Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 10:18 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There are posts on some of what falls under Earth Science in Weather, no?
True, but would you put discussions regarding our diminished clean water availability under Weather? Air quality? Rising temperatures are impacting the thawing of our permafrost, and I've read this may be the cause behind the viral releases. I don't know that it's true, should it be posted under weather?

Example:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/scie...ing-toxic.html

I posted this because I'm concerned about the contamination of our inland waters and how these contaminants can affect our air quality. Shouldn't this be a concern? It didn't get interest because I posted to the Science forum, but it isn't weather, either. It doesn't reach the forum charts until it gets interest. We need an Environmental issues or Earth science venue for discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 10:27 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
True, but would you put discussions regarding our diminished clean water availability under Weather? Air quality? Rising temperatures are impacting the thawing of our permafrost, and I've read this may be the cause behind the viral releases. I don't know that it's true, should it be posted under weather?
Green living?

Old 11-15-2022, 01:06 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
Because earth science isn't about comPUUUUUUUters, the new be-all and end-all of all human existence.

Instead it deals with actual, difficult concepts, mathematics, physics and chemistry, and all on enormous scales of time, unlike punching some keys like a trained minkey to see what Micro$oft will make the machine do this week.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Because earth science isn't about comPUUUUUUUters, the new be-all and end-all of all human existence.

Instead it deals with actual, difficult concepts, mathematics, physics and chemistry, and all on enormous scales of time, unlike punching some keys like a trained minkey to see what Micro$oft will make the machine do this week.
Okay. So, you have no answer either.

Okay.

Old 11-16-2022, 07:19 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
Quote:
Okay. So, you have no answer either.

Okay.
I just told you the answer.

If it has to do with computer software (especially), it gets subforums and subsubforums ad infinitum, but if it actually deals with SCIENCE or (horrors!) NON computer technology (and, you know, there is such a thing) it gets short shrift.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:23 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:
In today's world where so many of our natural resources are being lost, I am surprised at the lack of conversation in City-Data around our environment. Why is that?

There's no shortage of doom-and-gloom environmental discussions on City-Data, or anywhere else, for that matter. Quite the opposite. As far as an actual Earth Sciences forum discussing Earth Sciences at the college level, I can't imagine there are enough of us here for it to work.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
There's no shortage of doom-and-gloom environmental discussions on City-Data, or anywhere else, for that matter. Quite the opposite. As far as an actual Earth Sciences forum discussing Earth Sciences at the college level, I can't imagine there are enough of us here for it to work.
I understand your point, but believe:

1.) Perhaps if there was an Earth Sciences forum where lay people and those studying Earth Sciences (formally or just out of interest), it might raise the consciousness and trigger some possible solutions to our existing problems. In other words, it would be a community service on C-D's part that could serve the world at large.

2.) I don't think the environmental discussions would be so depressing if people that knew about these things could explain some phenomena so people could understand how we affect Earth natural processes.

3.) It may serve to improve the forum's "attendance."

Old 11-21-2022, 04:02 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
I found a science story I wanted to share, so I posted it in the "Nature" forum.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:31 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:

Example:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/scie...ing-toxic.html

I posted this because I'm concerned about the contamination of our inland waters and how these contaminants can affect our air quality. Shouldn't this be a concern? It didn't get interest because I posted to the Science forum, but it isn't weather, either. It doesn't reach the forum charts until it gets interest. We need an Environmental issues or Earth science venue for discussions.
It’s a long shot, but you could always try the Nature sub forum, though the majority of it deals with flora and fauna. Alternatively, consider Great Debates, which while being more general, encourages thorough discussions as opposed to simplistic answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I just told you the answer.

If it has to do with computer software (especially), it gets subforums and subsubforums ad infinitum, but if it actually deals with SCIENCE or (horrors!) NON computer technology (and, you know, there is such a thing) it gets short shrift.
That’s not entirely accurate as there’s a Space section, though admittedly it looks kinda lonely surrounded by subforums about computers, phones and tablets.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
What is earth science?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology