Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:08 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts

Advertisements

I see a lot of negative posts about Seattle weather, but does anyone enjoy it? I'm trying to balance the positives with the negatives and I feel I've been getting a lot of negative feedback (and if that's how they feel I'm fine with that, I just want to get both sides).

Those of you that it doesn't bother, do you enjoy it, do you feel you can do all of your activities, does it affect your life in any way? I was really hyped on Seattle but so many people have been down about the weather I'm having second thoughts and we're getting closer to when we need to move every day. So does anyone like the weather here or no?

Old 03-15-2007, 01:28 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,706,292 times
My husband loves it. WHich is why we are here. He came up here 14 years ago to go to UW. But this town "fits" him. First he has a sinus issue that cold moist air helps. Secondly - he's a homebody, so he enjoys staying on the couch or cleaning the house (or remodeling the house) - he's not an active outdoor type.

He's very laid back and things don't bug him much. And he's funny and friendly - but terribly shy so he likes how everyone keeps to themselves here, and how everyone stays in their houses 10 months of the year.

Plus he enjoys a good beer at a pub and there are a billion of them up here. The past time up here is drinking, I think because everyone is so bored and so cold - the only thing to do is go to a pub. BUt I'm friendly and outgoing, and I like to be active and that means being warm. But like I said this town "fits" him.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:53 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,067,040 times
Obviously there are people who do like the weather there. Some have said so on this forum, even. Unfortunately though, some of those go to extremes to try and hush those of us who are honest about what our opinion is about the weather.

You are going to find both - those that love it, those that hate it - and likely very few that are in between...

Whether "we" collectively, on this forum, like it or not - you have to be honest with yourself about what you think you can or can't handle.

As for me, personally - I moved there from Northern VA. That area truly does have 4 seasons.... and they are nothing like Western WA - so for anyone to say Western WA has 4 seasons is off base.

I loved the cuddly, cozy rain/drizzly/chilly days, initially. Tolerated them as time went on. Hated and despised them prior to leaving.

I think it affects transplants more than natives, but I think that there are even natives who also don't enjoy the weather.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:55 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,711,210 times
The only way to know how the weather affects you is to come visit or else just try living here. It is what it is- very gray, chilly, damp for long months of the year. Also, like previous poster you may love it awhile then hate it. That's what happened to me.

So- don't let it keep you away. Give it a try. The area is very populated/growing so some like it or else find the other positives outweigh crummy winter weather.

You can get out all winter- I do- but it is very uncomfortable. You can't cross-country ski in mud but you can hike in Gor-Tex boots. Invest in good, warm, waterproof gear and brave the elements. No water-resistant footwear- have it waterproof. Same for coats/hats.

If you like snow-sports- you can do that in the mountains.

That said, I don't love the weather. But I also don't want to put a damper (no pun intended) on your plans since you may love the weather.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:55 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,107,121 times
You have to try it out for at least a year to see how you like it. The summers here are absolutely beautiful. Overall, I think the temperature is mild (I'm used to cold temperatures from the Northeast).

For 4 years, I tolerated the other 9 months pretty well until I had a child. Entertaining a toddler indoors (even if you try classes, library activities or playdates) was heartbreaking to me. If it was just cold, I'd bundle her up to enjoy the snow and sunshine. But it's so rainy, gray and damp that I feel she is missing out on enjoying the outdoors by living here. When I've asked other moms where they take their kids, many mention "the mall." I remember malls being no fun as a child so I've avoided that scene as a source of entertainment. We are in the process of relocating to Virginia and I'm looking forward to enjoying 4 seasons again (even if the summers are hot, humid and hazy).

Old 03-15-2007, 07:44 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,194,421 times
I wanna be there. I live in NJ, I will take rain "11" months out of the year if it means I can leave here!!! Does it ever get below 0 degree's there in the winter? Does it get to be 95 degree's with 95% humidity in the summer for a month straight? I have no problem staying in during winter months! I do it here anyway!!
Heck Im sure a getaway 1 weekend a month to a sunny region is within a few hour drive! All you people who r hatin the rain come live here for a year!!

Old 03-16-2007, 12:37 PM

170 posts, read 847,336 times
Wow, I can't believe that some people would consider Seattle's weather to be bad.

You want bad weather come down to Texas. Seriously.

I'm from Dallas, and in this part of Texas the weather is very, VERY hot. Between the months of May and September the temperatures are regularly over 100F. A day when we get down into the 90s is a welcome relief.

I'm not exaggerating. Sure, hot temps and sunny skies may sound ideal to some on the outside looking in; but I promise you it is unberable.

During the summer nobody spends more than 40 minutes outdoors if they don't have to. If they are outdoors for longer then its done by a pool or lake. Otherwise, all other activities such as jogging, rollerblading, even walking around has to be cut short otherwise you risk heat exaustion.

If the extream heat wasn't enough to make a person want to stay away, there is more. Let me tell you about the insect infestation we have here.

During those same burning summe months, every insect species known to man hatches and begins buzzing around. Sure, some like crickets and june bugs are no more than an annoyance; but most others make your life hell.

They will literally run you back indoors. Some smarter people will wait until night-time to play outdoor sports when the temps go down into the high 80s low 90s. What they didn't count on were the insects that latch on to your skin and suck you dry.

So there you are, outside trying to enjoy yourself and not think about the fact that you are melting like an icecube. Meanwhile every 10 seconds your hand slaps another part of your body as you get stung yet again by little bugs you can barely see.

People may complain about the "dark, grey" Seattle weather during 9 months of the year, but try living in Dallas weather for 5 months where you can't even handle going outside. Then during December and Janurary we get some extreme cold temepratures.

Don't take that as Dallas having 4 seasons because we don't. We have extreme heat during most of the year, then very cold temps during 1 1/2 months.

Currently around here it has already begun heating up. Its only March and yesterday we were already in the mid 80s. The intolerable heat is comming and we are already cringing.

Personally I plan on moving up to Seattle within the next year, 2 at the most. The weather is only a major factor in my decision. Beautiful scenery, educated and open minded people, and the great lifestyle are other factors which has led me up to the area.

I just hope I can find a decent apartment not too far away from SeaTac airport and also not too far away from the downtown area.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:17 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,706,292 times
I've never been to Texas but the heat doens't scare me. I'm from Sacramento where is also over 100 from May through September and August is just BLAZING hot - where it's anywhere from 105 to 118 all month long

I WISH I could go back there - I shouldn't have moved here. I don't like cold and I thought I could handle it - but I can't. My body during the summer is constantly wanting it higher then 70 or 80, and it just never gets there.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:40 PM

323 posts, read 1,969,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
I wanna be there. I live in NJ, I will take rain "11" months out of the year if it means I can leave here!!! Does it ever get below 0 degree's there in the winter?
Nope. 0 F is the record low at the airport and I think that it's only happened once (1953?)

Quote:
Does it get to be 95 degree's with 95% humidity in the summer for a month straight?
Definitely not! Seattle can go years between 90 degree days.

Quote:
I have no problem staying in during winter months! I do it here anyway!!
Just remember that we're talking about October thru June

Quote:
Heck Im sure a getaway 1 weekend a month to a sunny region is within a few hour drive!
Sunnier, yes - eastern Washington and the banana belt (rainshadow of the Olympic mountains) are both within a few hours drive. Sunny? Not so you'd know it.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:40 PM

686 posts, read 3,717,259 times
Default I love Seattle weather

I lived in Alaska for 14 years, and have been down to Seattle a couple times. I love the weather there. I think they have the best weather in the world. It doesn't rain as much as people think. It's just constantly overcast and a lot of times it drissles. Nothing real hard.

Winter weather can sometimes be annoying when you don't see a sunny sky for days, or it's raining for a week straight, but I don't mind. The summers to me, are the best anywhere in the world. Temps in the 70's. blue skies, light winds. A lot better than here in the desert. If you don't mind constant overcast skies about 228 days a year, than you should be fine.

I love it.

Daniel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area