Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2024, 02:03 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am in the process of getting into the field of electronics repair as a hobby.
I already have the powered tools and just about all the hand tools I'd need as I do work on computers and have done a little bit soldering.
I am trying to get feedback on those who regularly do soldering on PCB boards or with SMD components to see what kind of magnification device they are using.

I do not have a microscope. I was interested in getting something but I am on a budget so instead of buying something lame due to my budget, I decided to wait while I continue to use magnification eye glasses that has a 5 different lenses from 1x to 3.5x. For most projects, I am OK with using it for just about any typical work or soldering I normally do but I have a feeling it may not be sufficient with smaller electronics components (0603 or even 0805).

I am aware optical scopes are better but I really would like to have the scope to have multimedia connections and that is where my problem starts; based on my research trinocular scopes are optical and also allowed digital cam attachments but total cost goes way too high. Standalone Digital Cams are pretty bad with resolution at higher magnification and I believe, if not included, there is the need for a wide view Barlow lens to create some distance between the scope and the object being worked on.

On a site, I even read someone using and older Elmo Document Viewer type cameras like an older optical Elmo camera with 12x optical zoom and 8x digital zoom for a total 96x zoom. Even used one is selling over $300 which is hardly a bargain and I am not even sure if it'd be suitable for my use?

Fair to say, I was overwhelmed with all the info I collected in the last several days.

Are you doing any electronics soldering, and if so, what type of magnification device/microscope do you use?

I am looking for suitable recommendations (under $250 if possible).

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 08:54 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Thank you to everyone who chimed in!

After a bit more research, I ended up getting something already.

@Mods: Please close this thread.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology