Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 12:00 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times

Advertisements

Because this person is a Seattle police officer and senior member of the police officers' guild whose salary is paid by taxpayers and whose primary job duty is to keep people and property safe. That seems obvious. How is it pointlessly inflammatory? I would like further explanation of that assertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 12:05 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Because this person is a Seattle police officer and senior member of the police officers' guild whose salary is paid by taxpayers and whose primary job duty is to keep people and property safe. That seems obvious. How is it pointlessly inflammatory? I would like further explanation of that assertion.
As has been pointed out. People in stressful situation can have dark humor. You may not like that but it is what it is. Its a stress reliever.

Old 09-12-2023, 12:17 PM

14,495 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
But that is the point of having body cams...right? And isn't it DIRECTLY related to the event?

I don't know...I see both sides to this. It DOES point to a callous disregard for a life taken by a fellow police officer...and in the state of Washington, he surely would've been trained about the legislation regarding access to body cam footage. He really should've known better.

Here's the legislation on Body cam footage, in the state of Washington

"A person directly involved in an incident recorded by the requested body worn camera recording, an attorney representing a person directly involved in an incident recorded by the requested body worn camera recording, a person or his or her attorney who requests a body worn camera recording relevant to a criminal case involving that person, or the executive director from either the Washington state commission on African-American affairs, Asian Pacific American affairs, or Hispanic affairs, has the right to obtain the body worn camera recording, subject to any exemption under this chapter or any applicable law. See http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=42.56.240 for more info."

it'd be different if it was 2 officers in a bar, on their off- duty hours, having a drink or 2, and being overheard...but this guy was on the clock and wearing his body cam.

Is it directly related? Were either of these cops involved in the original incident? Does it affect the outcome of that incident? That's how I define directly related. And I don't know.

I do agree it was dumb to have such a conversation wearing it but I don't think the point of having body cams is to eavesdrop and record every moment of a cops work day and conversation for potential publishing to the media. I don't know who is responsible for even asking for this to be released. Were either of these people being investigated in relation to this incident or something else? I don't know. And I'm not nosy enough to go find out either.

This is tacky conversation, but I'm not sure why I need to know or care about it. How many millions of tacky conversations are happening right now? In a big country full of recording devices are we ever going to figure out which things should be news and which shouldn't?

Old 09-12-2023, 01:03 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Is it directly related? Were either of these cops involved in the original incident? Does it affect the outcome of that incident? That's how I define directly related. And I don't know.

I do agree it was dumb to have such a conversation wearing it but I don't think the point of having body cams is to eavesdrop and record every moment of a cops work day and conversation for potential publishing to the media. I don't know who is responsible for even asking for this to be released. Were either of these people being investigated in relation to this incident or something else? I don't know. And I'm not nosy enough to go find out either.

This is tacky conversation, but I'm not sure why I need to know or care about it. How many millions of tacky conversations are happening right now? In a big country full of recording devices are we ever going to figure out which things should be news and which shouldn't?
From the link, I think it said that another officer overheard his conversation, and reported him.

Also, per the link, he WAS directly involved. He was at the scene of the accident to administer a drug test to the officer who hit the young woman.

Old 09-12-2023, 01:10 PM

14,495 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
From the link, I think it said that another officer overheard his conversation, and reported him.

Also, per the link, he WAS directly involved. He was at the scene of the accident to administer a drug test to the officer who hit the young woman.

Yeah - OK - thanks for looking into it more than I was willing to do!

Old 09-12-2023, 01:21 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yeah - OK - thanks for looking into it more than I was willing to do!
I can be like a bulldog with a bone sometimes. lol

Old 09-12-2023, 10:32 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,307,797 times
By all accounts, a bright, much loved woman (graduate student here in Seattle) cut down in the prime of her life. Truly heartbreaking. I get the purpose of “gallows humor”, I’m not sure it applies here though. Brutally insensitive, wonder how that made her family back in India feel? I can’t imagine.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:02 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,861,052 times
The guy has a pretty bad past record. Some highlights:

https://twitter.com/DivestSPD/status...51593460326400

https://openoversight.tech-bloc-sea.dev/officer/69

Last edited by usernametaken; 09-13-2023 at 06:41 AM..

Old 09-13-2023, 06:36 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,861,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Eh, I'm just not worked up over some inappropriate comments made after the fact, that had no bearing whatsoever on the incident itself. Gallows humor is a real coping mechanism and without a doubt the Seattle police force is seriously understaffed and overtaxed by the nonstop drug overdose calls like this one that resulted in the death of a woman who failed to yield. There have been 6,000 emergency overdose responses so far this year alone. Perhaps one thing we could all agree on is that drug overdoses should immediately stop being responded to as emergencies.
She was mowed over at 74 mph in a 25 mph zone. Failure to yield?!

From original link in first comment:

Quote:
Auderer also mentions that Dave was “going 50 [miles an hour],” stating how “that’s not out of control” for a trained driver. A report released in June revealed that Dave was actually traveling at 74 miles an hour in a 25 mile an hour zone while responding to a different call.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:38 AM

8,172 posts, read 8,307,797 times
A news article from India, where the young woman was from: https://indiawest.com/indian-student...le-police-car/

To put a human face on it. “I was in shock,” Ashok Mandula, victim’s uncle, said after he was informed of the tragedy. He said Kandula first came to the US in 2021 from Adoni in Andhra Pradesh’s Kurnool district.

Daughter of a single mother who teaches in an elementary school in Adoni, Kandula was to receive a master’s in information systems this December. Kandula’s mother had taken a loan for her education”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area