Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 08:42 AM

212 posts, read 371,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I loved everything about Santa Fe...except for the lack of greenery.
Hyde Memorial State Park is ten minutes from the Plaza.

Hyde Memorial State Park New Mexico

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 05:04 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
I think the best way to appreciate Santa Fe is to drop all expectations, and not bring preferences with you that relate to the place you're leaving. So for those who think they need greenery, or jazz clubs, or whatever, realize that Santa Fe is a unique place with its own special features, and appreciate it for what it is, instead of comparing it to "back home".

Sure, I love greenery, the ocean, and certain types of music. But I didn't come to Santa Fe for any of those (good thing, haha!). I came because of the richness of Native American culture the city and its surroundings have to offer, and I wasn't disappointed. I love the adobe-style architecture, the emphasis on the arts, all the creative people in town, Native culture, and the Hispanic history and nature of the place. If you're ready to immerse yourself in what the city and environs have to offer, you won't be focused on what they don't have to offer. If you can't do that, you may be better off not moving here. I think that applies to just about anyplace.

Just a thought.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:27 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,512,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
We have been visiting Santa Fe every two or three years for the almost 16 years we have been married. Mostly around Indian Market, but at various times including just before this last Christmas.

In fact, we will be there in two days on a house-hunting trip. We made the decision to pull up stakes and move our circus there while visiting (and touring some houses) last August. We now have a solid offer on our house here in Asheville, NC, so the process continues, now with a full head of steam.

Santa Fe has always been a special place for us.
Mule, we live outside of Asheville but after numerous visits to NM we are thinking about a move in a few years. Let us how you like it and good luck with your relocation...I'm jealous!

Old 07-20-2016, 08:57 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Oh, and I forgot to mention that when you get here, be sure to try huevos rancheros with black beans. Not everyone services it with the black ones.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:50 AM

679 posts, read 1,462,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Mule, we live outside of Asheville but after numerous visits to NM we are thinking about a move in a few years. Let us how you like it and good luck with your relocation...I'm jealous!
Will do. I am sitting in the Atlanta airport as we speak, waiting for the connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention that when you get here, be sure to try huevos rancheros with black beans. Not everyone services it with the black ones.

That sounds right up our alley. Thanks!

Incidentally, the Native American culture i sprobably the underlying driving force for us, and is what has kept us coming back. Santa Fe is beautiful, but there are a lot of beautiful places. It combines that beauty with an interesting culture. I've lived in all four time zones, the midwest, desert, coast (west) and rain forest (both Virginia and Asheville). Every time we have been to Santa Fe, it has touched us in some way.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:30 AM

974 posts, read 2,344,735 times
La Mula (hey, if you're going to live in New Mexico you might as well give yourself a Spanish handle....)

Have a good flight and good luck house-hunting!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:50 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,909,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

No one eats rancheros with black beans. Ack!! And black beans are indigenous to the tropics anyway. Like eating salmon in Santa fe, you can but...

Grow local, eat local.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:49 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
CptnRn: Did you get a chance to see Cochiti Lake? It's located about 20 minutes south of Santa Fe. Popular for wind-surfing, sailing and fishing. Also, about an hour and a quarter north of Santa Fe is Storrie Lake, an 1100 acre Lake which also has boating/sailing, fishing, etc.
So you might want to keep your sailboat!!!

Yep, this is a special place alright; glad you "got it".

Thanks, I will look into those.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:12 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
"Thought to have been first cultivated in Mexico and Central America 7000 years ago, the black bean is now a staple of many cuisines across the Americas, from certain parts of the USA to Mexico, Cuba, and other Latin American countries. In Spanish they are called frijoles negros. Another common name for them in English is black turtle bean."
For those who have the slightest interest: 11 Delicious Ways to Eat Black Beans

Old 07-21-2016, 12:12 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
No one eats rancheros with black beans. Ack!! And black beans are indigenous to the tropics anyway. Like eating salmon in Santa fe, you can but...

Grow local, eat local.
Northern New Mexican food uses black beans more...its just that way. In southern NM, we use pinto beans more.

https://draxe.com/black-beans-nutrition/

Black beans have been popularly used in Latin American cuisines for thousands of years. Today they are most commonly found in Mexican, Brazilian, Dominican, Cuban, Cajun and Creole cuisines. Black beans are from the Phaseolus vulgaris legume family, a plant that is native to the Americas.

A few more tips on NM fare...

25 Food Things Only A New Mexican Would Understand (PHOTOS)

(Maybe not all points are agreed upon, but you get the idea)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe