Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,326,122 times

Advertisements

Good price on everything at this place! Those Mepros are cheaper here than almost everywhere else. They sell the sight pushers to install them too. Discount Gun Parts | Accessories | Top Gun Supply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 10:55 PM

I'd put that $225-$300+ in extra magazines and ammo if it were me. Go ahead and buy them if you wish. Just don't say old Axle didn't tell ya so!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,053,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
They aren't exactly slow, they just aren't that accurate. Point of aim versus point of impact is not even what I would call acceptable. Even when you TRY to adjust them with the little Allen wrench. What do you practice at 5 yards, 7 yards? The buds and I go all distances and most is at 15-20 yards. If you can hit at 15-20 yards, you sure can at 3, 5 or 7. There is no substitute for correct use of sights...... non. At that distance the dot is jumping all over the paper even bench rested. USE YOUR SIGHTS. IMO Meprolite are the best night sights you can buy.
Frankly, I don't think anyone was suggesting the CT as a replacement for proper focus on the front sight, sight alignment, trigger control, or follow through. However, to dismiss the utility completely for home self-defense in the dark, or as a training aid, reflects ideologic dogma getting in the way reality, IMO. YMMV

Old 12-09-2010, 12:17 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,534,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
I'd put that $225-$300+ in extra magazines and ammo if it were me. Go ahead and buy them if you wish. Just don't say old Axle didn't tell ya so!
I put Crimson Trace grips on my 1911 three years ago and I'm more than happy with the way they perform. I'm quite happy to use the sights when I can but when I can't that little red dot makes a whole lot of difference. Haven't seen any comments on the subject for old Axle that altered my opinion at all.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:43 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,035,799 times
Axel answered some questions I had, since I never had any laser sights. I can see how they would wiggle all over a target. Might get one on a target quicker, where maybe sites would take over if you could see them.

I solved that problem with a Kimber and it's night sights. Why I avoided laser was i have no intent to ID my location. I know where ever that red light comes from somebody on the other end is there. i don't think I want to be that somebody on the other end.

Laser would be great for shotting ferul cats under a 8 cord pile of cord wood not yet cut from logs

Old 12-09-2010, 02:38 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,690,882 times
I have Tritium sites on mine as well, little glow in the dark dots to line up.
I have a military tritium scope for day and night use on a Winchester 94 in .44 mag. If you can see it you can shoot it.
I would use buck shot instead of slugs. Buck shot will have a small pattern and even one hit can damage where a slug could miss. There is a new load with a slug and buckshot, I have never fired it.

I seen a ad I like for holsters in one of my gun magazines. A gun worn is supposed to be comforting not comfortable.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Axel answered some questions I had, since I never had any laser sights. I can see how they would wiggle all over a target. Might get one on a target quicker, where maybe sites would take over if you could see them.

I solved that problem with a Kimber and it's night sights. Why I avoided laser was i have no intent to ID my location. I know where ever that red light comes from somebody on the other end is there. i don't think I want to be that somebody on the other end.

Laser would be great for shotting ferul cats under a 8 cord pile of cord wood not yet cut from logs
They give away your position as well Mac. How many LEO's or Military do you see with a lazer sighting device on their handgun? Very-very few. In fact, the integrated recoil spring guide rod type can effect reliability and accuracy when used. I ain't using one, that's for sure! You are correct on your assessments Mac. You ain't no dummy! The time you spend f"n" around with that lazer sight, I already have ya!

Old 12-09-2010, 04:16 PM

It's a tacticool device, nothing more, nothing less. Urban Dictionary: Tacticool

Old 12-09-2010, 04:29 PM

What is the better choice for old or bad eyes on a handgun? Big Dot XS sights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RU...eature=related

Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,035,799 times
Axel I don't see LEO typs often, Once in the last 4 years to get my cc permit renewed. In his office his rig was hung on a hook on the wall with his jacket. We had a great time chattin it up, since the patch he wore my wife designed. he gave me oneof the old townie patches so I could have that side by side with the new one.

I don't know if you can google that up or not. Tamworth NH is the town. The old patch is the base for the new one, but the old one had a dog sled pulled by black ants, and my wife fixed that so dog pull the sled. LOL

I have the old tech cure for sites as one pistol I made in .62 has no sights what so ever

I don't own, never did a high tech flashlight but at least that would blind some one for a few moments. Still it isn't for me, because who knows what a bad guy has. I don't need a load of double buck headed to the last place the bad guy saw light either.

Once in my first marraige my now x got into a little too much wine, 1 glass was too much for her. man she caused a wild rucus, and left taking the car. I had my son safe in ed and the cops called. I allowed to chat in the door yard but brought my camera flash in case things went south. I knew the officer personally, and told him I had that flash. In conversation he was curiose to know if it would work like i said at night, and so he played victim. It worked.

I used to shoot with the townies in team shoots with and against them. When it was against them it was flintlocks against them and then we switched guns. Just thought you might find that interesting. Not all my town either. I have shot against cops in Pa, Ny, Mass, VT and Maine. Most of the time the flintlock crew wins. LOL

That feral cat was messing up my barn, which was 1/2 wood work shop, and peein on the horse grain bin. One night in deep snow he hid under a 8 cord pile and I had to lay down and get under that pile of wood. When I shot it I thought I missed since it's eye remained glowing in a flash light beam. I gave up, but come spring when I cut back in that pile it was there with a neat hole between it's eyes. Ice was around 4 feet high so I was head down not prone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness