Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 07:37 PM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Here's one site that ranks hospitals, but there are many others. LWR medical Center is small by comparison to Doctors or SRQ Memorial, fewer doctors, options. I've personally not used their services so cannot comment.
https://health.usnews.com/best-hospi...center-6390109

Builders

I've gone thru new construction with quite a few customers over the years and in some respects it's a crap shoot, depending on who you get for a building manager and what sub contractors they're using. None of them are perfect.

Obviously you have the higher end builders like John Cannon and Lee Whetherington. Taylor Morrison and Pulte have pretty good reputations around our area, as does Neal Communities, M/I, Homes by Towne. Toll Brothers has been going thru management issues over the past couple of years, which has contributed to longer build times. D R Horton varies - I've seen quality construction and not so stellar construction by them, but lately they seem to have cleaned up their act. Lennar doesn't wow me for reasons I prefer not to go into here. Haven't formed an opinion yet regarding Ryan Homes in Lakewood Ranch, I was not overly impressed with the subdivision they built near my home over the past couple of years.

No matter the builder, always have your own independent home inspection -- 2 actually if you can. The first pre-drywall, before the AC duct work, plumbing & electrical get covered. The 2nd shortly before the closing. Most builders require home inspectors to carry a certain level of liability insurance, there are several quality new construction home inspectors in our area.
I ran into a brick wall over this requirement. Inspectors lie until you force them to produce a insurance certificate naming the builder as additionally insured for liability...then they vanish and stop returning your calls...usually at the last minute, so they leave you hanging w/ days running out...what jerks. Give inspectors to the end of the 2nd biz day to email you their liability ins cert, then blow them off, & move on o the next one.

I also agree 100% w/ the builders site manager you get. I had the best, which saved our butts, but it was by dumb luck. You were not allowed to choose. Our site manager has since been promoted twice, and is now the #1 guy in SW FLA.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 03-22-2024 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2024, 03:06 PM

315 posts, read 359,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I ran into a brick wall over this requirement. Inspectors lie until you force them to produce a insurance certificate naming the builder as additionally insured for liability...then they vanish and stop returning your calls...usually at the last minute, so they leave you hanging w/ days running out...what jerks. Give inspectors to the end of the 2nd biz day to email you their liability ins cert, then blow them off, & move on o the next one.

I also agree 100% w/ the builders site manager you get. I had the best, which saved our butts, but it was by dumb luck. You were not allowed to choose. Our site manager has since been promoted twice, and is now the #1 guy in SW FLA.

Haven't used an inspector and not familiar with the need of liability insurance. What exactly is it for ?

Also, I've been going through the listings of new and existing homes. I'm not seeing much in they way of natural gas. Stove, heat ect. Is most of LR electric ? If not, what communities are natural gas ?

Old 03-26-2024, 09:48 AM

138 posts, read 114,526 times
Just think twice before letting your puppy loose in the backyard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDm8xmmLxiw

Old 03-26-2024, 09:51 AM

Default Watchout!

https://www.wfla.com/news/local-news...igator-attack/ They won't bother you if you don't bother them. Yeah right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6VDjweHg9M

Old 03-26-2024, 09:59 AM

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2022/09/1...d-ranch-woman/

Old 03-26-2024, 10:31 AM

4,613 posts, read 7,531,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
Haven't used an inspector and not familiar with the need of liability insurance. What exactly is it for ?

Also, I've been going through the listings of new and existing homes. I'm not seeing much in they way of natural gas. Stove, heat ect. Is most of LR electric ? If not, what communities are natural gas ?

Home buyers here in FL generally include a time period in the contracts in which to have inspections. The most popular inspections are general home inspection & pest inspection. However, mold & radon inspections are sometimes included, depending on things such as disclosure of previous leaks in roof or plumbing regarding mold or specific locations in our area for radon. Elevated levels of radon have been found in parts of Lakewood Ranch.

As to why builders demand a specific level of liability insurance for home inspectors the buyers may hire, none of them have ever said, but I have my own ideas as to why. If you read the contracts the average home inspector has you sign before they start the inspection, it limits their liability to no more than the cost of the inspection. Builders, on the other hand, want to see general liability insurance coverage that (1) covers bodily injury if someone gets hurt on the job site during the home inspection and (2) covers property damage that may occur during the home inspection process. Here's a new twist -- some are starting to ask for proof of drone insurance if the home inspector intends to take photos using a drone as a part of the inspection.

If you are considering buying a home in FL, you will want not just a general home inspection but you also should ask the home inspector to include both a 4-point inspection report & wind mitigation report for insurance purposes. Those 2 reports will be requested by insurance companies in order to give you quotes for insurance coverage. Last year my own insurance company decided it no longer wanted to write policies for our area of SW FL and we had to find replacement coverage. EVERY insurance company I contacted asked to see the 4-point & wind mit reports up front.

Natural gas is available in most of the communities within Lakewood Ranch, Teco is the utility company.
Lake Club, Del Webb, Esplanade, Summerfield, Greenbrook Village, Country Club East, Indigo, Star Farms are a few I can think of at the moment but I know there are many others.

Keep in mind though that not every home within those communities is actually using natural gas as some people do opt for all electric.

Lakewood Ranch has a Visitors Center and website with lots of info about the community. You can probably ask them for a list of all the neighborhoods with natural gas.
The site is: https://lakewoodranch.com/

Old 03-28-2024, 12:33 PM

315 posts, read 359,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Lakewood Ranch has a Visitors Center and website with lots of info about the community. You can probably ask them for a list of all the neighborhoods with natural gas.
The site is: https://lakewoodranch.com/

Thanks SR. I contacted the visitors center and spoke to one of the reps who was very helpful.
She gave me a list of all the communities with natural gas along with other informative links.
I'll definitely make a point of stopping there when we head down.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:16 PM

13 posts, read 12,208 times
Bad traffic getting worse. Not talking about a bulls game. Talking about running car pools/daily errands. It’s a nightmare. Check out home and auto insurance. Frighing joke.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:05 AM

562 posts, read 550,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heallytim View Post
Bad traffic getting worse. Not talking about a bulls game. Talking about running car pools/daily errands. It’s a nightmare. Check out home and auto insurance. Frighing joke.
If you feel that way move, that has actual results.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:32 AM

Traffic congestion IS getting worse. Insurance rates ARE going much higher. In general, daily tasks are taking 2X longer. These are facts. In the words of John Adams, “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.” Many have just moved here after going all-in to the Sunshine State of Florida, where life is reportedly, "perfect". Should they uproot once again, after a pandemic plunder; maybe, maybe not? People prefer NOT to speak of the homelessness, slack culture, crime and the relentless heat. It's simply a good place to be a few months out of a calendar year. talking about the current realities may help someone else in making a smarter decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area