Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 09:32 AM

25,932 posts, read 12,960,297 times

Advertisements

I like that they come here to spend $ in our state, & recreate with us, but otherwise...safe trip home.

The more the years pass here, the more the crowds bother me...& having to alter my life's patterns.

I get revenge by visiting Western NC for 2 months each Summer, but its a small town that doesn't see the influx there, that we see here.

The latest Visit SRQ tourism metrics show a slight decline in occupancy, but in Southern Sarasota County this year seemed to me to the heaviest ever.

I'm curious to hear what the City of Sarasota residents saw? Or, Siesta, Longboat, & the other more attractive coastal areas that visitors like more than my area, 8 miles inland, in remote Southern Sarasota County.

The room occupancy is drawn from the 6% taxes collected on hotel/motel, & short term rentals. I would agree that those seemed down.

Its the snowbirds that have multipled here. They stay for 6 months, & 1 day (or longer) to establish Florida residency, and to also avoid the 6% room/rental taxes.

I prefer them to the short-term renters, don't get me wrong, but its the sheer volume of them.

Our population, & traffic seems to increase 5 fold, especially during Jan, Feb, March, April. And, the average age gets much older too, so driving becomes much more dangerous.

I'm happiest when it subsides, and I can get around town easier, and start going back to my favorite restaurants at normal times.

Our seasonal restaurant workers tell me it really falls off Mother's Day weeend. So, I'll have most of May & all of June to enjoy our great area, before I head North too.

Since I'm part of the problem by living here 10 months/yr, I'll start looking to move too before much longer, to give you all some more relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 02:27 AM

473 posts, read 471,886 times
My GF lived in Venice for 20 years and I lived there for 10 years but we left there a year ago. The winters were great in Venice but as the years went by and Covid hit, the massive influx of people was one of the key factors that drove us out. For us, too many people ruined a good thing. The other factor for us was that we grew weary of the long hot summers. We didn't want to be snowbirds so we decided to relocate north. Very happy where we are now. Two of our neighbors in Venice left right after we did. One moved to north central Florida and another to Raleigh NC. We have another friend who is fed up with the traffic and crowds and he's contemplating a move too. I can't see the infrastructure in Venice ever catching up with the current population. Maybe after enough baby boomers die off it will get better. Of course many people from the big cities in the northeast probably think nothing of the congestion so they'll probably keep on coming.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:04 AM

^^^nice post...I'm on the same page.

The top 2 factors that most of us down here dread are:

-long hot/humid Summers that wear on you more, as time passes
-overcrowded most of the rest of the time, which also becomes less tolerable w/ time

1 of those 2 bad things is in play most of the year. Mid-April (when I see them leaving) to the end of June, then Oct, Nov, & Dec are best.

I read a lot about rising costs here, but I have not seen that, besides gas, & food. Our insurance has risen, but nothing like some stories I read...which is likely their insurance companies telling them to go elsewhere for coverage.

The cost creep I've seen, is more than offset by our 100% appreciation in our home. It's like we are being paid to live in FLA. Our net worth has grown since moving back to FLA 8 yrs ago...earned income aside.

We'll most likely move further North w/in FLA...then stretch our Summer rentals in the Carolina's out longer, & drive the locals up there nuts. We won't do 2 homes again, & unlikely we'd ever give up FLA residency....it's too valuable to us.

We've had a nice run since returning, & no place else we'd rather be...but it's so nice to see the snowbirds leave. I love seeing the auto carrier tractor-trailers loading up.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:24 AM

20,176 posts, read 20,962,201 times
My 2 cents, because I have a lot of family in the area and we visit quite often, is that from Sarasota to Port Charlotte has gotten absolutely bananas in just the past few years alone. It’s off the charts. Even when the snowbirds are gone, the traffic is still insane, and shopping/dining is still super busy. And I specifically named that stretch because that is our stomping grounds. Non stop construction and road work. It just does not end. We go down an average of once a month and stay for a week or so, and every time we visit it is noticeably different. And on top of that, nearly everything has gotten ridiculously expensive.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:57 AM

This forum area is no longer a hidden gem. It's clearly visible on the national radar to tourists, snowbirds, & permanent transplants alike. This "comming out" transpired since my return here, 8 years ago, so I'm partially to blame.

This nationwide exposure brings more crowds, construction, traffic delays, inflation, longer lines & wait times at all things retail/hospitality.

It also places a strain on our; police, fire, schools, healthcare, utilities, & public spaces.

People & cars everywhere..oh my! It's going to get a lot worse too. I lived through the same explosive growth cycle in SE Florida back in the 1980's, then Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater in the 90's. When I go back to those places, I can hardly recognize them.

This is why I savor this time of year, after the seasonal visitors leave our area. Its like traveling back in time.

Every place we decide to live, has a life-cycle all its own. Each place has its sweet spot in time. IMHO, this forum areas sweet spot in time hasn't closed yet, but I can see the hourglass counting down.

This might sound odd, but when paid parking meters consume our beachside spaces, & downtown streets, that is my signal to leave. That's 1 sign I look out for. I saw it take over Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater, It has already consumed Lido Key, & much of the City of SRQ. When beach parking meters invade the beaches of Southern Sarasota County, I'm out. There are already some paid parking kiosks along Englewood Beach, so my antenna are on full alert. To me, that is when a coastal area loses its appeal...when paid parking takes over.

Let's all enjoy the sweet spot in time while we still can. I'm very excited to be here over the next 10 weeks especially. I'll be doing my best to keep the local establishments alive. This is a great time to hit the beach, & the waterways, & the links, courts, parks, & preserves...all things outdoors....and enjoy the free parking, while we all still can!

Old 04-22-2024, 11:18 AM

522 posts, read 875,042 times
I bought my place last August in Summerville Fl. outside the Villages. I'm probably still in the honeymoon stages of my winter here. It has been busy but not crazy busy like the Venice area( I've spent many trips scouting that area) I'm happy with my choice so far, The magnolias are blooming, everything is green. Its been warm this week hitting high 80's low 90's ( fairly low humidity)but i haven't turned on the A/C. The heat builds to peak 3-5pm I go to the pool and cool of and the the evening starts to cool, nice sleeping weather with the windows open. It will be getting sticky hot here soon but I'll be heading back north for a few months were it can get quite hot there. This area of FL is not without it's problems but it seems to be a good area to become a full time FL resident with it temperate climate and more affordable housing, and amenities.

Old 04-22-2024, 12:34 PM

4,581 posts, read 2,296,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
I bought my place last August in Summerville Fl. outside the Villages. I'm probably still in the honeymoon stages of my winter here. It has been busy but not crazy busy like the Venice area( I've spent many trips scouting that area) I'm happy with my choice so far, The magnolias are blooming, everything is green. Its been warm this week hitting high 80's low 90's ( fairly low humidity)but i haven't turned on the A/C. The heat builds to peak 3-5pm I go to the pool and cool of and the the evening starts to cool, nice sleeping weather with the windows open. It will be getting sticky hot here soon but I'll be heading back north for a few months were it can get quite hot there. This area of FL is not without it's problems but it seems to be a good area to become a full time FL resident with it temperate climate and more affordable housing, and amenities.

My husband and I are seriously considering a move from the eastern Florida coast to the mid-central area of the state. Summerville/Ocklawaha popped up on our radar. We will be doing a visit there on our way back from a road trip up to VA and NC to see two of our sons this summer. Good to know that you like it so far.

Old 04-22-2024, 12:48 PM

3,485 posts, read 2,826,057 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pvAheaqBeA

Old 04-22-2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
What % of people leave your area to go back North for the Summer, if you had to guess?

In the Venice area, I'd say 1/3rd leave for the Summer months.

It seems like more leave, but many of those were Spring break families w/ kids, & tourists...not snow birds.

If you include all visitors, from our peak in March in Venice to our lowest point in August, I'd say we lose 1/2 the people.

Venice is not a big short term tourism destination yet (no attractions except the beach), but it is a huge snow bird destination.

Old 04-22-2024, 03:59 PM

17,642 posts, read 13,434,814 times
Hey, I resemble that remark! But, I drive

Thanks for the Hospitality and see you next Jan (just turn up the heat and get rid of the clouds and rain)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area