Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 07:48 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
California also had a similar style but it was a bit earlier.
While most people remember the 70’s for the disco thing with dance suits, a large portion of us wore waffle-stomper style boots with vibram soles, Levi jeans, down jackets and yes flannel shirts.

As a resident of both states I see lots of Washington girls wearing expensive pants with holes all in them.
You don’t see that in the San Francisco area much at all anymore.

I’ve always been a fan of grunge type cloths for colder winter weather but I sport board shorts a tee shirt (maybe a Pendleton over the tee shirt) and sandals or skate board shoes when it’s not freaking ice cold.

Grunge type cloths is still worn on the Olympic Peninsula and in rural NorCal but I’d hardly call it a fashion, it’s more like practical clothing for those areas.

Fashions come and go like holes in pants or a Flock of Seagulls hairdo.
Waffle stompers! Those evolved to mimic the fashion in the late 60's for hiking boots with vibram soles. The waffle stompers were actually shoes, not boots, that were designed to look like what you might call low-top hiking boots (I'm thinking of high-top sneakers vs. low-top sneakers). They were popular in the 70's with college students, even conservative students.

Bell-bottom jeans were another carry-over from the 60's. Plaid flannel shirts were at one time (and still are) a practical part of hiking attire, along with the leather vibram-soled boots. Maybe that was one source of the fashion influence. The REI look. I've seen comments on the Seattle forum in past years, about how everyone in Seattle dresses like they just got back from a week-long camping trip.

I see the shredded-looking jeans among women college students even now, in Denver's university area. It's surprising how long that fashion has lasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 08:54 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I’m a 50 something guy, moved to Seattle in 1989 when grunge was taking off, saw many a show back in the day, my favorite venue was the Crocodile Cafe. Some of the songs still hit me hard when I hear them played, good memories.
Ah, the Crocodile Cafe. My friend and I specifically sought out that place on a trip to Seattle in 2001. We saw Buckcherry. But we were there more for the venue itself. Loved seeing all the old band stickers on the walls and ceilings.

Old 08-31-2023, 08:55 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
'90s Seattle band Sunny Day Real Estate just played Buffalo last Tuesday. I opted for bar trivia instead, though I would've gone to see them on a different day. Caught Portland's Modest Mouse near Niagara Falls two days ago...I'd imagine that these days Portland would have a somewhat significantly better music scene than Seattle, but I need to visit and investigate for myself
Wow, that's a blast from the past!

Old 08-31-2023, 09:45 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I see the shredded-looking jeans among women college students even now, in Denver's university area. It's surprising how long that fashion has lasted.
They were fashionable when I was in high school (around 2004-2008) but fell out. Surprisingly they are back in fashion again with Gen Z... I just shake my head at them because now I'm an old fart.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:04 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
They were fashionable when I was in high school (around 2004-2008) but fell out. Surprisingly they are back in fashion again with Gen Z... I just shake my head at them because now I'm an old fart.
I didn't realize they've been in and out of fashion, and back in, and back out. It seems to me they've never gone out of style, but maybe that varies by geographic location. Since I'm in the Southwest, but also in California and the Seattle area in any given year, I'll catch a glimpse of them somewhere, and just assume they're still popular everywhere.

What I've also noticed, is that bell-bottoms have had comebacks in every decade. I've seen them in fashion magazines, where they'll show up for a few years, then disappear, then next decade come back. Now they seem to be just one of many current variations on pant-leg shapes on the market.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:27 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times
Quote:
What I've also noticed, is that bell-bottoms have had comebacks in every decade. I've seen them in fashion magazines, where they'll show up for a few years, then disappear, then next decade come back. Now they seem to be just one of many current variations on pant-leg shapes on the market.
I used to love bell-bottoms back in the day... up until a wasp flew up my pants leg.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:58 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy1234 View Post
Seattle was never like that, not even 30 years ago when "Grunge" was a popular musical genre. Are you asking if there is currently a big music scene in Seattle?
When I was in high school in Seattle before grunge a red plaid flannel shirt over an ac/dc or van halen T-shirt was almost a uniform

Old 08-31-2023, 07:06 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I’m sure some enterprising company put the waffle stomper name on their shoes.
We basically called all shoes/boots that had the vibram style treads on their soles waffle stompers because that’s what the tracks looked like when you walked in the snow.
Part of the fashion for some was to keep their lift ticket attached to their down jacket when they came back to school on Monday so that people would know they went skiing.
A rock and roll tee shirt under a flannel was indeed part of the uniform, that and a 4 finger lid.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I just realized that I have several flannel shirts from Duluth Trading hanging in my closet that I wear in the winter. I was never into grunge though. I just like to be warm.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:15 AM

1,230 posts, read 989,118 times
Quote:
I didn't realize they've been in and out of fashion, and back in, and back out. It seems to me they've never gone out of style, but maybe that varies by geographic location. Since I'm in the Southwest, but also in California and the Seattle area in any given year, I'll catch a glimpse of them somewhere, and just assume they're still popular everywhere.

There does seem to be more people wearing ripped jeans now in the US cities now, but I think it is mostly girls but it not grunge they are after and into wearing flannel and rock band T-shirt. I don’t think they listening to grunge or rock bands.

There is some grit fashion becoming popular in some US cities now like this https://www.gritnglory.com/ and https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1458756692 and https://www.gritnglory.com/collections/whats-new

I thought Seattle was hub for rock bands? Now I hear other cities may be more into rock.

Looking at the past threads of Seattle there seems to be this myth going around that Seattle had lot of people into rock and roll, heavy metal and grunge. And that is false. After reading in the 90s and 2000s there was younger people into grunge but was a smaller sub section of the population that even if you where living in that time line it was sub section of the population.

And going on to saying today in Seattle look today is more hiking look, jeans, khakis, cargo shorts, cargo pants, yoga pants. Nothing remotely grunge at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area