Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 11,513 times

Advertisements

I am considering Santa Fe for retirement. My retirement is still a few years off. I basically am better off in moderately priced áreas, not expensive ones. I was surprised to see houses in this Price range on the internet in Santa Fé. I love nature, open space, the mountains, and culture. Especially language and cafes I was wondering about the Spanish language. I have been certified by the government of Spain at native level fluency (Spanish is a language I learned when I was an adult). Is Spanish spoken very much in Santa Fe? I have seen some negative posts on this fórum and am just wondering about the general situation in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabreado View Post
I am considering Santa Fe for retirement.
Quote:
Especially language and cafes I was wondering about the Spanish language. I have been certified by the government of Spain at native level fluency (Spanish is a language I learned when I was an adult). Is Spanish spoken very much in Santa Fe? I have seen some negative posts on this fórum and am just wondering about the general situation in the city.
My native language is Spanish and I attempt to practice it as much as possible. I encounter more Spanish speaking people in the Albuquerque area than Santa Fe. Other Spanish speaking areas I might have considered in the past which I have lived in or been to frequently were El Paso, Los Angeles, Miami, Phoenix, San Antonio and San Francisco. But they also have a larger population than Santa Fe... You might want to read this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/santa...-santa-fe.html

I strongly suggest that you visit Santa Fe and Possibly Albuquerque to see if you would want to live here.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-19-2013 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 PM

7 posts, read 11,513 times
Indeed I need to visit. I didn't want to unduely concéntrate on Spanish. What about the city of Santa Fe itself? Can one take a lot of walks, walk in the mountains, and enjoy cafes? Is there enough to do to keep one occupied with cultural happenings? BTW, where are you from if your native language is Spanish? In my experience Los Angeles has a lot of Spanish speaking people but is not a place I care for in terms of language.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Indeed I need to visit. I didn't want to unduely concéntrate on Spanish. What about the city of Santa Fe itself? Can one take a lot of walks, walk in the mountains, and enjoy cafes?
Basically yes.

Quote:
Is there enough to do to keep one occupied with cultural happenings?
For many people yes, but not for me, I prefer the Albuquerque area. Plus I needed to be near a major airport and that is where my wife's job was located.

Quote:
BTW, where are you from if your native language is Spanish? In my experience Los Angeles has a lot of Spanish speaking people but is not a place I care for in terms of language.
My parents were from Spain. They met in New York, that is where I was born. I lived in Miami, Dominican Republic and later four years in Europe. Most of my relatives live outside the U.S.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:46 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,422,337 times
Before commenting, I guess I'd better say that I didn't get any spanish-language skills from my family background :-) Just from classes in school and talking with friends.

My impression (note the caveat above :-) is that a person who learned Spanish as an adult in Spain would find the Spanish spoken in Santa Fe (or anywhere else in the US) to be quite different.

My best friend is from Mexico and generally tends to be critical of the Spanish spoken here in the U.S. Despite that, most of his family lives now in Chihuahua which is the closest Mexican state to New Mexico. So, there seem to be a lot of lot of cultural similarities in terms of language, food, and culture.

So, in the interest of being helpful to the OP, I would say that a person who has good Castillian Spanish would find that they would have to adapt a lot if they wanted to use Spanish a lot in Santa Fe. If for no other reason that the Spanish of the decendents of the Spaniards who settled in Santa Fe 400 years ago has diverged from the Castillian one might learn in Spain today.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:53 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,422,337 times
I guess I should also add that I have considered Santa Fe as a place I might want to retire in. As far as negative posts, I have seen some, but I don't think any of them had to do with language, per se.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,032,885 times
I retired in Santa Fe 4 1/2 years ago.

I find very few negatives about the city. I love it here.

Spanish is spoken frequently here; you will hear it spoken all over town, and most all of the signs everywhere are bilingual. I love hearing Spanish spoken ever day and am gradually learning to understand it and speak it a little.

This is a great city for walking ... there are lots of parks with paved walking areas and of course the Plaza area.. also hiking on the mountain trails.

Santa Fe can be expensive if you want it to be -- expensive Plaza-area shops and restaurants, expensive homes. HOWEVER, I am not wealthy and I live what I consider a somewhat frugal lifestyle -- and the city is very affordable. It depends on what your needs and wants are. There are dozens of restaurants in this city which are quite reasonable. And many stores which have prices similar to stores everywhere.

I have found nearly all the people I have met here are friendly to each other and to newcomers. I have had no trouble meeting lots of friends in the time I have lived here. The nice part is that we all look out for one another.

Last edited by Towanda; 01-12-2013 at 08:41 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 08:28 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,758,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I retired in Santa Fe 4 1/2 years ago.

I find very few negatives about the city. I love it here.

Spanish is spoken frequently here; you will hear it spoken all over town, and most all of the signs everywhere are bilingual. I love hearing Spanish spoken ever day and am gradually learning to understand it and speak it a little.

This is a great city for walking ... there are lots of parks with paved walking areas and of course the Plaa area.. also hiking on the mountain trails.

Santa Fe can be expensive if you want it to be -- expensive Plaza-area shops and restaurants, expensive homes. HOWEVER, I am not wealthy and I live what I consider a somewhat frugal lifestyle -- and the city is very affordable. It depends on what your needs and wants are. There are dozens of restaurants in this city which are quite reasonable. And many stores which have prices similar to stores everywhere.

I have found nearly all the people I have met here are friendly to each other and to newcomers. I have had no trouble meeting lots of friends in the time I have lived here. The nice part is that we all look out for one another.
It's great seeing you back around here, Towanda. You've been missed.

To the OP, Santa Fe is a walker's dream, with plenty of cafes, cultural events, nearby mountains.

Y Español, también.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,346,496 times
I too find Santa Fe a walker's dream. We spend several days a year there and once we park the car, it isn't started until we leave. We've walked miles a day there and look forward to it every year. I like their cafes but I do find some of their food different for my taste. It took me years to decide between green or red chili!! Although, I hope to take a class at the Santa Fe School of Cooking this year on peppers.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,743 times
I'm thinking of retiring to Santa Fe, is it a safe city, is it dog friendly? Also, I'll be retiring on a fixed disability income, is housing affordable and available for renting?

Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe