Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:46 AM

737 posts, read 2,460,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelP View Post
Look at the crime stats map that are issued by the city PD and also call them yourself and ask questions. Threads like this made me uneasy about coming to SAV. I'm glad I didn't take the alarmist approach and did my research. We've been here for almost 2 years now and crime is not an issue at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkbras View Post
I am looking to move to the Savanah area. Does anyone have any advice about what would be the best section to live in? Im really wanting something outside of Savanah. I am a country boy from TN and you cant seem to get the country out of your blood when your raised that way.
I got bored.
Here ya go for a starting point...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/savan...bad-areas.html

Old 04-25-2009, 05:57 PM

726 posts, read 3,604,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkbras View Post
I am looking to move to the Savanah area. Does anyone have any advice about what would be the best section to live in? Im really wanting something outside of Savanah. I am a country boy from TN and you cant seem to get the country out of your blood when your raised that way.
Letters to the editor | SavannahNow.com

Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 AM

8 posts, read 27,275 times
I was a tour guide in Savannah for about two years and I loved my job. However, while in training we were told "The main thing that will get you fired is telling the truth to the tourists about the crime." I managed to avoid being fired but eventually quit to do something else. I miss that job every day but I know I wasn't suited for it.

Savannah is probably the most beautiful city I have ever seen, right up there with Portland, OR and San Francisco, CA. And it is true that every city has crime, so Savannah isn't unique in that respect.

I can quote a famous visitor to Savannah in the 1920's; "Savannah is like a beautiful woman with a dirty face" and also refer to a book title, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". Savannah's crime is so unexpected...I think that is what is different about it. It's just this undercurrent that you can almost feel. And it is also very accepted. I have lived here 41 years and I just know that's the price you have to pay to be here. For those who have lived here and haven't experienced it or just live in denial and refuse to admit its existence, it's only because your number hasn't come up yet.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:15 AM

5 posts, read 30,143 times
To comment on crime in Savannah, I would like to add that we visit often, and I have never felt like I was in danger at any time. It's just good common sense to stay away from areas that you are not familiar with and when out at night not to be alone. These days you can get robbed in "Mayberry".

Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVANNAHLOVER1 View Post
To comment on crime in Savannah, I would like to add that we visit often, and I have never felt like I was in danger at any time. It's just good common sense to stay away from areas that you are not familiar with and when out at night not to be alone. These days you can get robbed in "Mayberry".

Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM

"I have lived here 41 years ..."
And I'm assuming nowhere else?
Nobody in this thread, or on this bored, has said that there is no crime in Savannah.
But compared to other places/cities, it ain't that bad.
I've been thru some deep **** in other places, and yet I don't disparage the whole place.
It was just my dumb luck.
Ain't it ain't gonna happen again.

Just my 26cents worth.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:33 PM

56 posts, read 224,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam'smom View Post
Savannah's crime is so unexpected...I think that is what is different about it.
Huh??? Just because a place has lovely old buildings and beautiful squares, it doesn't mean a random mugger or car thief isn't lurking about. I expect crime everywhere and use common sense everywhere I go. I avoid bad areas and I steer away from questionable looking people that stray into good areas.

I don't mean to pick on you Adam's mom but some people that have lived here for a very long time seem to have a very distorted sense of crime here and I think it could potentially dissuade someone from moving to Savannah if they read posts like this.

Sure there is crime in Savannah. There is crime everywhere though these days. I lived for 9 years in one of the wealthiest counties in the US and there was a shocking amount of crime there. It happens everywhere and unless you are going to isolate your self in a compound in the middle of nowhere, it is just a fact of life in modern times.

I just read a story yesterday about a couple that was robbed in their motel room here in Savannah. Seemed shocking at first until I read that it was nighttime and they were sitting in their room with the door to the outside opened because they wanted some fresh air. DUH!!! If you do incredibly dumb things like this the fact is that there are no-good people out there that will take advantage of your own foolishness and lack of common sense. I read this couple was from Alaska. Maybe they just didn't have any experience living in cities. I really don't know. Common sense dictates that you don't leave your door unlocked anywhere at anytime...let alone wide open at night.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:18 PM

27 posts, read 69,914 times
Default oh Al...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
Please look thru some of the old threads?
This didn't need to be bumped.
<Hey! I said please, didn't I?>

Reads one thread, and damns the city?
Thanks for the prayers, and glad we ain't on your short list.
L.A. is heaven compared to this.
Hahaha...
L.A. aint heaven...you lived in San Diego right??? Please tell me you are being sarcastic.
Im trying my best to get out of this town! I've lived in LA for six years and I think Savannah is fantastic. My husband is there..& I have visited many times. I have a hard time believing its 'dangerous'. Wherever there are poor helpless people there is crime. Name one city there isnt, big or small.
I cant wait to move!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence1 View Post
L.A. aint heaven...you lived in San Diego right??? Please tell me you are being sarcastic.
Im trying my best to get out of this town! I've lived in LA for six years and I think Savannah is fantastic. My husband is there..& I have visited many times. I have a hard time believing its 'dangerous'. Wherever there are poor helpless people there is crime. Name one city there isnt, big or small.
I cant wait to move!
Total sarcasm.
It's my job.
It's what I do best.

Yup, San Diego was home for twenty years.
Spent some time up in L.A.
And now the two are almost one big city.
I been a "few" places/cities in my life, and this is the place I wanna be.
You will love it here.
Just bring the street smarts you developed in L.A. and you'll be alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area