on crime? (And is the coyote thing something to be nervous about?) Thx!! I appreciate your experiences.
Crime in El Dorado? There isn't much crime at all. The last criminal act I remember was some vandalism at the Agora shopping center, but that was a couple years ago. And the coyote thing isn't a problem...if you have cats you should probably keep them inside at night though. You also will often hear them howling in the distance at night...always gets my dog up and arms

Old 02-20-2007, 10:23 AM

27 posts, read 126,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser_user View Post
if you have cats you should probably keep them inside at night though.
yeah.....if you have cats you should definitely keep them in at night (at least).
I moved from ABQ where my cat was born outdoors and was always outside to los alamos where we HAD to keep him inside. coyotes would be in the backyard there. Now we are in Chamisal and kitty is in for good now again.

other than cats and small dogs tho, coyotes dont seem to be any problem really. they scare off easily and are quite small.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:35 AM

51 posts, read 325,822 times
wow....gladly the house I am considering has a high, walled in, backyard! Thx for the info on the crime and coyotes....I am glad to moving there in the spring and avoid the unplowed roads tho! I have a 4WD but not a plow! I think my main concern is that I will feel too isolated but I guess if I am keeping myself busy & involved, that wont happen, unless I allow it too. I do plan on working in Santa Fe and spending a good amount of time exploring. Any add'l honest info about Eldorado is definately appreciated! THX!! Ive heard things like wind/sand storms....is this true? Does one need a/c in the summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe